Game sausage

Centrepin

Any recipes?

Currently have a chest freezer far too full of mainly Phesant and some Partridge. All lead shot.

We have a mince machine and a sausage machine, just need to buy some skins.

The Mrs says mix with Pork fat but I'm not sure what ratio to use or what else to add.

I like a meaty sausage🤣 ..........did I really just put that?

Any help gratefully received.

My last batch of sausages were Venison, Cranberry and juniper with red wine

in a 5k mix i put in 1.25 kg belly pork 350g red wine, 350g-400g  dried cranberry's 500g venison & juniper mix (  https://www.scobiesdirect.com/Recipes/RecipeSearch/Recipe.asp?RecipeNo=1069 )

Reviews from a certain restaurant have been brilliant and i intend to enter a competition in the coming months just to see how they compare with the pro's.

9 minutes ago, Dougy said:

My last batch of sausages were Venison, Cranberry and juniper with red wine

in a 5k mix i put in 1.25 kg belly pork 350g red wine, 350g-400g  dried cranberry's 500g venison & juniper mix (  https://www.scobiesdirect.com/Recipes/RecipeSearch/Recipe.asp?RecipeNo=1069 )

Reviews from a certain restaurant have been brilliant and i intend to enter a competition in the coming months just to see how they compare with the pro's.

👍just showed the boss, she says I should try some. Thanks 

3 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Any recipes?

Currently have a chest freezer far too full of mainly Phesant and some Partridge. All lead shot.

We have a mince machine and a sausage machine, just need to buy some skins.

The Mrs says mix with Pork fat but I'm not sure what ratio to use or what else to add.

I like a meaty sausage🤣 ..........did I really just put that?

Any help gratefully received.

Yep works a treat. Some belly pork strips from Aldi and I use about 25% pork to game meat....everything goes in the mix from venison off cuts through to pigeon breasts. Course grind and sprinkle seasoning on the meat and I marinade it as well prior to grinding. Mix well and push it in the skins. Big fat skins are best in my view.  Have a look on the Web. I have mentioned it before on here and I know one or two members have acquired some.  Tony Chacheres's Cajun Mix goes well with everything but game meats especially.

It's great fun experimenting so don't be stuck by one persons idea. I have never wasted anyhting to date and done some seriously wierd mixtures ....apricots in game pie for instance, so yes try some apple in your sausage mix.

I’ve just had 3 pigs go to the abbatoir and had a couple kilos spare fat left over. I offered it out to anyone local on a  Facebook group who might be making game sausages. Hope you aren’t in south west wales otherwise you just missed out! 

I used to work on a deli and when opening cooked hams on the bone we used to have to cut off the bulk of the fat and bin it! I used to take it home and make my own game sausages. Ask your local butcher if they can get you ‘real’ sausage skins, a bit better than synthetic imo

You can even chop up some black pudding. I find doing that separately works better than putting it through the grinder...bits about 3/16 or so are perfect, just stir them in once the mix is ready.  Don't forget to knot the skin before pumping the mix through or it gets very messy ...... only did it once:lol:

Edited by Walker570

Just got a Kenwood off eBay with a mincer, bought the sausage nozzles and some casings. Had a go this afternoon, blew the motor on the Kenwood😏, should be on speed 4, not 1 apparently🙄.( too much torque I guess)

Anyway borrowed another, had a hell of a time putting mince mix through a second time to fill the casings. Any tips people, do I just buy a dedicated sausage machine, or one of those syringe stuffers?

I wanted to make low salt, low fat, coarse meat sausages, ended up with puréed ones.

The flavour mixes weren’t bad though, so it’s a start.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a multi mincer, grinder, sausage maker and have had no problems. I like the meat fairly coarse and this machine has a blade which just chops it nicely and I springle the flavouring on before I mince and that way it gets ground into the meat.  The sausage tube just clips on the front and as long as the skins have been in a soak for a few minutes they walk fine. Big problem is getting the time to do it.  I use a 50/50 mix of game meat and belly pork which seems to work ok with some rusk and I use the plain variety and add my own flavourings.

• 7 months later...
On 11/08/2020 at 20:12, Lloyd90 said:

Do you use the same amount of belly pork for burgers? I have a few kg of venison that I shot yday and going to have a go with my mates mince later on. 

Yep. Exactly the same for me. Works a treat. You need some fat in sausages and burgers. Without the belly it would be drier than dry thing on a hit day. 

I don't add any fat at all to venison burgers, just venison, salt and pepper. They aren't dry at all. 

Venison sausages 2/3rd venison 1/3rd belly pork or fatty pork trim. 

I use oatmeal as rusk and stock for the liquid content. Chicken turkey pheasant rabbit stock anything like that. 

You can add skimmed milk powder to your mixture which definitely makes a more moist sausage.