20 bore cartridges?

So I’m sure this crops up occasionally but interested to hear what folk are using?

Years ago I used to use express 28 g 6’s and thought they were really good. The last bunch of shells I bought were some gamebore pure gold of a similar weight and didn’t have any problems.

Recently been using some hull shells,(going spare off a friend) and really not impressed with them. They seem quite slow as well?

Anyway I’ve decided to put the Hull shells to clay use and order something else in. What cartridges are people having success with? 

Cheers!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers!

Out of interest, I’ve always used 28g. I’ve no interest in going heavier. But, is there much benefit in dropping to a 26g shell? I’ve never really found recoil an issue and tend to find a 28g 6 a good compromise,(I quite like a size 5 in 12g but aware of dropping the pellet count)? Any thoughts on cartridge weight would be appreciated!

I am not in any way recoil sensitive but over nearly 60 years of shotgunning I have found the 96-1 guideline to be spot on. Any load exceeding this becomes ‘uncomfortable’ to fire repeatedly. This is my own experience. I was once given some 65mm 28 gram 20 bore cartridges. My 5 1/2 lb side lock jumped out of my shoulder with them. English 20 bore game guns were designed to fire 13/16 oz loads (23 gram).

On 21/11/2019 at 16:33, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers!

Out of interest, I’ve always used 28g. I’ve no interest in going heavier. But, is there much benefit in dropping to a 26g shell? I’ve never really found recoil an issue and tend to find a 28g 6 a good compromise,(I quite like a size 5 in 12g but aware of dropping the pellet count)? Any thoughts on cartridge weight would be appreciated!

On 21/11/2019 at 17:26, wildfowler.250 said:

Ah fair enough! It’s a silver pigeon I tend to use so maybe a bit more forgiving than on the shoulder

I use a 30inch barrelled beretta 690. I started off using 28gm sipes and found them quite thumpy. I then went down to 26gm sipes which feel a lot more friendly on the shoulder for no discernible difference at the receiving end. 

Used 28g 5's in my 20 bore all last season. Express Supreme, Hull H.P.E and Proper.

All equally  very good.

Strangely the felt recoil is less than using 28g in my 12 bore although they are similar weight and fit.

Must be some reason for this but I haven't worked it out yet?

Perhaps the 12g cartridges are a tad faster?

12 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Don't see the point in buying a light gun and putting 28g through it. When I had my 20 bore I used 24g RC and dropped every pheasant and partridge that came my way. Remember, Its the nut behind the butt!

What Billy said all day.

I just don’t understand why folk buy a 20 bore and persist in using 12 bore loads through it. Or perhaps they don’t understand that they are actually using a 12 bore load?