First for me.

fse10

Was fishing over the weekend at Horning on the bure. Saw what i first thought was a skien of geese, as it got closer thought they might of been cormorants as they did not call. Then as they drew closer their flight didn't look right. As they got over head i could they started calling not a call i knew, As they came a bit lower could see their long legs behind them well first time i've seen Cranes all 24 of them. Wish i had my camera with me.

16 minutes ago, fse10 said:

Was fishing over the weekend at Horning on the bure. Saw what i first thought was a skien of geese, as it got closer thought they might of been cormorants as they did not call. Then as they drew closer their flight didn't look right. As they got over head i could they started calling not a call i knew, As they came a bit lower could see their long legs behind them well first time i've seen Cranes all 24 of them. Wish i had my camera with me.

There has been a re-introduction programme going on for some time in the Broads, and now the Somerset Levels.

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

They have been around the broads and breeding/ introductions with varying success for several years. First time i saw them was in 1995 when fishing a bit further down the Bure  near the  famous St Bennett's Abbey stretch opposite South Walsham dyke. 7 came over and landed on the marsh opposite and started calling. Was an amazing first for me and to see such big unusual birds flying low over the reeds against the sunset. Seen several since. The odd spoonbill to. . . . . Were you after pike? Mates get some real whoppers through Horning from now till end of season as they follow the silvers/prey into that sheltered stretch and boat yards. St Bennett's great for big bags of bream and roach in the warmer months fishing early/late or at night.    NB

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

They have been around the broads and breeding/ introductions with varying success for several years. First time i saw them was in 1995 when fishing a bit further down the Bure  near the  famous St Bennett's Abbey stretch opposite South Walsham dyke. 7 came over and landed on the marsh opposite and started calling. Was an amazing first for me and to see such big unusual birds flying low over the reeds against the sunset. Seen several since. The odd spoonbill to. . . . . Were you after pike? Mates get some real whoppers through Horning from now till end of season as they follow the silvers/prey into that sheltered stretch and boat yards. St Bennett's great for big bags of bream and roach in the warmer months fishing early/late or at night.    NB

I was just feeder fishing had loads of roach up to 1lb 8oz. Did not fish to well in day light was better first light & into dark as the water was so clear, six foot deep

off the bank & could see the bottom.

A pair of Cranes first came to Norfolk in the early 70s , these were kept quite and spent most of the time on the Horsey estate which is a private estate near the Broads ,  the first time they bred was in 1981 and they lost a chick to a predator then in 1982 the same pair brought off a male chick , the first time they bred in Britain for 400 years .

Now they are a fairly common sight if you live in the area , I was after geese one night on the Halvergate marshes when half a dozen Black shapes were coming towards me which I at first thought were geese , as they came nearer something didn't look right with the big wing span and it wasn't till they turned around 50 yds in front of me I could see the long legs sticking out from the tail , either I was lucky I had a idea what they were, or they were lucky I wasn't trigger happy :lol:

18 minutes ago, muncher said:

One morning flight on the Ouse Washes ,I had 4 spoonbills come out of the fog, they were lucky I was on the Ball.😁

There are a lot of cranes on the Whittlesey washes and Ouse Washes, regularly see them while I'm at work.

From a wild fowling point of view , the hardest goose to get right is the Bean Goose , we have got a small population on the Buckenham marshes of around 20 birds , at one time the flock was a lot bigger and as you are well aware a lot of geese are shot in very bad light or under the moon , with these marshes only a few miles away from mine one or two have mistakenly paid the price by one or two fowlers , I know there will be some of you say , if you don't know what they are then you shouldn't shoot , that would be fine in day light , but when at times you have got 10 / 15000 Pinkfeet and the odd flock of Whitefronts in your area on a dark night when it is blowing a gale , the chance of a Bean Goose coming over is very remote , but like I say , sometimes mistakes are made :no:

38 minutes ago, marsh man said:

From a wild fowling point of view , the hardest goose to get right is the Bean Goose , we have got a small population on the Buckenham marshes of around 20 birds , at one time the flock was a lot bigger and as you are well aware a lot of geese are shot in very bad light or under the moon , with these marshes only a few miles away from mine one or two have mistakenly paid the price by one or two fowlers , I know there will be some of you say , if you don't know what they are then you shouldn't shoot , that would be fine in day light , but when at times you have got 10 / 15000 Pinkfeet and the odd flock of Whitefronts in your area on a dark night when it is blowing a gale , the chance of a Bean Goose coming over is very remote , but like I say , sometimes mistakes are made 

If an experienced wildfowler says he has never made a mistake in such circumstances MM, I for one would be very sceptical! :blush: The problem nowadays is if you make such a mistake and some protectionist, anti reports you....you are for the high jump.....fowlers are not allowed to make a mistake now!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

If an experienced wildfowler says he has never made a mistake in such circumstances MM, I for one would be very sceptical! :blush: The problem nowadays is if you make such a mistake and some protectionist, anti reports you....you are for the high jump.....fowlers are not allowed to make a mistake now!

We had an instance in the club a few years ago where a club member was after geese and there were a few Bean geese about amongst the big flocks of Pinks , he didn't know at the time he was being watched by a R S P B member who was certain he had shot a Bean goose , on the way home the fowler was met by the birdie boy and a police land rover, he was asked to empty his bag and low and behold all he had was the clubs limit of Pink feet . a red face and wasting police time springs to mind . 

7 hours ago, marsh man said:

We had an instance in the club a few years ago where a club member was after geese and there were a few Bean geese about amongst the big flocks of Pinks , he didn't know at the time he was being watched by a R S P B member who was certain he had shot a Bean goose , on the way home the fowler was met by the birdie boy and a police land rover, he was asked to empty his bag and low and behold all he had was the clubs limit of Pink feet . a red face and wasting police time springs to mind . 

Had a similar experience many years ago was digging a fox out for a farmer when plod was coming across the field with some chap from the Badger  society.

As they got within 200 yards of us a fox bolted and i shot it  he said the chap had reported us for digging Badgers they even had a chap come later in the day to see if it was a badger set we was digging on  which it wasn't so all was ok

Edited by Rim Fire