Government fuel payment

London Best

Should be binned as soon as possible. To placate the grey vote at the age of 70 a parcel should arrive from. HM Gov containing a fleece, a sweater, a scarf and a woolly hat.  To be marked up as government property to stop them popping them on ebay straight away.  Can apply for new issue of same every five years.  Much cheaper than throwing cash at the wrinklies, most of whom just put it down towards a deposit on there next six week holiday in the sun.  Winter fuel allowance...bonkers,.

Edited by scolopax

16 hours ago, London Best said:

Nice letter from the DWP this morning, informing me that my annual Winter Cartridge Allowance will be paid into my bank account. Cheers Boris!

Reminds me of Adrian Mole (the first book, the good one):

"I asked my mother what she spent our Child Support on, she said gin and cigarettes."

21 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Much cheaper than throwing cash at the wrinklies, most of whom just put it down towards a deposit on there next six week holiday in the sun.

My old man looks forward to it and heads off to his local log-ery.  Much to the consternation of my mother who would rather offset it against the heating oil bill.  His driving licence being revoked means she might get her way this year...

7 hours ago, scolopax said:

Should be binned as soon as possible. To placate the grey vote at the age of 70 a parcel should arrive from. HM Gov containing a fleece, a sweater, a scarf and a woolly hat.  To be marked up as government property to stop them popping them on ebay straight away.  Can apply for new issue of same every five years.  Much cheaper than throwing cash at the wrinklies, most of whom just put it down towards a deposit on there next six week holiday in the sun.  Winter fuel allowance...bonkers,.

What a cant remark, there are many poor pensioners out there. I did 2.5 years in the US system and get paid $276 a month from there. Compare that to to the shameful amount the UK pretend government gives out to the elderly.

7 hours ago, scolopax said:

...most of whom just put it down towards a deposit on there next six week holiday in the sun.  Winter fuel allowance...bonkers,.

Hell yeah, you don't live in Stornoway do you? There is a difference between Cornwall and Aberdeen and it is not just the accent.

57 minutes ago, henry d said:

Hell yeah, you don't live in Stornoway do you? There is a difference between Cornwall and Aberdeen and it is not just the accent.

Actually Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the British Isles. The winter fuel allowance was introduced in about 1997 by Gordon Brown. Even the most avid Labour supporters realised it was just a bribe, a Christmas bonus. 

hello,

8 hours ago, scolopax said:

hello, WHAT UTTER RUBBISH!!!!  3 million on the basic pension depend on keeping warm every winter

55 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Actually Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the British Isles. The winter fuel allowance was introduced in about 1997 by Gordon Brown. Even the most avid Labour supporters realised it was just a bribe, a Christmas bonus. 

Yeah I was there for 12 years, but it is not the coldest is it?

19 hours ago, scolopax said:

Be careful what you wish for boy.

I was like you years ago. Now I'm one of your "wrinklies" and get the cartridge heating allowance, and glad no one listened to me back in the day. Now, I think it should be doubled to keep in line with carts and airfares. 🙂

In previous years I put it in  my hobby pot then the next year I gave it to my wife for her hobby pot and last year we spent it on something for the house.

This year I'm so poor I've had to postpone the purchase of a new RC aeroplane and will have to spend it on heating instead😭 It's not fair!!!!!!

23 hours ago, scolopax said:

Hmmm. Winter fuel payments cost the taxpayer a little over £2 billion. It varies slightly if there are extended cold weather periods. Now consider that Golden Brown's flagship vote winner, aka Child Tax Credits, costs the taxpayer well in excess of £30 billion despite his original claim that it would cost less than £2 billion. This one benefit alone costs almost as much as the UK's entire defence budget!

No one can abuse the WFP payment as it's not means tested, but the tax credits system is not only massively abused by families "tuning" their working hours (with the connivance of their employers) to maximise their payments, but in the cases of many, including everyone we know who receives it, it's simply bunce that funds things like the 2 late model cars in the drive and the 2 foreign holidays each year.

All of the hugely expensive stunt benefits that Brown created are abused by virtually everyone who receives them. As such, benefits are no longer a support mechanism for those in need of help but an optional lifestyle choice for the ever increasing numbers of wasters and layabouts.

Pensioners don't have those choices, we have to plan and organise our own financial security if we want more than very basic living. For us the WFP is very welcome - and BTW we already have fleeces, sweaters, scarves and woolly hats.

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

It is supposed to help with the winter heating, maybe we don’t pay it with that specific £100....but we pensioners certainly have to pay fuel bills out of our total fixed income!

That may be the least of our concerns? 

Oldies are already planned for removal by some. 😄

On 21/11/2019 at 11:32, scolopax said:

Wrong...it goes to my next driven day ......  squirm!:yay: