Pheasant syndicate shoot- 16 November

Big Al

A day on our DIY pheasant shoot. A beat one, stand one shoot. This was the first half decent draw I've had this season. It's always great craic with friends. The ribbing can be remorseless and brutal so skin like a rhino is a prerequisite. 

No politically correct snowflakes tolerated!

9 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

some nice shooting there.

Thanks. 

9 hours ago, SHADEYADE16 said:

Great video

Really enjoyed watching your dog's work.

I'll just have to put a few more manners into their running in!

9 hours ago, butchdickason said:

Thanks, really enjoyed both the shooting and the dogs working.

Thanks for that! Much appreciated. 

19 minutes ago, Konnie said:

Thanks for posting, always look for your videos. 

Nice bit of ground you shoot over there, great habitat 

Thanks Konnie.  When it rains, the ground gets very wet. It can be very tough walking but well worth the effort - usually! We saw a few woodcock down where I was lifting the dogs over the fence. One was shot, but there were a lot more seen.

A good watch once again, thanks for posting.

I wondered if the hen pheasant that Ted eventually picked might have been a runner (as Bear missed it), but it seemed stone dead when he brought it back.

Running in is such an emotive subject it deserves a book all to itself.
My view is that running in is only a sin on walked up shooting, where the dog can disturb unshot ground, by running in to a bird.
When wildfowling, especially on tidal estuaries, I liked my dogs in ASAP, ducks can seem to disappear if left too long on water.
On driven days it may look untidy, but I don't think its a crime.

There is a lot of difference between a dog "running in" and a dog "rioting".
I have seen "rioting" dog owners sent home immediately.

2 hours ago, Cranfield said:

A good watch once again, thanks for posting.

I wondered if the hen pheasant that Ted eventually picked might have been a runner (as Bear missed it), but it seemed stone dead when he brought it back.

Running in is such an emotive subject it deserves a book all to itself.
My view is that running in is only a sin on walked up shooting, where the dog can disturb unshot ground, by running in to a bird.
When wildfowling, especially on tidal estuaries, I liked my dogs in ASAP, ducks can seem to disappear if left too long on water.
On driven days it may look untidy, but I don't think its a crime.

There is a lot of difference between a dog "running in" and a dog "rioting".
I have seen "rioting" dog owners sent home immediately.

Thanks Cranfield- the hen pheasant was stone dead. I hadn't marked it well so I was directing Bear into the wrong area! I just "gave Ted his head" and he found it. There was little wind, so not much scent either.

Like you,  I am quite happy for my dog to run in when wildfowling but would prefer better manners on a pheasant day, but how do you explain that to a Labrador?!?

I think the big corkscrew tether will be out the next shoot - as you say, it just looks untidy, especially when there are two of the brutes!

2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanks BIG AL some lovely dog work been taking couple days Beating on friends small pheasant shoot Great fun with the guns etc 👍👍👍

Cheers Gerry. It's hard to beat the craic. Like I said, you need skin like a rhino on ours. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 hours ago, greenshank1 said:

Great video 

Great to see you and the dogs having great fun at the Pheasants.

The banter at the Pheasants is the best bit of the day. 

Many thanks again greenshank. 

Sadly, my fowling videos will have to be put on pause. The less scrupulous of our number are overshooting the location(s) I shoot. I'm a victim of my own videos. I'm a bit peed off about it, but I'll still make them. I just won't release them until after the season. 

My pheasant / corvid / pigeon clips will continue. 

I really appreciate the kind comments. 

Big Al 

Thats a real shame that folk are over shooting the area and from your generousity of sharing your videos. Your videos have been inspirational.

Sadly the shooting community can be its own worst enemy. 

Instead of posting them at the end of season you could maybe send your videos to pigeon watch members who appreciate your videos for what they are with no ill intentions. Maybe direct message them ?

Whatever you decide all the very best to you and the dogs for the rest of the season and thanks again for sharing all your videos so far. 

29 minutes ago, greenshank1 said:

Big Al 

Thats a real shame that folk are over shooting the area and from your generousity of sharing your videos. Your videos have been inspirational.

Sadly the shooting community can be its own worst enemy. 

Instead of posting them at the end of season you could maybe send your videos to pigeon watch members who appreciate your videos for what they are with no ill intentions. Maybe direct message them ?

Whatever you decide all the very best to you and the dogs for the rest of the season and thanks again for sharing all your videos so far. 

It's an option alright. A good idea. The problem is that the areas I shoot are bereft of wildfowling now  so even making a clip (getting the shooting) could be problematic.  But I have an ace up my sleeve - a new coastal wildfowling club. Leave it with me .....