'Destroying' a gun

wildfowler.250

10 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Even if it was possible the cost would put the gun above it's worth. Lots of nice hammer guns around at this price with good original barrels. The gun has no sentimental value to me.

But thanks anyway.

23 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I say this because you often see at auction "Stock and fore end only" but in fact the barrels are sometimes there too but of course you are not buying them. They are a gift.

I think you will find that auction houses (such as Holts) will only release the barrels once they have been effectivley rendered only fit for sleeving by cutting out a `vee` shaped segment of the barrel forward of the chamber. See quote below:

"Please note that guns sold as Stock, Action and Fore-end only are sold without barrels. The original barrels may be available for sleeving purposes, but will only be released cut in the approved manner as per Proof House guidelines. Please note there is a charge of �10 per item for this service."

On 18/11/2019 at 10:11, DUNKS said:

Just a thought. I do hope that's correct as I have a beautiful vintage Daintith hammer gun with gorgeous Damascus barrels and a stock to die for which is way out of proof "too much taken out of the barrels and pitting."

Due to a lack of space I may have to dispose of it and it's far too nice to scrap!

Would guns such as your still be shootable, or do they end up purely ornamental?

27 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Would guns such as your still be shootable, or do they end up purely ornamental?

So that I can actually shoot this lovely gun and feel safe I load low power black powder cartridges. They will break clays and are a lot of fun. You can of course shoot an out of proof gun, you just take a risk.

We have actually shot Nitro cartridges in it "on a long bit of string" and the barrels were OK it's just that more than 25thou has been taken out of the barrels which renders it out of proof. Plenty of meat left but rules is rules,

• 1 month later...