Semi Auto

Darrenp

9 minutes ago, Darrenp said:

Good evening all !

I am currently using a Browning B80 semi auto when I am walking around a farm and I find it a bit clumsy to carry !

do you good people think I would be better with a sxs for rough shooting

cheers 

darren

Yes, contact Wabbitbosher, he will have something cheap and suitable!:good:

I have handled many autos and they are not reall condusive to walking round for a bit of rough shooting. Sitting in a hide they are fine and also...pause for moans....for standing at a peg.

Yes you would be much better off with a side by side or a lightweight over and under.  I use a 410 almost exclusively these days but would certainly look at a 20 or 28 gauge....wait for cry of pain re cost of ammo .... how many are you going to shoot on a rough walk round ?   A nice old BSA 12 gauge on offer here in the last few days for a song would do all you need and more.

Certainly the Bosher will have a selection as well.   Don't dispense with the suto , it will be perfect for days over decoys, flighting etc.

Forgot to also mention, break open shotguns are much safer ... wait for moans.... I mean it is much easier to a)walk with them open but ready, b) empty the shells when crossing ditch ., empty shells and show your friend it is empty when crossing a gate or fence.

Edited by Walker570

I use a B80 steel actioned one, its not light but its slick to use operate and soft on felt recoil.  The B80 is a well balanced gun as well. ( think if your feeling its a bit heavy i would reiterate what has already been said try a sling.

Sxs shotguns are a breeze to operate and swap ammo over if required and usualy light and easily carried but i think the B80 is too sweet a handler to miss out on using it for rough shooting, i would not want to be without mine.

I mainly use a Beretta Outlander which is slung, I don't find it to clumsy when out and about, only thing is as said finding the empty's in the long grass but the extra shot does come in handy sometimes.

Also use a MIroku ORE (OU), its got nice short barrels and is light, fits me pretty well. One benefit as also said is changing ammo is easy. I find when walking over open space when not a lot about it would be handy to put over my should if it was slung, so I do miss the sling.

You could go into a RFD and see if they have a gun that you could try out for the day so you get something that fits decently? Also would be able to see if you feel the OU is as clumsy?

Mick

We all know we can never have enough guns or options available. but to just buy a SxS or O/U , when you have a perfectly good B80 sat there just seems a bit pointless, and is just another gun to adjust to with no real advantage apart from a slightly more easier handling when walking.

Playing devils advocate here, and unsure of exactly what other shooting you do or are planning on doing.

Depending on the latter, what about rather than just buying a typical 23/4 inch SxS or u/u why not buy a SXS or O/u 3 inch magnum.

At least you are that way getting something you curently do not have acces to (guessing your B80 is not a 3 inch that is) .

A Sxs 3 inch magnum is quite light probably a lb or two lighter than a similar o/u , less gape for loading probably a little quicker for loading, and guessing none ejector unloading too.

No big deal perhaps but just thought a magnum double could come in broaden your options a bit for foxing or any wildfowling you might want to do.

2 3/4 is fine but 3 inch is there if you ever need it thats all.