Lucky to have so much on my doorstep

henry d

I haven`t had many walks recently since the dog passed but decided to go this morning as its my day off the ice has melted and its going to be bad weather for kayak fishing in the North sea. Apologies for some shaky shots, I should have taken the tripod!

I walked down to the croy and on the way saw a few scats from a fox and as I crested the top of the croy a grey heron flew off, but fortunately the kingfisher didn`t. They are getting quite numerous on the river now even if the salmon are declining. We also get a lot of otters and all the fish eating duck and cormorants too so there seems to be plenty of different sized fish in the river, just a shame that salmon are declining so much.

IMG_1073r.jpg.1dc329dfe0b3f78300f4408459b878a9.jpg

The greylags were just lifting off as I headed upstream and I could hear a raven and some wigeon. The greylags pictures were all blurry as they were 400m away and I used too much zoom and the raven stayed well away too, but the wigeon were having a great time in the shallows preening and having a few squabbles.

IMG_1078r.jpg.bb27044c45bf4bb0670b18133097b0b5.jpg

The beavers have been busy recently and a lot of this years growth has been cut back and either eaten or stored. They have several stores along the river and you can see evidence of them all the way into Perth and beyond the harbour. I think this is a lodge rather than a store as its well used, I`ve seen young nearby and there is a path directly opposite.

IMG_1081r.jpg.586b956f0da23fcd7a189278b3533c71.jpg

The path along the river runs at right angles to this and you can probably make it out.

IMG_1082r.jpg.cea4be21ca0648eb9b578754448d28a0.jpg

Thankfully these were far enough away from the path so they weren`t a hazard to everyone who walks there, but I`m sure someone will get injured by their gnawing or burrowing habits.

IMG_1083r.jpg.f81e12cf76e1a628d80eb68d3fc0e0eb.jpg

It`s fantastic to have this a short walk away from my house and when we move I am going to miss it all, but for now I`m just going to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Some how they escaped, or more likely SNH turned a blind eye...

I find it hard to believe that SNH would turn a blind eye, when i suggested that red squirrels could be released into Stornoway woods [dont forget an island]  as it would ensure that they were unmolested by greys, the manager of SNH was horrified ! .