BSA blne sxs 12 gauge

Gun Watch

BSA blne sxs

£80

12 gauge Shotgun Private Seller
Used - Very Good Condition Mkt Rasen, Lincolnshire
Side by Side, Improved Cylinder, 1/4 Choke, 28" barrels

Description

Lovely 99 year old BSA sxs blne. Action is tight. barrels recently blued, woodwork sympathetically restored. Need room in cabinet so has to go.

This gun is being sold by Pigeon Watch member triumphant59. Message them here

View the full article

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

That’s a shame as a lot of carts these days are 70mm ( 2 3/4) - which I am trying to stick to as I can use the same in my semi auto then too! 

You wont find many s/s that are pleasant to shoot with 70mm cartridges ! This is a British classic gun for less than a slab of game cartridges.................

I have a shotgun exactly the same, same year more or less etc etc.  It was my Grandfathers and I take it out for an occasional stole.  Compared with todays shotguns it does feel heavy but it stil does the job if I ask it to.  Mine is now a little loose but not dangerously so. If this gun is as stated it will make a very good walked up rough shooters gun at a very reasonable price.

I think you can still buy the 65mm cartridges and amazingly I have seen my grandfather regularly flick two grey partridges out of a covey driven from our potatoe or mangols back in the 50s with what was available back then, usually Grand Prix 6s........  you know the saying...the nut behind the wheel.

56 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a shotgun exactly the same, same year more or less etc etc.  It was my Grandfathers and I take it out for an occasional stole.  Compared with todays shotguns it does feel heavy but it stil does the job if I ask it to.  Mine is now a little loose but not dangerously so. If this gun is as stated it will make a very good walked up rough shooters gun at a very reasonable price.

I think you can still buy the 65mm cartridges and amazingly I have seen my grandfather regularly flick two grey partridges out of a covey driven from our potatoe or mangols back in the 50s with what was available back then, usually Grand Prix 6s........  you know the saying...the nut behind the wheel.

or in my case i have been described as "shotgun thrombosis".....(clot on the end of the trigger)

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have got one in my cabinet at the moment , mine is a 2 3/4, with 28 inch barrels , although mine is an ejector I was always in the habit ( and still am ) in the taking the empties out myself , my one was a all the year gun , Pigeon shooting all through the year , wildfowling in the winter and the odd bit of game shooting , it is now semi retired but it have never let me down , at a rough estimate it have got through 30,000 + cartridges , like yours it is started to get loose and one of the trigger springs is broke , in the 14/15 years I have owned it the only job I had done was a new top lever spring , sadly with side x sides being dirt cheap now it is not worth spending a lot more money than the gun is worth .

Looking at the ops gun it will last the buyer several more years of constant use , you can still get 65m cartridges and whoever buy it will be owning a small part of English gun making history .

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, 100% and one wonders in 100yrs plus how many of these sooper dooper new fangled guns will be still in use. 

That is very cruel, have another glass to assuage your being abused:good:

just opend sum souff affwician red............................

Bit early for me ...5pm is yard arm here but have my glass at the ready. Talking 'glass', my wife came home a few weeks ago and presented me with a very nice cut glass whisky glass. I was shocked when I took hold of it ....it wasn't glass. She had purchased it from the Lakeland store and it is a form of plastic, unbreakable. We then went and purchased eight fizz flutes and they look the same and have fooled friends until they take hold.  Brilliant for barbies and they do look quality

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What’s the difference between 30g / 6 in a 70mm vs30g / 6 in a 65mm 

No matter what others may say ,I`ve always found  70mm game cartridges to give far more recoil than 67mm loads in any particular make! I also find that many of the trendy 67mm loads are not particularly suitable for lighter s/sides...you may note that Eley recently started to offer Impax & Grand Prix in softer loadings branded `Traditional` ,as many people found the normal ones a tad punchy in s/s.Stick with Hull Imperial,Impax Trad,Gamebore 2 1/2" and you`ll find them perfectly matched to a s/s.Hope this enlightens you and is of some help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2019 at 16:32, Penelope said:

5mm.

I have always believed that the 70mm cases are loaded to higher pressures, even with the same nominal load as 65mm cases. I am also sure they feel ‘livelier’ to shoot. I would not dream of firing one in a 2 1/2 inch chambered gun.

Wrong quote! I meant to quote

On 20/11/2019 at 07:48, Lloyd90 said:

What’s the difference between 30g / 6 in a 70mm vs30g / 6 in a 65mm 

Edited by London Best