Sugar beet

Farmboy91

pigeons dont really go for sugarbeet.........if you see them on the seed bed its usually sunning themselves..................alot of what folk think is bird damage is usually on the field edge and is mostly done by ...rodents at the seedling stage.......i have shot well over sugarbeet ....but it was on a flightline..........

you would be better off shooting /decoying them on the halm after they were lifted.....that will work......the trouble is with new farming practices....they will lift beet.......plough...... and drill the same day now...........which could be a window of oppotunity for you .........

Edited by ditchman

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

pigeons dont really go for sugarbeet.........if you see them on the seed bed its usually sunning themselves..................alot of what folk think is bird damage is usually on the field edge and is mostly done by ...rodents at the seedling stage.......i have shot well over sugarbeet ....but it was on a flightline..........

you would be better off shooting /decoying them on the halm after they were lifted.....that will work......the trouble is with new farming practices....they will lift beet.......plough...... and drill the same day now...........which could be a window of oppotunity for you .........

Whatever happens I'm in for a wait then 😂

Thanks for sharing that with me though 👍

As ditchman said you may get some shooting when its been lifted, I have shot pigeons on it during a very bad winter back in the early 70s but I would not get your hopes to high, you are in the same boat as a lot of us, very few crops went in because of weather conditions and winter rape has failed on lots of farms, it will be interesting to see what pigeon shooting reports we get this winter.

5 hours ago, old'un said:

As ditchman said you may get some shooting when its been lifted, I have shot pigeons on it during a very bad winter back in the early 70s but I would not get your hopes to high, you are in the same boat as a lot of us, very few crops went in because of weather conditions and winter rape has failed on lots of farms, it will be interesting to see what pigeon shooting reports we get this winter.

5 hours ago, cardigun said:

I've seen pigeon feeding on a sugar beet field after it had been lifted.  A shot bird had "beet sawdust" in his crop.  The lifting machine has a horizontal circular saw to top the beet, and left little piles of sawdust.

Thank you both, whatever happens ill go out and give it a go when they do come up. 

Theres still a few birds about round here wandering round on the stubbles but I can't imagine theres much left to eat now, last two I've had the crops have been full of holly berries. 

Sugar beet for pigeon shooters is a hit and miss crop , the crop is drilled when the land is at the right temp around late March and throughout April , very little shooting on the drilling but you might get a few from the previous crop when the field is cultivated in preparation for the beet seed to go in .

The time for lifting the beet can range from early September right up to late January , you can get some Pigeons off the beet tops but nowadays you need to on the ball as they wont be there long before the next crop is drilled .

Your best bet at this time of the year is to find any rape fields near to you and keep an eye on them , sooner or later Pigeons will start showing an interest and that will be a good time to find the owner and try and gain permission . GOOD LUCK

22 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Found out today that my nearest perm is going to have sugar beet, bit sure when it's going in as I was told the ground is too wet, anyone had any good days over it? Do the pige like it? 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Sugar beet for pigeon shooters is a hit and miss crop , the crop is drilled when the land is at the right temp around late March and throughout April , very little shooting on the drilling but you might get a few from the previous crop when the field is cultivated in preparation for the beet seed to go in .

The time for lifting the beet can range from early September right up to late January , you can get some Pigeons off the beet tops but nowadays you need to on the ball as they wont be there long before the next crop is drilled .

Your best bet at this time of the year is to find any rape fields near to you and keep an eye on them , sooner or later Pigeons will start showing an interest and that will be a good time to find the owner and try and gain permission . GOOD LUCK

Thanks MM, I haven't seen the farmer to speak to lately so I'm not 100% sure what's gone in on my biggest perm, they've only done two so far, the rest is still stubble, I'll make sure to report if I do get any good days though 👍

My best bag on harvested sugar beet was around 190 a few years back. I have shot several good bags on it over the years.

I have never had much success over the young crop, though I had over 100 from a standing crop one late December, though I think it may have been the weeds they were mainly feeding on.

32 minutes ago, motty said:

My best bag on harvested sugar beet was around 190 a few years back. I have shot several good bags on it over the years.

I have never had much success over the young crop, though I had over 100 from a standing crop one late December, though I think it may have been the weeds they were mainly feeding on. 

With a bit of luck it will produce some good numbers then, just have to be patient and see what comes of it. 

I'll be happy if I can pull 19 off it 😂