Cartridge powder gone solid

b325

I was out shooting pheasants yesterday and one of the other guns was complaining about his cartridges. He said they were not working right. Hmmm I thought so I took a few off him . I dissected one this morning and the powder was solid.

Does anyone know if this would affect the performance?20191117_105633.jpg.c0b8af0364c2305acd1ad8a0f24dfdb8.jpg

It was one solid lump till I separated it.

7 minutes ago, markm said:

Have they got wet?

Is it a large load in a 67/70mm case and it’s simply compressed?

Not working right = keep missing (lol)

They were stored next too a radiator apparently. 

Its 32g of number 4 shot in a 67 mm case.

And you are correct . 

Looks like one of the Nobel sport family of laminated double base powders

https://www.nobelsport.it/en/products-en/powders/powder-shotgun-ammunition    S4n or SIPEn I would think.

They are very sticky and I would have no concern over the powder clumping together like that once the cartridge is assembled.

you do not need to worry about the powder unless it is a light dose, but you do not say why the gun had no confidence in the cartridges, or what make they were.

load data is given in the link, weight the powder and see if it matches the expected quantity to any of them or is it a light charge? If ok is the shot nice quality?  Fibre or plastic wad?

but if he is not happy with them buy another type because you need that confidence in what you put in the gun.

25 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

https://www.nobelsport.it/en/products-en/powders/powder-shotgun-ammunition    S4n or SIPEn I would think.

They are very sticky and I would have no concern over the powder clumping together like that once the cartridge is assembled.

you do not need to worry about the powder unless it is a light dose, but you do not say why the gun had no confidence in the cartridges, or what make they were.

load data is given in the link, weight the powder and see if it matches the expected quantity to any of them or is it a light charge? If ok is the shot nice quality?  Fibre or plastic wad?

but if he is not happy with them buy another type because you need that confidence in what you put in the gun.

Many thanks rbrowning2. Just as I suspected he was just having a bad day. It happens .

I would say when that powder is compressed then it will ignite once the primer is fired. I have just opened about 150 Lylevale shells and both shot and powder had to be tapped to get the last bits out where they had been compressed together.  Worded that a bit weird, the shot and powder where in their separate sections not together😀

We all blame our tools sometimes.

7 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

👍