Air Arms S510r Ultimate Sporter

Ttfjlc

Evening all, after owning a hw100ks for a few months and not quite gelling with the gun I decided it was time to look at other options, after receiving advice off a helpful chap off here I had a better idea of what to look out for. A few days of browsing guntrader I kept being drawn to this ultimate sporter so the deal was done and that was that or so I thought, an issue with the indexing and loud noise meant I'd owned it for less than 2 days before it went back (I could of cried), thank god for warranty! Issue resolved I've spent some time with it this afternoon and my word it's accurate, certainly looks the part and is simply a joy to shoot.

Hopefully the pictures load OK, showing the pellets I started out with, a couple of pictures of the gun, some 40 yard targets with the front runners and finally a bit of cardboard showing several results at 40 yards. 

I truly cannot emphasise enough just how much help and advice this person gave to me, his knowledge and humour helped at times when I was really ****** off and I'm extremely grateful, bruno22rf you're a star. :good:

IMG_20191124_125657-780x1040.jpg

IMG_20191124_173542-2340x2266-1755x1700.jpg

IMG_20191124_173457-2340x2500-1755x1875.jpg

IMG_20191124_150207-1040x780.jpg

IMG_20191124_152531-780x1040.jpg

Edited by Ttfjlc

Just as a matter of interest There was a post  the other day where the indexing post had snapped on a air arms s410 which apparently must be a common problem on that model , does the 510 suffer the same problem or is it a different set up , have been looking at the s510 superlite or the hw110

50 minutes ago, telf said:

Just as a matter of interest There was a post  the other day where the indexing post had snapped on a air arms s410 which apparently must be a common problem on that model , does the 510 suffer the same problem or is it a different set up , have been looking at the s510 superlite or the hw110

I'm sure its different 

@bruno22rf 

The indexing posts are the same on the S510 and S410 - but the post design has been updated recently - it now has a spring loaded "catch" that, I guess, should stop the things failing. There are, however, several reports of the new catch having manufacturing faults allowing the tiny spring to "kink" and jam - turning it around can fix the problem but this should never happen in the first place.The S510 US is a thousand pound gun and, pretty much, AA's flagship model - come on AA - think of your reputation and just how easy it is to lose it.

Edited by bruno22rf

Despite my pal above having one go tuts up, and several reports on the interweb concerning the indexing post, I have personally experienced far more HW's failing (or HC failing to fix them) than AA's - my 2 had been going strong for over 10 years and god alone knows how many shot's before having to splash out the wallet crunching £13 for a replacement post. The OP has been unlucky to some extent by buying from a Gun dealer that appears to know very little about Guns - this has made, to turn a phrase, a drama out of a crisis - I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that my local dealer, or indeed me personally, could have repaired said Gun in minutes - the OP, however, did exactly the right thing by taking the Gun back due to warranty concerns. He was let down by the dealer and the guns previous sausage fingered owner - to some extent by AA for not getting the job done faster but the dealer must shoulder the blame for sheer incompetence. I suppose all that ends well and all that - the OP now has one of the finest Air Rifles ever built and it should serve him well - stunning looking gun to boot.

So l gather the indexing post is easily replaceable , suppose its a case of you pays ya money and takes ya chance , have read of problems with the 110 but thought that was on earlier models however the weight will be the deciding factor , and the 510 is the slightly lighter gun , i have time on my hands as the motor has just gone **** up so funds will be required for that , hopefully aa might have sorted the problem out by then

11 hours ago, Robertt said:

Quite surpised as I owned an S510 which shot pellet on pellet at 40y with a variety of JSB's, as does my present Hw100.

Have you cleaned the barrel ?

Hi, cleaned the barrel to ensure any oil or grease was removed, something to note the 2 stand out brand's are both made by JSB. :good:

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

I'm sure its different 

@bruno22rf 

I spent ages trying to see how to tag Bruno then along comes Mice to show me how :lol:

1 hour ago, telf said:

So l gather the indexing post is easily replaceable , suppose its a case of you pays ya money and takes ya chance , have read of problems with the 110 but thought that was on earlier models however the weight will be the deciding factor , and the 510 is the slightly lighter gun , i have time on my hands as the motor has just gone **** up so funds will be required for that , hopefully aa might have sorted the problem out by then

It really is a great gun mate, technically I can curse any gun brand, if a particular model suffered a 1 in 10,000 glitch I'd be willing to bet that's the one I'd buy! My friend spelled it out, it was a so and so experience with a happy ending, 3 month old 2nd hand gun, 60 mile round trip to get the gun, wouldn't index and could barely close the side lever, another 60 mile round trip 2 days later to return gun, off to Air Arms it went, many days pass so I contact Air Arms direct, receive an apology as chap was on holiday and it hadn't been touched for 11 days, just a 'can't believe my luck' type of thing but Air Arms then to their credit turned it around in no time. 

To answer your question about easily replaceable yes it is, invoice states time taken to fix indexing issue and replace breach seal was 15 minutes.