First woodcock

Farmboy91

11 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Saw my first one today,

Passing through a small gap in the top of the garden which leads into one my perms and the woodcock burst from the bushes and across the fields. 

Any one else in suffolk seen one lately? 

We were on the Norfolk / Suffolk border on Saturday , saw a few and one was added to the bag ( the only one that was fired at ). with the full moon moon last week I would have thought there should be several arrived in and around our area .

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We were on the Norfolk / Suffolk border on Saturday , saw a few and one was added to the bag ( the only one that was fired at ). with the full moon moon last week I would have thought there should be several arrived in and around our area .

Thanks for sharing, I'm on the border with Essex, I've been shooting round here for 2 1/2 years and its the first I've ever seen. There is a shoot run down in the village, next time I see the bloke I know involved in it I'll ask whether they have had any in the bag. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thanks for sharing, I'm on the border with Essex, I've been shooting round here for 2 1/2 years and its the first I've ever seen. There is a shoot run down in the village, next time I see the bloke I know involved in it I'll ask whether they have had any in the bag. 

Some shoots now have a policy where they will only shoot Woodcock if the gun who shot it want one . where I go this coming Saturday they leave them alone and overall there seem to be a less desire to shoot Woodcock than there was in the past .

This is not to say you shouldn't or cant shoot them as it is still perfectly legal to shoot Woodcock , it is purely up to the individual or shoot rules .

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Some shoots now have a policy where they will only shoot Woodcock if the gun who shot it want one . where I go this coming Saturday they leave them alone and overall there seem to be a less desire to shoot Woodcock than there was in the past .

This is not to say you shouldn't or cant shoot them as it is still perfectly legal to shoot Woodcock , it is purely up to the individual or shoot rules .

I had read some where that some shoots had adopted that type of policy, I personally wouldn't turn one down having never tried one. 

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I've yet to see another since I posted this. 

Think I've jinxed myself. 

We haven't touched the woods to much up to now , this Saturday we will be in what is normally good Woodcock habitat and we should see a few even though the team who are coming are not that keen on shooting them .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We haven't touched the woods to much up to now , this Saturday we will be in what is normally good Woodcock habitat and we should see a few even though the team who are coming are not that keen on shooting them .

I think I'd be just as happy to see another as shoot one, much like hares as they are pretty thin on the ground round here. 

Have a good day whatever they shoot 👍

In the 80s I used to have small walked up days on the sides of the Welsh Hills around Crickhowell and up to near Builth Wells with the pointers, in amongst the scrub and thorn trees at around 600ft seemed to be the morning resting place for them and double figures was a good day for four guns and good sport with the pointers. A brace each to take home was the bonus.

Only about four seen this year coming out of drives and not seen a gun raised yet.  No objection if a gun wishes to enjoy them on the plate.

Plenty in Mid Suffolk still! In there usual places. Often see them and them moving at dusk. Plenty of hare's about to. See loads when brush;n on local shoot and have taken photographers out in hide when decoying to get pics of them.They almost know the routine and escape routes on shoots. Comical and often in no hurry to get out of the way. Have had them run in to my legs on tramlines in some covers. Some farms have really knocked numbers back though as fed up with so much trouble from threatening gangs with long dogs and little action being taken against them. . . .  BTO ringer got barn owl in nets  at weekend. A first for farm. A well over average weight new bird to. Still plenty of voles about. He had record numbers of blue tits last week.  NB  

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

In the 80s I used to have small walked up days on the sides of the Welsh Hills around Crickhowell and up to near Builth Wells with the pointers, in amongst the scrub and thorn trees at around 600ft seemed to be the morning resting place for them and double figures was a good day for four guns and good sport with the pointers. A brace each to take home was the bonus.

Only about four seen this year coming out of drives and not seen a gun raised yet.  No objection if a gun wishes to enjoy them on the plate.

This is my ground, heather, from sea level to 1200 ft,  my Spaniel and I enjoy the walk mostly 

455334606_phoca_thumb_l_lazybedstoeheadfw.jpg.1d34709e8d07ddcc690aebc88acab359.jpg

2060977555_thumbnail(3).jpg.884b9f00225086a29d67a680a2c93ffa.jpg

Edited by islandgun

On 17/11/2019 at 22:42, Farmboy91 said:

Saw my first one today,

Passing through a small gap in the top of the garden which leads into one my perms and the woodcock burst from the bushes and across the fields. 

Any one else in suffolk seen one lately? 

Have seen them for a couple of weeks  now around Newmarket and Rougham.

51 minutes ago, islandgun said:

This is my ground, heather, from sea level to 1200 ft,  my Spaniel and I enjoy the walk mostly 

455334606_phoca_thumb_l_lazybedstoeheadfw.jpg.1d34709e8d07ddcc690aebc88acab359.jpg

2060977555_thumbnail(3).jpg.884b9f00225086a29d67a680a2c93ffa.jpg

Terrific bit of ground to wander about with the dog and a gun under your arm , the only bit I can find wrong is the flight pond behind your Spaniel is a bit on the large size and would take some feeding .

Have you had snow already at sea level or are you well above sea level .

Cracking photo of your dog , I can almost feel how cold it is and I cant even see your dog shivering 😊