restriction issues or not

the last engineer

Just wondering of the restrictions we face both sides of the pond with Rifles/handguns Etc, obviously no handguns but what of airgun pistols? 

I'm sure the majority of shooters in the UK prefer the sub 12 ft lb gun to stay within the rule and regulation, less hassle for one thing but with more legislation coming in and even sub rifles becoming more controlled would the hoops be less of a pain?  I am not 100 % up on the UK legal side but hear enough to know things are becoming more restrictive, and with the more powerful PCP's do people cross over from rim/centerfire to these.

The U.S. have come on leaps over the last five plus years and big bore Airgun use is soaring, plus the ability to use Moderators without special license requirements.

I think they have it right where an Airgun is not a Firearm...   

one major difference here is Moderators, we (Canadians) are not permitted the use of period..... beats the hell out of me for Airguns as backyard friendly guns can be made even more friendly.

And all you PCP guys, what equipment do you rely on for filling,  Tanks or Compressors ?  how many fit guys still use hand pumps ?

curious is me

TLE 

As Kalahari said air pistols are only ever up to 6ft lb air rifles upto 12ft lb without a licence and you can have a mod on it as well, if over 12ft lb then it has to be on a firearms certificate as does any mod for it. Hand guns are still legal for private ownership in some parts of the UK but without a mod and can be owned in the rest of the uk as a slaughtering instrument even with a mod  but must have a restricted mag capacity and you need a very very good reason to own one before it will be granted.

1 hour ago, the last engineer said:

Just wondering of the restrictions we face both sides of the pond with Rifles/handguns Etc, obviously no handguns but what of airgun pistols? 

I'm sure the majority of shooters in the UK prefer the sub 12 ft lb gun to stay within the rule and regulation, less hassle for one thing but with more legislation coming in and even sub rifles becoming more controlled would the hoops be less of a pain?  I am not 100 % up on the UK legal side but hear enough to know things are becoming more restrictive, and with the more powerful PCP's do people cross over from rim/centerfire to these.

The U.S. have come on leaps over the last five plus years and big bore Airgun use is soaring, plus the ability to use Moderators without special license requirements.

I think they have it right where an Airgun is not a Firearm...   

one major difference here is Moderators, we (Canadians) are not permitted the use of period..... beats the hell out of me for Airguns as backyard friendly guns can be made even more friendly.

And all you PCP guys, what equipment do you rely on for filling,  Tanks or Compressors ?  how many fit guys still use hand pumps ?

curious is me

TLE 

I have a 22 PCP silenced for close quarter combat on grey squirrels and rats. Silenced(totally) 22RF comes into play where distances start to stretch and there is a safe background, then we go up to 17HMR with silence for reaching out precison stuff, then a silenced 17 Remington for reaching further on and on all but my 375JDJ and 300H&H are silencer fitted.

Just moved over to a tank for filling my PCP but retained the pump just in case tank becomes empty. I'm 79 plus and do not find pumping my AA S200 up to 180 a problem at all. It is down to technique and use of body weight and a good pump.

Never ceases to amaze me about silencers both in the USA and Canada. They happily let you have the dangerous bit and I have suspicions that there is some back handed play in there from the makers of hearing aids.  Basically I believe that is how they became quite normal here, because the authorities feared bening sued for loss of hearing by gun users.

My rifle has a buddy bottle,  Rapid 7 so I've always managed just getting it filled every now and then. 

I did once try it without the mod and what a noise.

Scotland has had extra restrictions put on air rifles,  think you need a good reason now and police visit etc, a move to ruin shooting as that's how kids start out.

I read an article from air gunner or air gun world a few months ago from a guy in the USA,  seems a massive number of different options,  it was a really good read.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I use a dive cylinder as do most UK PCP owners, compressor for own use is becoming more popular with prices coming down.

Are you allowed shrouds fixed or adjustable like on the impacts etc as they're not strictly a silencer ?

all my PCP's have shrouds, they remove any baffles from them prior to importing, the "AIR-STRIPPER" is still on the muzzle helping to remove some of the blast but that's it.

taking a shroud off and firing is very noticeable from a volume point of view,  weird thing is i tried to purchase a shroud from the U.S. for my Marauder, no can do... no one will ship it to me. 

23 minutes ago, figgy said:

You could put a hair roller and a j cloth inside the shroud. This is what weirauch done with their silencer.

Should take the sound a bit more. Have a look online.

could do, i don't use them anymore 😂  very frowned upon here unfortunately Figgy, too much at stake to risk.