Spatchcock

islandgun

58 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Saw this on masterchef  the other night,  looked like a good way to do small game birds, they did it in twenty minutes,  im going to try it on a woodcock or teal but reckon it would suit partridge or pigeon.. anyone do it and have you any advice

Your not going to shoot the only two pigeons on Harris I hope? :lol:

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

Your not going to shoot the only two pigeons on Harris I hope?

I wouldn't dream of it 🙄, actually I think they have headed off to the west midlands for some Christmas pud from your bird table.

40 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Done it with partridge and golden plover.

I'd leave Woodcock to roast normally though.

I will try a golden Plover this year . given i can persuade one to slow down long enough !

Edited by islandgun

We have enough bloody pigeons eating all the bird food without looking after your two. ;)

Talking of woodcock, have you ever cooked them as they should be cooked, innards still in and on toast or fried bread, when an old keeper told me this years ago I thought he was winding me up.  

26 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

google" Beer can chicken" another great and easy way.

Looks good ! I usually roast a chicken on a grill in the roasting tray and have water underneath

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

We have enough bloody pigeons eating all the bird food without looking after your two. ;)

Talking of woodcock, have you ever cooked them as they should be cooked, innards still in and on toast or fried bread, when an old keeper told me this years ago I thought he was winding me up.  

No not yet, Ive only had three and cooked them following smokersmiths suggestions, very nice as well !

Edited by islandgun