Good looking gun

Devilcat

Hi,

My first post so apologies for any mistakes in forum etiquette. I would appreciate some advice please on choice of a 12 bore. I’m an inexperienced member of a syndicate on a walked up ( I think that’s the correct terminology?) pheasant shoot. I currently use a 20 bore Silver Pigeon with varying degrees of success. I’m constantly being told to get a 12 bore by the other members. Assuming I follow their advice, what should I consider? I intend to spend up to £3k. I have no bias towards any make or design features as I don’t yet know enough to know what difference these make. I’m embarrassed to admit that what the gun looks like is currently most important. With this in mind, I like the look of the Silver Pigeon V, Rizzini round body models and the Chapuis C35. I’ve asked the other syndicate members and have received as many suggestions as there are members. I would be grateful for any advice from the forum, I realise this is a question you must get asked all the time and if so, perhaps you could point me towards the appropriate thread.

Thank you

I would be patient and get some lessons on clays from a coach.  The coach will advise whether you are sufficiently 'consistent' in your gun mounting and shooting style to get a gun fitted.  It is essential to develop and practice a consistent mount.  Once that is in place - you can move forward from there.  Consistency is easier to achieve on clays first.

2 hours ago, sam triple said:

I would not bother changing get your 20 fitted ,if not already and persevere with it ,what make you think you will be better with a 12 bore

Exactly.... why not buy a 10 bore therefore?  The 20 is perfect for a mixed walked up shoot, so go spend the money you would waste on another shotgun on having a few lessons and check the gun you have fits.  If your new to the game you do not become world champion over night.     As said above plus go out nd shoot some sporting clays, not silly difficult ones, some which will build your confidence.     AND  have fun doing it.       I shoot 410 almost exclusively, occasionally a 16 gauge and hold my own against the general run of the mill 36gram brigade at every day birds. It is down to where you put that pattern.

So as pointed out above the key thing is gun fit, a 20 bore is an ideal walk up gun and silver pigeon are great guns (I and a lot of my friends shoot them).....Generally as a 'new'  shooter you'll be shooting at the target and not giving the bird the correct lead. Go shoot some sporting clays ideally with an instructor over your shoulder and I'm sure it will make a positive difference to your hit ratio.

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I always liked the Browning, though the Ruger Red Label was the sexiest shotgun ever made. 

D5D3917D-9F30-432F-8011-148D316DC54A.jpeg

F71BC27A-C137-47BA-839B-0FDABB7FE399.jpeg

Another vote for the ruger, you do not see them over here just  not popular,

Handling wise and looks they are excellent. They are not Brownings or mirokus but they are a cut above most of the other popular guns we see over here.

As has already been said, do you really need a 12 for walked up? If you decide that you really do and it's an itch that must be scratched,. The Chapuis is a gun designed for that purpose. I shoot pigeon from a hide so I don't need a canon and my C35 at 6 lb 9 oz is ideal and as light as many 20s if you are walking. The little or no cost options when buying new mean that you can get a gun that fits from the off.

I've gone the other way this year, retired my 12 and got a 20,. The 12 is still in the cabinet but it wont be coming out of it any time soon. I had the 20 fitted to me, spent some time shooting a few differents brand of cartridge through it over the summer to find something it and I like. 26gm RC JK6 or Sipe in no7 works really well through 1/4 and 1/2 choke.  So far i've used it on 3 driven days and shot aorund the 3 to 1 mark.  I couldn't be happier at this point.

There is nothing wrong with a twenty bore for walked up days it the people that’s wrong just because it’s not a twelve bore you can’t hit anything I have some lads like that on a syndicate I shot in but none of them like to be back gun to me.

Stick with your twenty I use Lincoln guns there action is small not like some of the twenty’s that are made on twelve bore action with twenty bore barrels put on.

10 hours ago, Devilcat said:

Hi,

My first post so apologies for any mistakes in forum etiquette. I would appreciate some advice please on choice of a 12 bore. I’m an inexperienced member of a syndicate on a walked up ( I think that’s the correct terminology?) pheasant shoot. I currently use a 20 bore Silver Pigeon with varying degrees of success. I’m constantly being told to get a 12 bore by the other members. Assuming I follow their advice, what should I consider? I intend to spend up to £3k. I have no bias towards any make or design features as I don’t yet know enough to know what difference these make. I’m embarrassed to admit that what the gun looks like is currently most important. With this in mind, I like the look of the Silver Pigeon V, Rizzini round body models and the Chapuis C35. I’ve asked the other syndicate members and have received as many suggestions as there are members. I would be grateful for any advice from the forum, I realise this is a question you must get asked all the time and if so, perhaps you could point me towards the appropriate thread.

Thank you

4 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I always liked the Browning, though the Ruger Red Label was the sexiest shotgun ever made. 

D5D3917D-9F30-432F-8011-148D316DC54A.jpeg

F71BC27A-C137-47BA-839B-0FDABB7FE399.jpeg

Not seen many guns then ?

Do the right thing . Buy a side by side . The best gun for game and stand up for a great tradition .

Don’t Baikal make Ruger shotguns?

as for the OP’s question there’s is nothing wrong with a 20 bore it’ll do just as well as a 12 for game shooting. I often use my 20 bore for game and pigeons and 30G Eley VIPs work just fine. As suggested I would get some lessons in before taking the plunge and ploughing 3 grand on a new gun. 

22 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Don’t Baikal make Ruger shotguns?

as for the OP’s question there’s is nothing wrong with a 20 bore it’ll do just as well as a 12 for game shooting. I often use my 20 bore for game and pigeons and 30G Eley VIPs work just fine. As suggested I would get some lessons in before taking the plunge and ploughing 3 grand on a new gun. 

No, baikal made the spartan line of Remington.  

15 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Not to mention that somewhere along the line it's lost a trigger.

Which is useful if you’re finger deficient or got gloves on 

either way it’s a comparison with the what I believe to be ugly ruger 

and similar in construction to the op present gun 

although it’s out of his price range 

here’s another although possibly a tag to gaudy 

011567C5-F563-4F84-9C76-F8F8CA3D0E3E.jpeg

Edited by Old farrier