shooting etiquette

Tikkat3x

On 23/11/2019 at 20:31, Tikkat3x said:

Is it seen to be bad practice if you shoot crows on a field the day before someone wants to shoot pigeons or does it not matter?

No. 

To those that think otherwise what if the only day you could shoot was Saturday? 

Are you supposed to put your shooting on permanent hold in case someone is shooting Sunday? 

What if someone is shooting Monday? Should that stop the Sunday guy 😂

Many scenarios here in my view, coming from farming family and a shooter, I myself have to let our local pigeon man go before myself, as to to be blinkered, if crops are being damaged/hit hard I view it from farming prospective get them shot while they're there, what if the sunday shooter doesn't make it,birds don't turn up, weather is against him, the opportunity is lost.

The end of the day it's out  &out pest control. 

Just my view.

2 hours ago, Konnie said:

Many scenarios here in my view, coming from farming family and a shooter, I myself have to let our local pigeon man go before myself, as to to be blinkered, if crops are being damaged/hit hard I view it from farming prospective get them shot while they're there, what if the sunday shooter doesn't make it,birds don't turn up, weather is against him, the opportunity is lost.

The end of the day it's out  &out pest control. 

Just my view.

I think it is mainly down to the land owner or whoever give you permission , if they just want human bird scare's then they will let more or less anyone shoot there land when the vermin are causing a problem , if on the other hand he want someone reliable and who will come whenever the need be , he will need to be a more considerate and give them priority . maybe I am looking at it from my point of view where I can go any day of the week and I know it's not the same when you are working all week , the situation I am in now is after many years of hard work and giving what I hope to be a reliable service and I am sure , or I think this is the case that the land owners who's land I go on take this on board when asked by a stranger .

16 hours ago, lancer425 said:

I think as a community us shooters have been through a lot this past year.

The whole GL fiassco NE and Juniper appointment couple that with the little girl lost performance by NEs Marrion Sprain who incidentally deserves an Oscar her performance equalling meryl streep in out of africa.

Reason and common sense prevailed but it dragged on and i think many are still a little touchy about the GLs and the review has some anxious about the future of this aspect of their lives they genuinely care about.

Comment here and subsequent reactions to comments are not to be condoned perhaps but largely understood.

I am sure we will face many more challenges to our WAY OF LIFE before we finally fall victim to the inevitable, But all the more reason we should all try our level best to perhaps try and get behind BASC Our best option in these troubled times if we agree with every last thing they do or not, they certainly worked hard in the GL fiassco ans sure they will stand up for us in the future when they possibly can.

It will soon be another year lets hope the spring is less fraught with uncertainty than 2019 that is all i hope for.

I agree, I have and will continue to criticise (as well as praise) BASC where I feel they deserve it, but I also think all shooters should get behind it, as it’s the best chance we have of protecting the future of our sport!
For those who constantly criticise, I would ask them, what do they think BASC can do if legal advice, when sought, is that they (we) have no chance of winning in the courts, and the powers that be tell them to “do one” on any specific issue? Chuck money at what we are advised is a lost cause? Break the Law? What?..........

If you publicly admit you ain’t got a case and therefore can’t/won’t challenge a decision......why should your opponents worry? Bit like the UK Parliament taking the threat of a “no deal” Brexit off the table during negotiations with the EU!.....once that was done the EU knew they need not give the UK any concessions!

To the op if like me he books fields through nppc then it’s a matter of who books first shoots first I booked a rape field for Sunday  didn’t know if anyone was shooting the day before didn’t even know if it had any birds on it as I only just got the list I thought I would  go and when I got there there was no pigeon but lots of crow bordering the field on a railway sidings so I chuck my half shell pigeon decoys out upside down hoping to draw a few crow manage to get one to come  That is now no longer a pest to anyone 

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

I agree, I have and will continue to criticise (as well as praise) BASC where I feel they deserve it, but I also think all shooters should get behind it, as it’s the best chance we have of protecting the future of our sport!
For those who constantly criticise, I would ask them, what do they think BASC can do if legal advice, when sought, is that they (we) have no chance of winning in the courts, and the powers that be tell them to “do one” on any specific issue? Chuck money at what we are advised is a lost cause? Break the Law? What?..........

Perhaps if that is the case then they could at least comunicate that to their members!

8 hours ago, marsh man said:

I think it is mainly down to the land owner or whoever give you permission , if they just want human bird scare's then they will let more or less anyone shoot there land when the vermin are causing a problem , if on the other hand he want someone reliable and who will come whenever the need be , he will need to be a more considerate and give them priority . maybe I am looking at it from my point of view where I can go any day of the week and I know it's not the same when you are working all week , the situation I am in now is after many years of hard work and giving what I hope to be a reliable service and I am sure , or I think this is the case that the land owners who's land I go on take this on board when asked by a stranger .

As you say I take care of all the shooting on the farm but my pigeon man, who shoots through me is retired bit like a service, all done on the provision if just us we do the whole lot, like you say when we started he had others but not reliable or committed. 

7 hours ago, Jacko3275 said:

To the op if like me he books fields through nppc then it’s a matter of who books first shoots first I booked a rape field for Sunday  didn’t know if anyone was shooting the day before didn’t even know if it had any birds on it as I only just got the list I thought I would  go and when I got there there was no pigeon but lots of crow bordering the field on a railway sidings so I chuck my half shell pigeon decoys out upside down hoping to draw a few crow manage to get one to come  That is now no longer a pest to anyone 

That is certainly a new one on me , chucking your shell pigeon decoys upside down and hoping to draw some Crows in :hmm:, next time you go you want to chuck a few Black bin liners in your car and if there are any Crows about you can cut a few squares and wrap them around a clod of soil slightly bigger than a Crow and see how you get on , or you can try some bits of plastic guttering , you might even get lucky and find some old lengths of Black plastic guttering , cut it to about a foot and they can be stacked on to top of each other and cost next to nothing .

40 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Putting advice like that into the public domain would be giving information to the enemy. Sorry but how smart is that.

David.

I'm not really sure BASC's inability to counter medical reports has ever been a secret. As I've stated on here on several occasions, a conversation I had with Mike Eveleigh many moons ago regarding this very topic in which I asked him what were BASC doing about these GP's reports was answered with 'well what would you like us to do?' Must admit I was taken aback somewhat, but during the conversation it became clear that BASC could do nothing. His very words were...'it's coming ( meaning compulsory GP's reports ) and there's nothing we can do about it.' When I asked what was the point of me paying my subs he then countered with....'if I told you shooting were to be banned in ten years time would you stop shooting tomorrow?' Make of that what you will. Anyhow, he also said, 'we are pushing for ten year certificates as a compromise.' That's worked out well eh! 

I didn't renew. 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

That is certainly a new one on me , chucking your shell pigeon decoys upside down and hoping to draw some Crows in :hmm:, next time you go you want to chuck a few Black bin liners in your car and if there are any Crows about you can cut a few squares and wrap them around a clod of soil slightly bigger than a Crow and see how you get on , or you can try some bits of plastic guttering , you might even get lucky and find some old lengths of Black plastic guttering , cut it to about a foot and they can be stacked on to top of each other and cost next to nothing .

Just black underneath and thought it worth a try