Aftermarket chokes (again)

wildfowler.250

Noticed a similar thread below but a slightly different tangent for this one. I use a half choke through an xtrema 2 and most of the time I’m doing a mixture of duck and goose shooting on the same flight. Have people noticed a significant improvement with aftermarket chokes in? My reservation is I could tighten the choke up then go out and just see teal and miss or mince them? 

Any experience/thoughts is greatly appreciated!

59 minutes ago, figgy said:

What if you get two ducks come in or two geese.

Do as I've always done " wack em with what ever choke or cartridges are in the gun at the time " 

Admittedly if after Duck I'd probably have steel 4's or 3's Geese 2's or B's but my choke/Chokes stay the same.

Just my personal opinion to much over thinking can result in erratic shooting/results. 

50 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Do as I've always done " wack em with what ever choke or cartridges are in the gun at the time " 

Admittedly if after Duck I'd probably have steel 4's or 3's Geese 2's or B's but my choke/Chokes stay the same.

Just my personal opinion to much over thinking can result in erratic shooting/results. 

I agree that's what we do when it's all we have, shoot what's in the gun. I've dropped teal with 36g No1 steel carts and geese with 32g 4. 

Not knowing what your gun is doing exactly as it is right now,  its hard to give specific advice on that gun and if an after market choke will improve things for you or not. 

I tend to like after market chokes and have them of one kind or another in most guns i have that are multi choke.

the factory chokes are still chokes and some work well with some loads. And as your wanting an all rounder a less than extra full choke might suffice.

Some choke profiles work better than others the terror chokes are not popular for no good reason, and i do like them they can with the right loads prove fantastic .

Availability means Terrors are not always that easy to come by over here.

But briley which generally can be found ok do again work well.

In 12 bore i like the IM marked chokes in extended none ported these should measure .705 in the 12 bores. I have two of these .705s i use in two different guns.

In both guns one ou other auto all three barrels are very similar with these two chokes which is handy and by no means  not always the case. But for a one hit wonder choke choice in any 12 bore, i can not help but think this briley .705  would be a good try with a reasonable chance of seeing a worthwhile improvement at the longer ranges with BBs and yet not prove too much of a hindrance in the duck decoying situations.

My .705s are in Invector + barrels but your Optima plus should prove similar bore size and perhaps be a good performer give you some improvement if you think you need any. 

5 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Noticed a similar thread below but a slightly different tangent for this one. I use a half choke through an xtrema 2 and most of the time I’m doing a mixture of duck and goose shooting on the same flight. Have people noticed a significant improvement with aftermarket chokes in? My reservation is I could tighten the choke up then go out and just see teal and miss or mince them? 

Any experience/thoughts is greatly appreciated!

Most modern multichokes work acceptably, the advantage of an aftermarket is often engineered to better tolerances and better profiles which can result in better patterns but modern 3rd generation chokes (Optima plus, etc) have also improved over the originsls with longer length, paralell sections and porting.

I put Brileys extended chokes in my ou (mobil fitting) and noticed an improvement (swapping eqivilent size for size) in that the patterns had similar pellet counts but the pattern density was more uniform across the 30 inch circle.

Also remember, different cartridges with different size of shot and loads react differently with chokes especially as they get tighter and patterning is essential.

I don't change chokes for my intended quarry. I use full/extra full if I am decoying pigeons or ducks. I will use the same for flighting geese.

This evening I shot a pair of pinks with this combination in my o/u. A little while later I shot a pair of mallard. All were killed with 35gm BBs.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys. It’s an xtrema 2 I’m using. Only noticed a slight difference since switching front 42g mammoth 1s to BBs. Maybe just a bit less pattern/hits further out? 

I’ve heard good things about the terror chokes. Why are they so hard to come by? Do you need to order via the states?

On 25/11/2019 at 21:13, flippermaj said:

Hal,

i use a kicks hi flyer extra full, it will fit your maxus if you still have it.  If you want to pattern it against your standard chokes you can borrow it when you are up at Xmas.

cheers

mark

Cheers Mark! Very kind! Still hanging onto the Maxus currently but might sell it. Still haven’t decided if I prefer the xtrema2 or not but could do with freeing up some space.

Hal,

You do realise that a 36grm load of No1 has a higher pellet count than the 42grm BB load you are using plus it's nicer to shoot!  Grahams have Gamebore 36grm no 1 and 3 in stock so you could use the No 1 to get a better pellet count.  The No 1 36grm has about 129 pellets where as you 42 grm BB has about 109.   Your original  fav load and mine of 42grm no 1 has 154 pellets (roughly!)  Figs come from here  http://shotshell.drundel.com/pelletcount.htm

Cheers

On 22/11/2019 at 17:47, figgy said:

If it's working for you and your shooting leave alone. I sometimes wonder if I should take two guns. One for ducks and one with tight choke and large shot for geese.

Wise words figgy. Never the less I am a great fan of after  chokes in semi autos.Though they can vary a lot in their effectiveness. For what its worth I had great success with an American Turkey choke and BBB shot at pinks, but be aware the room for error in your aim is small.  A Lot of people blame the choke for missing but usually is aim and skill of the shooter  who is the problem.