CCL gun stock conditioning oil

LWalker

Just put a spot on the palm of your hand rub them together then rub the stock vigorously with your hands until you can feel the warmth......I do my gunstock maybe a couple of times a year.......never had to rub any excess off, because there isn’t any, it’s all worked into the wood!......I rate the stuff!

I assume your 525 is oil finished not varnished? 

Edited by panoma1

Used cci its good, as discribedre application. I have tried a few oils typical linseed oil teak oil etc over years, but pure tung oil is good on wood. bought a litre of it of fleabay £12 its gone up a bit now at £14 but its cheap and it will last you years just maintaining a finnish etc.

Fleabay no .

6 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Used cci its good, as discribedre application. I have tried a few oils typical linseed oil teak oil etc over years, but pure tung oil is good on wood. bought a litre of it of fleabay £12 its gone up a bit now at £14 but its cheap and it will last you years just maintaining a finnish etc.

Fleabay no .

I’ve got some tung oil. The instructions talk about removing previous finishes. Is that necessary? My stock is oiled and I used CCL a couple of years ago.

I use it curently on two guns a spanish sidelock and a 3 inch magnum SXS, they were both oil finnished when i got them, the Sidelock was brand new to me in 1981 no idea what they used. But i have not removed any previous finnishes,  had no problems with either gun and the magnum at least sees some rough treatment.

29 minutes ago, Townie said:

I’ve got some tung oil. The instructions talk about removing previous finishes. Is that necessary? My stock is oiled and I used CCL a couple of years ago.

• 1 year later...
On 06/08/2021 at 23:46, Adrian staines said:

I applied ccl a couple of day ago to my DT10, not really happy with the finish,,,, tad on the sticky side…. How do I remove it ?

You might have used a little too much oil so it has built a layer on top of the wood instead of being worked in completely. The trick is to apply as little oil as possible and repeat this a few times, allowing each layer to cure for a few days. You can remove surplus, sticky oil with… CCL itself. Just put some on a piece of clean white cloth and wipe it off. 
If done the right way, a CCL stock treatment needs about a week to cure completely after the final layer. You can speed up the curing by exposing your stock to bright sunlight.

2 hours ago, reindeer said:

You might have used a little too much oil so it has built a layer on top of the wood instead of being worked in completely. The trick is to apply as little oil as possible and repeat this a few times, allowing each layer to cure for a few days. You can remove surplus, sticky oil with… CCL itself. Just put some on a piece of clean white cloth and wipe it off. 
If done the right way, a CCL stock treatment needs about a week to cure completely after the final layer. You can speed up the curing by exposing your stock to bright sunlight.

+1 

A little goes a long way. A drop or two on the tip of my finger will totally cover one side of my stock. Leave for a few minutes then palm it off.