20 bore cartridges?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, grahamch said:

Used Hull High Pheasant 7/8oz no7 for years out of a light Scottish 2.3 inch sxs to great effect, sadly cant seem to find this load anywhere now?

The nearest Hull Cartridge make these days is pro-one 7.5 24gm. They stopped making HP in no7 about 18 months ago. The 26gm RC sipe fibre in italian 7 (uk 6.5) is very good.

On 21 November 2019 at 17:19, London Best said:

I am not in any way recoil sensitive but over nearly 60 years of shotgunning I have found the 96-1 guideline to be spot on. Any load exceeding this becomes ‘uncomfortable’ to fire repeatedly. This is my own experience. I was once given some 65mm 28 gram 20 bore cartridges. My 5 1/2 lb side lock jumped out of my shoulder with them. English 20 bore game guns were designed to fire 13/16 oz loads (23 gram).

No doubt you are referring to 20g SxSs as being under 6lbs whereas most 20g O/Us are 6lbs or over. As previously stated by owners of 20g Beretta O/Us etc. 28g loads are comfortable to use, so why carry a heavier gun round all day when a lighter one will suffice and is your preference.

I find that I can use 28g RC Sipes fibre wad 6s in my 20g Macnab Highlander which weighs just 6lbs comfortably all day and if I've done my sums correctly conforms precisely to the 96/1 ratio ruling. They pattern very well through the fixed 1/4 & 1/2 chokes and perform well. I've never experienced recoil issues with Sipes but think that confidence in a gun/cartridge combination also helps, even if only psychologically.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

No doubt you are referring to 20g SxSs as being under 6lbs whereas most 20g O/Us are 6lbs or over. As previously stated by owners of 20g Beretta O/Us etc. 28g loads are comfortable to use, so why carry a heavier gun round all day when a lighter one will suffice and is your preference.

I find that I can use 28g RC Sipes fibre wad 6s in my 20g Macnab Highlander which weighs just 6lbs comfortably all day and if I've done my sums correctly conforms precisely to the 96/1 ratio ruling. They pattern very well through the fixed 1/4 & 1/2 chokes and perform well. I've never experienced recoil issues with Sipes but think that confidence in a gun/cartridge combination also helps, even if only psychologically.

OB

Trouble is as always you can't generalise with shotguns as my Beretta weighs 5lb 9oz.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

A lighter gun is very much my preference. My 12 bore game gun weighs 6lb 2oz and is never used with more than 28 gram. McNab Highlander nice gun (if you like o/u), I have two friends who have the 28 bore, both weigh 5lb 14oz and are just about suitable for 28 gram. Neither friend uses 28 gram in them, both saying if they want to shoot a twelve bore load they will use a twelve bore. I couldn’t agree more.

• 2 weeks later...

I see little point shooting 28 grams through a 20 bore,  I have done in the past, but it was unnecessary. If I want to shoot 28 grams, I'd use a 12.

I cant remember what make of cartridges I was using, but 24grams of 6s was more than enough through my 20.

Edited by Big Mat

• 1 year later...
On 24/12/2019 at 09:33, London Best said:

I like the 7’s myself, but if I can’t get ‘em, surprise surprise, 6’s seem to work just fine.

Just seen this and appreciate that we're over a year out of date. This won't make a huge difference, but on the grounds that every little helps, my current batch of the cartridge in question - the Lyalvale Supreme - at 25g of 7s weigh in at 371/oz - helpful for a open choke shooter.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Just seen this and appreciate that we're over a year out of date. This won't make a huge difference, but on the grounds that every little helps, my current batch of the cartridge in question - the Lyalvale Supreme - at 25g of 7s weigh in at 471/oz - helpful for a open choke shooter.

That means the shot must be much smaller than standard English 7’s at 340/oz. Nearer to standard 8 shot.

My late father had one of the G E Lewis so called "light magnum" 20 bores. Side by side boxlock ejector, twenty-six inch barrels, weight about 5lbs 14ozs (from memory) and proofed for 2 3/4" loads which back then were Eley Alphamax with one ounce shot charge. But, yes, mostly he used the then standard Eley "20 Bore" branded cartridge firing 13/16 ounce of shot. Back then too paper case 20 bore cartridges were "pink" or as some would better call it "buff" not yellow. 

20Bore.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares