Wood gouge

Farmboy91

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced set for the novice? 

I'm wanting to have a goo at making wooden spoons and having a play with wood working in general. I've had a look on the bay, I don't want to spend a fortune but equally would like something that isn't going to fall apart the first time I use it 😂

Most of my stuff is dual purpose, such as hatchet and pruning say for rough work, mora HD for smoothing and planing, except hook knife (mine is a hoof one as less expensive than mora version) and a multitool similar to below for finer work when carving patterns etc but different manufacturer which is not needed for basic implements but it soon becomes addictive and is portable when camping etc.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-old-timer-woodworking-knife-24ot-wood-carving-knife.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-eQk7n35QIViYjVCh0zkA1mEAQYESABEgK6KfD_BwE

Edited by Stonepark

5 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Most of my stuff is dual purpose, such as hatchet and pruning say for rough work, mora HD for smoothing and planing, except hook knife (mine is a hoof one as less expensive than mora version) and a multitool similar to below for finer work but different manufacturer.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-old-timer-woodworking-knife-24ot-wood-carving-knife.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-eQk7n35QIViYjVCh0zkA1mEAQYESABEgK6KfD_BwE

Thank you, I think the tools on there might be a bit fiddly, but then again they might be good as I wouldn't be able to take too much off at a time. 

To make spoons from logs you need:

An axe. For cheapness and quality look at Robin Wood’s carving axe.

A knife. Look at the Mora 120 or 106.

Spoon knives (both left and right handed). Look at Ray Iles spoon knives. Good quality at a good price.

Also, arm yourself with a folding pruning saw.

You can get all this from Woodland Craft Supplies in Peterborough or Ray Iles at The Old Tool Store near Horncastle

If you really want gouges, look at Ashley Iles (Ray Iles’ brother). They are based in Spilsby.

However, though gouges can be used for spoons, you only need the items listed above.

I don’t know if you have seen any of his stuff, but if you need guidance and inspiration, then look on YouTube for Barn The Spoon.

He also has an excellent book called Spön.

The wood should be as green as possible, ie. cut straight from the tree. Silver Birch is an excellent wood for spoons.

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Warning, spoon carving is very addictive.

Cheers, Paul

Here’s one I did earlier 

C2A86741-CE88-4C2E-931E-84F39055BEB4.jpeg.86c3f131ed706e47e2b8c7aa86006064.jpegAC0E604A-9F9D-4C44-8113-4855412432DB.jpeg.f9bb079da2c6a5e741d033342cf2367f.jpeg

Edited by moondoggy
Addition

6 hours ago, moondoggy said:

To make spoons from logs you need:

An axe. For cheapness and quality look at Robin Wood’s carving axe.

A knife. Look at the Mora 120 or 106.

Spoon knives (both left and right handed). Look at Ray Iles spoon knives. Good quality at a good price.

Also, arm yourself with a folding pruning saw.

You can get all this from Woodland Craft Supplies in Peterborough or Ray Iles at The Old Tool Store near Horncastle

If you really want gouges, look at Ashley Iles (Ray Iles’ brother). They are based in Spilsby.

However, though gouges can be used for spoons, you only need the items listed above.

I don’t know if you have seen any of his stuff, but if you need guidance and inspiration, then look on YouTube for Barn The Spoon.

He also has an excellent book called Spön.

The wood should be as green as possible, ie. cut straight from the tree. Silver Birch is an excellent wood for spoons.

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Warning, spoon carving is very addictive.

Cheers, Paul

Here’s one I did earlier 

C2A86741-CE88-4C2E-931E-84F39055BEB4.jpeg.86c3f131ed706e47e2b8c7aa86006064.jpegAC0E604A-9F9D-4C44-8113-4855412432DB.jpeg.f9bb079da2c6a5e741d033342cf2367f.jpeg

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! 

I'll definitely give the YouTube channel a look. 

What started it was my little boy, he's taken a real interest in Bushcraft lately, which I think is great because he's not interested in xbox or telly anymore, he wants to go and make a camp and light a fire with a steel etc so I've been looking into bushcraft activities. 

I did have a brief look on Google last night before I posted on here, I have a hand axe, and also a mora but I couldn't tell you which model, was hoping to just need a gouge to carve the bowl lol. 

I'll give the websites you mentioned a look and see what I can come up with. 

Thanks again 👍

Great news about your boy wanting to be outdoors, my son was just like that.

To enhance your bushcraft experience, treat yourselves to a Kelly Kettle, children love them.

If you have a knife and axe, then you could get away with just one spoon knife (also called Crook Knife). If you can only afford one, get one to suit your dominant hand. I personally would avoid the Mora double sided ones.

Just make sure your tools are razor sharp. You need to be able to shave your arm with them, and that includes your axe.

Go out together and have fun. These are precious times, nurture them.

He's taken a while to come around to it, at first he had no interest when I asked him if he wanted to go out with the gun, or have a wander in the woods but as he's seen me do it and talk to him about what I've done while he's not been here he can't wait to get out now. 

I'm going to pick up a kettle so hopefully in the summer we can stick a tarp up and camp out properly, he'd do it tonight if I'd let him lol. 

I will give the crook knife a look too, thanks. I don't mind investing a bit in tools as I go along, I've got a few sharpening bits I've collected over the last year so keeping them sharp shouldn't be a problem. I've a few bits of scrap wood from the trees we've had down in the last year or so, so I'll get practicing, if the results aren't to horrendous I'll post a pic 👍

Thanks again for the advice. 

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

He's taken a while to come around to it, at first he had no interest when I asked him if he wanted to go out with the gun, or have a wander in the woods but as he's seen me do it and talk to him about what I've done while he's not been here he can't wait to get out now. 

I'm going to pick up a kettle so hopefully in the summer we can stick a tarp up and camp out properly, he'd do it tonight if I'd let him lol. 

I will give the crook knife a look too, thanks. I don't mind investing a bit in tools as I go along, I've got a few sharpening bits I've collected over the last year so keeping them sharp shouldn't be a problem. I've a few bits of scrap wood from the trees we've had down in the last year or so, so I'll get practicing, if the results aren't to horrendous I'll post a pic 👍

Thanks again for the advice. 

Kettle is ok for water but not great for food, wood gas stove and pans are better as easier to do water and food. Can also use wood pellets (biomass pellets) for practice at home.

16 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Kettle is ok for water but not great for food, wood gas stove and pans are better as easier to do water and food. Can also use wood pellets (biomass pellets) for practice at home.

I think somewhere I've got some surplus mess tins, I was planning on using them for food. I've seen the ration packs with the boil in the bag stuff in about. 

What he actually wants to do is shoot a rabbit and cook it up lol I haven't seen so many since the weather has turned though. 

We've got plenty of wood to burn as we have a small strip of trees, only about 20ft across but about 100yrs long so there's a fair bit of dry dead fall etc.