Stoat found struggling in illegal trap on shooting estate

rbrowning2

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Why did you put this post up?

Fenn traps are perfectly legal and do valuable service getting rid of vermin like stoats and rats.

Your comment about the Landowner receiving a fine for a legal activity is ludicrous.

I posted for discussion I am no expert on traps and like the people reading it and tweeting on Twitter my ignorance means I took it at face value ie the traps were illegal.

Even when the fact that the traps if set correctly are currently not illegal was tweeted it did not change the anti shooting agenda on their or that Chris packham  as RSPB VP had a greed to a cull of stoats on  Orkney.

changing minds is a battle we are clearly losing.

11 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

I posted for discussion I am no expert on traps and like the people reading it and tweeting on Twitter my ignorance means I took it at face value ie the traps were illegal.

Even when the fact that the traps if set correctly are currently not illegal was tweeted it did not change the anti shooting agenda on their or that Chris packham  as RSPB VP had a greed to a cull of stoats on  Orkney.

Well if you have accounts on these social media platforms and are now armed with the facts why not put them right by posting, every little helps as the saying go’s.

25 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

These types of comments do shooting and pest control no favours. Remember this is a public forum

The bloke in question has been dead for quite some time; he was a good friend of my fathers and like I said, undoubtedly couldn’t care less what was illegal then anymore than he would if he were still alive.

I couldn’t care less what ‘visitors’ think of comments on this forum. It is a shooters forum, where the vast majority of us are involved with killing stuff for leisure/entertainment/recreation, and that includes those who carry out pest control despite not being paid for it. If you find this not to your liking perhaps you’re on the wrong forum. 

17 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well if you have accounts on these social media platforms and are now armed with the facts why not put them right by posting, every little helps as the saying go’s.

Have done so, but don’t think any words I write on Twitter or mark avery’s blog makes any difference they have closed minds are totally focused on their own anti shooting agenda, as BASC found out when they took on Liverpool council.

Wish it was that simple to get a balanced view on the issues facing shooting.

Edited by rbrowning2

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

The bloke in question has been dead for quite some time; he was a good friend of my fathers and like I said, undoubtedly couldn’t care less what was illegal then anymore than he would if he were still alive.

I couldn’t care less what ‘visitors’ think of comments on this forum. It is a shooters forum, where the vast majority of us are involved with killing stuff for leisure/entertainment/recreation, and that includes those who carry out pest control despite not being paid for it. If you find this not to your liking perhaps you’re on the wrong forum. 

Yes the vast majority of us are involved in the killing of species for whatever reason. But the legal killing. 

And the vast majority would not have the stupidity to highlight illegal acts of animal cruelty. What's your next post going to be? Picture of a dead badger of buzzard that's been shot? But as long as the perpetrator is dead that's ok. ***. 

My point is that as shooters we have to be seen to be policing ourselves. If we don't, we can't complain when restrictions are imposed on us. 

35 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

Pretty sure they will be using live catch traps on Orkney.. but it is a good example of the hypocrisy of the packams et al. they condone the destruction of stoats if they are threatening the ground nesting birds that live there but are up in arms when a stoat is killed by a keeper. Live catch traps must be checked every 24hrs minimum. how much stress will the Orkney stoats suffer. being trapped for that length of time.. Reading some of tweets that go with the link. the save the animals freaks would appose the removal of the stoats from Orkney and then seal the fate of the rare birds that live there.. I despair for the wildlife of Britain when these +++++'s  take over.

how do you not catch a stoat i use 10 fen traps 2 mark 6 and 8 mark4 around the farm barns ive caught around 120 rats 3 weasels 7 rabbits and1 stoat this year i use mesh  covered in turf to form my tunnels how can i stop that one animal turning me into a criminal i would rather not catch it anyway as its probably sorting out a fair few rats ive done this around 4 years and caught 3 stoats in total

12 minutes ago, charlie b said:

how do you not catch a stoat i use 10 fen traps 2 mark 6 and 8 mark4 around the farm barns ive caught around 120 rats 3 weasels 7 rabbits and1 stoat this year i use mesh  covered in turf to form my tunnels how can i stop that one animal turning me into a criminal i would rather not catch it anyway as its probably sorting out a fair few rats ive done this around 4 years and caught 3 stoats in total

Hence why Fenn Traps will become obsolete, except for pest control purposes in attics.

13 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Yes the vast majority of us are involved in the killing of species for whatever reason. But the legal killing. 

And the vast majority would not have the stupidity to highlight illegal acts of animal cruelty. What's your next post going to be? Picture of a dead badger of buzzard that's been shot? But as long as the perpetrator is dead that's ok. ***. 

My point is that as shooters we have to be seen to be policing ourselves. If we don't, we can't complain when restrictions are imposed on us. 

Haven’t shot any buzzards but I can put up a few of legally shot badgers. Not sure the antis are gonna say ‘ that’s ok then’ though. 
Nothing we ever do, legally or otherwise, is ever going to placate the antis, because we kill things for entertainment, so I really couldn’t care less what they think. 
I often use Fenns to catch rats; the antis don’t appear to complain about that for some reason. 
One could be forgiven for thinking they had ulterior motives eh? 

9 hours ago, lancer425 said:

This.

The comment re the landowner receiving a fine was put up before I found out via the replies that the traps are still legal, interesting to that no such comments appeared on twitter until I posted on hear so just may be PW put the record straight.

i and I hope others now have a better understanding of using traps, thanks perazzishot, given until now I had only ever used a mouse trap, which surly is reason enough to post about it.

however looking to the future as has been said, if we do not keep are own house in order, be that, traps, raptors, lead shot....then a lot would sooner we had no house.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

The comment re the landowner receiving a fine was put up before I found out via the replies that the traps are still legal, interesting to that no such comments appeared on twitter until I posted on hear so just may be PW put the record straight.

i and I hope others now have a better understanding of using traps, thanks perazzishot, given until now I had only ever used a mouse trap, which surly is reason enough to post about it.

however looking to the future as has been said, if we do not keep are own house in order, be that, traps, raptors, lead shot....then a lot would sooner we had no house.

Unfortunately no matter what we do will please the ban this and that brigade, there is a growing movement that think killing anything by whatever means is wrong and they want shooting stopped, they have a powerful tool to push their agenda that is ‘social media’ now it does not matter to them if they post half truths or total lies so long as it has the desired effect, I have heard people comment on here and other forums that it is not worth putting their side across because they just get called names and you will not change the antis view point, this maybe true but it is not just antis reading social media post but also the wider public, if we allow them free range on social media without a challenge then we are on the road to failure.

Take the recent BASC dinner at the Derby museum, it was hit hard by antis using social media followed by demonstrators outside the museum on the night of the event, now fair play to the museum for honouring their commitment to the booking but I doubt they will let another such event take place at the venue..https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/activists-protest-against-meal-featuring-3541510

Edited by old'un

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Haven’t shot any buzzards but I can put up a few of legally shot badgers. Not sure the antis are gonna say ‘ that’s ok then’ though. 
Nothing we ever do, legally or otherwise, is ever going to placate the antis, because we kill things for entertainment, so I really couldn’t care less what they think. 
I often use Fenns to catch rats; the antis don’t appear to complain about that for some reason. 
One could be forgiven for thinking they had ulterior motives eh? 

I'm not going to get into an argument, as I've not got time.

If you want to highlight experiences of cruel and illegal practices, carry on. 

I appreciate that it might go on but to fondly tell ancedotes about it does no favours to any one who cares about what this forum is about.

Just to clarify, it's illegal to drown anything, including cats, in a live catch trap. There have been successful prosecutions for this. I appreciate that you know this but for the benefit of anyone else who is unsure 

6 minutes ago, stuartyboy said:

I'm not going to get into an argument, as I've not got time.

If you want to highlight experiences of cruel and illegal practices, carry on. 

I appreciate that it might go on but to fondly tell ancedotes about it does no favours to any one who cares about what this forum is about.

Just to clarify, it's illegal to drown anything, including cats, in a live catch trap. There have been successful prosecutions for this. I appreciate that you know this but for the benefit of anyone else who is unsure 

And also for the benefit of those who seem unaware, despite it not currently being illegal to use Fenn traps as the thread title would suggest, it has not, does not nor will not stop those who oppose what we do, from opposing what w do. The fact it is perfectly legal to shoot game being a perfect example, if indeed one were needed. 
With that in mind I couldn’t care less what they think. 

No one else thinking this could be faked/set up  then? Clearly a stoat in a trap but don't look right to me!To exposed and that stone would of been off the top there  if it had been struggling in there any time in that location. Very well filmed/edited to! Where is the rest of the evidence or that it is even on a moor? Interesting that there is fresh feathers from what looks like a small bird in the clip? Once again! Strange it's always them or peps connected to them who find and present these things when it suits them and there agenda with limited other evidence!  We have been due for something else to pop up from them to keep public interest and there supporters/funders on board.          NB

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, aberisle said:

I dont do twitter but someone who does should put this link on the Mark Avery page, about these terrible people who set illegal traps they should ALL be punished.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/highlands/1759112/orkney-stoat-cull-row-erupts-over-trap-setting/

It’s dead easy to open an account on twitter, you could then inform Avery yourself. 👍
There is no obligation to ‘do Twitter’ just because you have an account.