Poor old Elizabeth

KB1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take your point Henry but I wonder what the situation would be if instead of being the arrogant tw*t we know him to be, he was actually a decent individual who despite his priviliged background, had earned the respect of those around him.  I'm pretty sure we'd all be defending him if so.  He's brought this all upon himself.

24 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

There's never been a suggestion that Epstein was a pedophile. Let's not get carried away here.

Do you get different news to the rest of us in your part of the world? There’s plenty of suggestion, and I would argue good evidence that Epstein was a pedophile dating back to the early 2000’s. 

11 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Do you get different news to the rest of us in your part of the world? There’s plenty of suggestion, and I would argue good evidence that Epstein was a pedophile dating back to the early 2000’s. 

I think we have different understandings of the word pedophile. I'm going by the one that's to be found in a dictionary.

Edited by Retsdon

6 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I think we have different understandings of the word pedophile. Mine is the one in the dictionary.

There have been numerous allegations against him by girls saying they were underage at the time (younger than 18), not just one or two. Many cases have been shadily settled out of court too. 

By all means go to American states where the age of consent is different to the UK with your definition of a pedophile and see how it works out for you. Not very well I wouldn’t think, unless you have the money and connections Epstein had!  

2 minutes ago, zipdog said:

There have been numerous allegations against him by girls saying they were underage at the time (younger than 18), not just one or two.

Not arguing about that at all! But a pedophile is, by definition, someone who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children. These girls were for the most part, 16 and up. Agreed, they were under 18, and there are very good reasons -  that I fully agree with  - why it is illegal for older men to have sexual relations with girls of that age, even in some US states when the girls are themselves older than the minimum age of consent. None the less his crimes don't qualify him as a pedophile, which is something different.

9 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Not arguing about that at all! But a pedophile is, by definition, someone who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children. These girls were for the most part, 16 and up. Agreed, they were under 18, and there are very good reasons -  that I fully agree with  - why it is illegal for older men to have sexual relations with girls of that age, even in some US states when the girls are themselves older than the minimum age of consent. None the less his crimes don't qualify him as a pedophile, which is something different.

Isn’t it common in some areas of the US for men to marry girls under 17?  For example didn't Jerry Lee Lewis marry a 13 year old girl? I agree that Epstein can’t correctly be described as a pedophile.....a sex offender in law yes! But not a pedophile!

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Isn’t it common in some areas of the US for men to marry girls under 17?  For example didn't Jerry Lee Lewis marry a 13 year old girl? I

You're showing your age!! https://www.ageofconsent.net/states / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_age_in_the_United_States

Edited by Retsdon

Not arguing about that at all! But a pedophile is, by definition, someone who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children. 

You need to get a new dictionary. He was a paedophile.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/paedophile

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/paedophile

Edited by Gordon R

17 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

A child is a young person below the age of puberty, though in legal terms a child is defined as a person below the age of majority (which was 21 in the 1970’s and is now 18 in the UK) so in law, if a person over 18 had sexual relations with someone under 18 they would be a paedophile?

UK law deems you are a child at 18, but allows children to have sex at 16?

Edited by panoma1

4 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Not arguing about that at all! But a pedophile is, by definition, someone who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children. These girls were for the most part, 16 and up

Are these ones young enough to qualify? 

In 2005, police in Palm Beach, Florida began investigating Epstein after a parent complained that he had sexually abused her 14-year-old daughter.[6] Epstein pleaded guilty and was convicted in 2008 by a Florida state court of procuring an underage girl for prostitution and of soliciting a prostitute.[7] He served almost 13 months in custody, but with extensive work release. He was convicted of only these two crimes as part of a plea deal; federal officials had in fact identified 36 girls, some as young as 14 years old, whom Epstein had sexually abused.[8][9

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

No, you need a better one than an online learner's version. Paedophilia is a recognized psychological abnormality that has defined parameters. 

You're not using the Saudi dictionary are you? 

Their err.. parameters are a little different I believe 😂

No, you need a better one than an online learner's version. Paedophilia is a recognized psychological abnormality that has defined parameters. 

The world knows Epstein for what he was, but you chose to correct another poster. Whilst the term "generally" is applied to paedophiles, the dictionaries are clear - "child". Feel free to argue the toss, but it is a bit pointless. I am at a loss as to why anyone would try to split hairs about a monster.

PS - I posted a couple of links, but the medical sites do not support you either. Let it drop.