stiff joints

misser

Morning to the PW knowledge pool.....I have a 6 yr old lab that does quite a lot of water work and as of late is a bit stiff on the back end after a day out...has anyone any recommendations to something that could alleviate the stiffness...was thinking about cod liver oil or glucosamine and chondroitin tablets on a daily basis might help...am sure there are more knowledgeable folk on here on the subject...any comments welcome....atb...misser  

My oldest Springer, who is now a little over 8 years old, gets a bit stiff after a working day. It is noticeable after being out for the day that she hesitates before jumping into the car or her favourite chair.

On her annual check up and booster a couple of months back, we mentioned this to our Vet who after a bit of checking suggested the early onset of athoritus.

He recommended a daily tablet of `YOUMOVE Advance 360` manufactured by Lintbells. While Vets do stock this, its not a prescription only tablet and I managed to get some off the bay. Not cheap, but it has deffinately made a difference. Lintbells seem to do a range of products to aid stiffness so you might care to google them to see their range of products.

Edited by JJsDad

47 minutes ago, misser said:

as of late is a bit stiff on the back end after a day out

My eldest Springer is now a little over 8 years old. We noticed a couple of months back a reluctance to jump into the car at the end of the day or into her favourite chair when we got home.

On a visit to the Vet a few weeks back I brought this up and he checked out her rear legs and hips, which made her cry out. His diagnosis was the early stages of osteoarthritis. He recommended a daily tablet of `Yumove Advance 360` produced by Lintbells. While Vets stock this tablet, it is not prescription only, so I managed to buy some off the `bay`. Not cheap, but they have certainly made a difference to her mobilty when tired after a days working or picking-up.

Lintbells do a range of supplements for joints etc, so it might be worth googling them to see if another product would help. I can only speak for the Advance 360, which has made a noticeable improvement but is directly aimed at relieving arthritis. A trip to the Vet would confirm the root cause of the problem.

Edited by JJsDad

Pretty sure you will find that green lipped muscle powder is the main active ingredient in youmove - get it from ebay and save yourself a fortune - you can even buy the stuff in Tesco for pennies. As far as I know there are no clinical tests that show any benefits whatsoever taking it but many people swear by it and it seemed to help our aging springer - but it takes several weeks to have any effect. 

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Pretty sure you will find that green lipped muscle powder is the main active ingredient in youmove - get it from ebay and save yourself a fortune - you can even buy the stuff in Tesco for pennies. As far as I know there are no clinical tests that show any benefits whatsoever taking it but many people swear by it and it seemed to help our aging springer - but it takes several weeks to have any effect. 

spot on :good:

i know i keep bangin on about this ...but when i bought my dogs back from a hard day i put them under an infa red lamp.......the physio's use them and ive had it on me before now.........it does work and the heat goes deep into the bones......

Edited by ditchman

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2019 at 17:05, ditchman said:

spot on :good:

i know i keep bangin on about this ...but when i bought my dogs back from a hard day i put them under an infa red lamp.......the physio's use them and ive had it on me before now.........it does work and the heat goes deep into the bones......

Those red heat lamps is it mate? What one do you use? 

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Those red heat lamps is it mate? What one do you use? 

think ...if i can remember they are 1200 watt...and about £8-9 quid  (less off the internet).....they are screw in so you will need an adadaptor (screw to bayonet)....either that or go down your farm store and buy the whole thing complete with ali' shade....they use them in the farrowing sheds............

dogs dont need them on all night just until they are dry ....so buy a plug in timer...