Extremely fun pigeons.

Clodhopper

This morning saw JDog and I tucked in a hedgerow next a newly drilled wheat crop. I say drilled, it was infact broad cast and pulled in with harrows in the very short window of dry weather which, I believe, was between midday and 5 pm on Thursday. 

Anyway the birds had found this field in good numbers, upwards 1000 pigeons were floating about but  with not a breathe of wind they just seemed to drift around, settle, feed and repeat. No line to speak of. We thought we would give it an hour as it was better than decorating at home for me and whatever JDog normally does on a Sunday morning. 

The pattern was 9 plastics and 2 dead birds on a magnet. In the first hour we shot 4 birds. It was not looking too good. Then around 10.30 a trickle started to come from a distant wood. They arrived as little dots way up in the sky and closed their wings to plummet into the pattern. Judging how far beneath to shoot was quite tricky and we both missed birds that were not that far away but seemed to speeding towards the ground. 

Normal service was soon resumed, we got to grips with them and over the course of the next hour we added a further 40 birds to the bag.

As we both had to be elsewhere ( not to mention both running out of shells) we packed up shortly after 11.30 having had a very enjoyable couple of hours.

image.jpeg.8c955c83dbfd752fe37217632635bba7.jpeg

image.jpeg.38baf6c0567487d99941ee521e92002f.jpeg

Tut tut, what have we told you about running out too shells!!!!

Well done to both of you, you found the birds and had a go. You know they want your decoys when they close there wings and fall out of the sky but they are difficult shots. We went out yesterday found nothing and shot eight at roost, it must be the lucky Tash !! But it's growing back.

A superb way to spend a Sunday morning , knock spots off going round the garden centre , we saw very few signs of Pigeons yesterday , although the weather was dull and dreary , we did have one pigeon hanging up , fat as butter and had Maize in it's mouth , still no sign of sick pigeons as reported in another thread .

JDog is certainly full of tricks. As I arrived he was complaining of a bad back. Taking pity on the silly old ****** I volunteered to carry the kit the 300 yards to the hide positions. 100 of which were up an rather steep incline. When finished I carried the kit and 40 of the birds back. JDog carried the other 4. He may be many things but he is not daft.Me on the other hand 🤔

4 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Tut tut, what have we told you about running out too shells!!!!

Well done to both of you, you found the birds and had a go. You know they want your decoys when they close there wings and fall out of the sky but they are difficult shots. We went out yesterday found nothing and shot eight at roost, it must be the lucky Tash !! But it's growing back.

Those birds South of Birmingham will be having an easy time of it whilst you are facially naked. Come the new year and a bit of regrowth they will have to watch out.

3 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Great report and good shooting I missed out on a days shooting with jdog as I packed the van up a day early gutted

You would have enjoyed it but they weren't easy by any means. Had you made it I would have employed you as a scarecrow at the far end of the field.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

And he does look very daft.

That statement have just lost you your next invite :lol: , mind you , he get you to lug some of gear over muddy fields and ( borrow ) some of your cartridges when he run out , so honestly speaking , is Mr JDog as daft as he look ? ( your words not mine ):hmm:

11 minutes ago, marsh man said:

That statement have just lost you your next invite  , mind you , he get you to lug some of gear over muddy fields and ( borrow ) some of your cartridges when he run out , so honestly speaking , is Mr JDog as daft as he look ? ( your words not mine )

The cartridges I lent him were some I bought as emergency stock after I had run out. I got them from the local tractor shop and they cost me an arm and a leg. JDog was Jess than impressed with them as, if I remember correctly he hardly touched feather with them.