Gap between stock and action

keeper96

This would not be for me I am afraid. There should be no discernable gap between the wood and metal. That gap is large enough to allow water in on a very wet day and raises questions about recoil being transfered to the stock which could subsequently lead to a crack starting. As guzzicat said, you could find better.

It could be put right but what’s the point in buying it and then having spend more money on it to it put right, you do not know why or how long its been like that, water could have got into the action, it could be hiding all sorts of horrors, leave well alone, there’s plenty of good SxS out there.  

Walk away, forget you ever saw it.  I'm even wondering if it is the original stock or one which happened to just about fit. Certainly that gap should not be there no matter how old the gun

The picture shows two old guns, the sixteen gauge at the top is a tad over a 100yrs, the BSA below is 70yrs. That is how tight that gap should be and the BSA in particular has had a very hectic life.

002.jpg

16 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Look at BSA they are supper plain jane but unloved apart from by those who use them. For the money they are a good buy, you might get one of the bit fancier bsas for your £250

BSA were on of the first (if not the first in the UK) to use interchangeable parts.  As has been said, plain, but properly made and tough.

As it's caught your eye, I'd at least have a look at it. It's already been pinned so if it's tight and the only problem is the gap then I know a 'smith who could sort that with one arm behind his back and his eyes closed. It does appear to be a nice looking gun and the word as ever is haggle. And if you don't like you can still walk away but at least you'll know that you made the right decision.

15 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Look at BSA they are supper plain jane but unloved apart from by those who use them. For the money they are a good buy, you might get one of the bit fancier bsas for your £250

Plain jane indeed but will still do the job in spades if you can. The BSA shown in my photograph is probably older than 70yrs but that is as long as I remember my grandafther using it.

I had the original stock shown 'bent' by a pro stock fitter to fit me and these days I try and take it for a walk or a day out once or twice a year if the weather is dry and it still does the job.

It did have the barrels sleaved in around the late 50s due to the originals being damaged by some ex war dept stuff if I remember which put grooves up the barrel. Those new barrels are still like new...the bluing is thinning due to handling and hopefully it will see light of day next week if the weather stays fair.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That has to be a bargain and knowing mine, it will probably last your lifetime if looked after.

Its a good buy at that if its wood and bores etc all ok.

28 inch i had two both were 30 inch and cylinder and threequater choke. at ic and 1/4 could it have been a hacksaw job do you think.

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Its a good buy at that if its wood and bores etc all ok.

28 inch i had two both were 30 inch and cylinder and threequater choke. at ic and 1/4 could it have been a hacksaw job do you think.

No mine has 28 inch and where directly replaced same length when sleeved,    28 inch barrels where starting to appear back then as powders improved I believe. Looking forward to taking mine out for a couple of drives next Thursday which shows to be the only dry day next week.

I am pretty certain the Bosher has some similar nice offers and you can rest assured they will be sound.

Edited by Walker570