20 boar for game shooting

silver fox 1

Just bought myself a 20 boar  to see how I get on  with it if I shoot well with it I’m thinking of taking it game shooting  I have six days after Christmas, 

I have been reading the extreme pheasant thread with interest and not wanting to disrupt the thread  I thought I would start this one,  so I was out on the clays Sunday with it the first two stands  were 40 yard clays  I know this because I was talking to the chap that runs the shoot, So I’ve never shot a 20 boar before  always shot a 12  so thinking to myself 20 boars throw  A tighter pattern than a 12 I put cylinder and quarter choke in  to get some practice I used a 21 g 7 1/2   And was hitting these 40 yard  crossers  so I think with a decent game  load and a tighter choke in theory I should be able to hit 60 yard pheasants Just wondering what you guys that shoot 20 boars at game  recommend  i’m just looking for something that patterns well I Will buy some different cartridges and shoot them at a pattern plate to make sure I have a good  pattern  to see what I’m looking at realistically  as I know different chokes and different cartridges will pattern differently in different guns, what do you guys shoot  why?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a 20 bore you have smaller bore smaller payload and pressure is your enemy on many fronts.

A sorted out 12 typical game load will kill to what that given gun load match up is capable of delivering the right number of lethal size pellets for the species of bird your choosing to shoot.

Same goes for a 4ga 10ga 20ga or any other ga bore of gun out there.

pattern as in the spread down to bore size is typically tighter if you like, but pressures shot size choke wadding all play a part along with bore size bore finnish too. turkey hunters polish std bores to a fine Finnish to improve patterns look on some of the turkey forums for evidence it works.

Do not consider range at this stage, pattern a varietey of loads at say 40 yards see what is the best in your gun, then try different chokes and loads together untill you see at 40 yards what as the best pattern at that range .

Looking at the typical number of hits you need for your choice of quarry will give you your max range at 40 yard.

Then try further pattern tests establish more limits in your own mind.

Then you will know exactly what your gun is capable of with your ammo. all guns are different and what works for me in my 20 might not work for you or visa versa.

Go learn what your set up is doing, make decisions on your max range on guns capability. then you can start with you your gun fit perhaps or techique , and start building your self your gun and load up on firm foundations, that way you will genuinely be efficient humane and the results will speak for themselves.

Ammo you will get a list as long and varried as your arm on ammo. but just because alan and his beretta like RC no reason to take it as read and run it in your Browning. they all like different food, and they tend to be like all little kids a tad more fussy than their bigger tenage brothers, but of course we all know that can be the exact oposite too. So to reiterate test the gun and loads at 40 and take it from there.

You are most probably not considering reloading for the 20 at this stage, but these links although about reloading have much info on 20s you might find of interest in your quest for further info.

•  

Edited by lancer425

" They have lost the plot when it comes to sportsmanship, my concern is that  perhaps a few of the young or inexperienced impressionable amongst us might be drawn into their ethical milden and be tempted to try and emulate some of these 80yard kills with the inevitable consequences."

I'll hazard a guess and suggest that even the author of the above quote is going to be somewhat surprised just how quickly his words turned out to be so prophetic

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

" They have lost the plot when it comes to sportsmanship, my concern is that  perhaps a few of the young or inexperienced impressionable amongst us might be drawn into their ethical milden and be tempted to try and emulate some of these 80yard kills with the inevitable consequences."

I'll hazard a guess and suggest that even the author of the above quote is going to be somewhat surprised just how quickly his words turned out to be so prophetic

Yes but we got asked so at least we can try and see things are done in a better way.

I've used a 20bore exclusvley for all my shooting since the end of last season and I wont be changing back to my 12 any time soon. With 26gm RC sipes in no7 or no6 through cyclinder and 1/4 over decoys, or 1/4 and 1/2 choke on driven pheasant and partridge days I've found it every bit as capable as I am, lighter to carry, it just seems to be better suited to the job of essex driven than carting my 12 about. Around half of the syndicate members I shoot with shoot 20's and the occassional 28b. That number is increasing every season.

2 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

I've used a 20bore exclusvley for all my shooting since the end of last season and I wont be changing back to my 12 any time soon. With 26gm RC sipes in no7 or no6 through cyclinder and 1/4 over decoys, or 1/4 and 1/2 choke on driven pheasant and partridge days I've found it every bit as capable as I am, lighter to carry, it just seems to be better suited to the job of essex driven than carting my 12 about. Around half of the syndicate members I shoot with shoot 20's and the occassional 28b. That number is increasing every season.

What you are describing there is the fact many shooters are using common sense have consciences and respect for what they chose to hunt.

Not nessasarily promoting 20s or 12 vor any other bore, but its evident for what you and the people in your shoot are doing the 20 bore with suitable chokes and loads are doing all you need, its working for you if it is weight gun fit or whatever so others follow suit and happy days. get the foundations there. and build off that stay within the chosen gun loads capabilities and everything works just fine.

24 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

With a 20 bore you have smaller bore smaller payload and pressure is your enemy on many fronts.

A sorted out 12 typical game load will kill to what that given gun load match up is capable of delivering the right number of lethal size pellets for the species of bird your choosing to shoot.

Same goes for a 4ga 10ga 20ga or any other ga bore of gun out there.

pattern as in the spread down to bore size is typically tighter if you like, but pressures shot size choke wadding all play a part along with bore size bore finnish too. turkey hunters polish std bores to a fine Finnish to improve patterns look on some of the turkey forums for evidence it works.

Do not consider range at this stage, pattern a varietey of loads at say 40 yards see what is the best in your gun, then try different chokes and loads together untill you see at 40 yards what as the best pattern at that range .

Looking at the typical number of hits you need for your choice of quarry will give you your max range at 40 yard.

Then try further pattern tests establish more limits in your own mind.

Then you will know exactly what your gun is capable of with your ammo. all guns are different and what works for me in my 20 might not work for you or visa versa.

Go learn what your set up is doing, make decisions on your max range on guns capability. then you can start with you your gun fit perhaps or techique , and start building your self your gun and load up on firm foundations, that way you will genuinely be efficient humane and the results will speak for themselves.

Ammo you will get a list as long and varried as your arm on ammo. but just because alan and his beretta like RC no reason to take it as read and run it in your Browning. they all like different food, and they tend to be like all little kids a tad more fussy than their bigger tenage brothers, but of course we all know that can be the exact oposite too. So to reiterate test the gun and loads at 40 and take it from there.

You are most probably not considering reloading for the 20 at this stage, but these links although about reloading have much info on 20s you might find of interest in your quest for further info.

•  

Thanks for the links I haven’t thought about the loading shot gun cartridges but I do reload for  my rifles you’ve just made me think why I don’t reload for shot gun definitely going to look into this 👍

36 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

What give me the idea I’ve been loading last season and this season for some guns that use 20 bores   And I have Seen them take some very nice birds with 28g 6 rc,  it started me off thinking why am I carrying this 12g  around four, I’ve had a look at  this chaps gun when I cleaned it it’s a fixed Choke not sure what it’s choked up at  but looks quite tight 

Edited by silver fox 1

I shoot 410 almost exclusively these days and shoot on a fair variety of shoots with a variety of birds presented. I know what my gun will do at 35-40yrds and try to stick to those birds and have great fun and that is what it is all about.  I killed a partridge this year crossoing at what Richard Gray of Affordable Days standing with me estimated to be between 45 and 50yrds,  it just stopped like it ran into a brick wall,  he said. Now that does not in any way make me believe I could do that every day every shot and if I did I would probably wound more birds than I managed to kill, as well as miss of course.     The 40yrd patterning practise above is very good advise and that will build a permanent picture in the mind as to ranging birds.  I have poplar trees in my wood which I know are as near 80ft as matters...that's  27yrds and I see pigeons come over that wood probably skimming the tops by 15ft putting them at 40rds as near enough matters and they look very impressive birds indeed but watching those helps me ascertain just how high a pheasant or partridge is as it approaches me. I have seen maybe five or six this season which would be higher.

Observe birds in the air and make your own calculations and the most important thing is, if you are not confident you can kill it then don't shoot.

Regarding chokes.  I have alternated just as an experiment after discussing with Richard Gray about him using open chokes in his 410.  I have now gone back to full in both barrels as it did not sem to make that much difference to my results and I know through testing that the full chokes throw very good 30 inch patterns at 35yrds.

I just need to do my job.

Have fun with your 20 gauge.

Edited by Walker570

8 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

What you are describing there is the fact many shooters are using common sense have consciences and respect for what they chose to hunt.

Not nessasarily promoting 20s or 12 vor any other bore, but its evident for what you and the people in your shoot are doing the 20 bore with suitable chokes and loads are doing all you need, its working for you if it is weight gun fit or whatever so others follow suit and happy days. get the foundations there. and build off that stay within the chosen gun loads capabilities and everything works just fine.

There's definately two distinct camps in the shooting circles I frequent, the first being the road I've gone down, for me I prefer the lighter weight of a 20, it's about 1.5lb lighter than my 12 and having a left handed gun fitted to me has helped enormously. I tried 28/30gm loads through it, other than more recoil there wasn't any difference at the recieving end, I have my 12 for 28gm and over, 25/26gm does the job perfectly. The second, generally slightly younger camp, are using increasingly heavier payloads and tighter chokes though their 12's, which when we shoot together I see no advantage to using. 

I spoke to a much less experienced friend of mine on Saturday morning who was on his way to the gun shop to stock up on carts. Out of curiousity I asked him what he was buying, oh some 28/30gm for the lad in his 20 and some 32gm 4 or 5 for my 12. Both Black Gold, I explained to him that his lad being 14 and not the largest framed in the world isn't going to appreciate being knocked about by those loads, it will very likely lead to flinching and missing, I'd advised him to stick with the 24/26gm he was using, if it wasn't killing adequantly increase the choking slightly. Equally for him 30gm of no6 will do the job all day long on the kind of birds he's under.  

People get carried away with articles in the shooting press, or the my mate uses these so they must be good. I'd take a moderate payload that's comforable to shoot over the fashonable choices all day long.

16 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

What give me the idea I’ve been loading last season and this season for some guns that use 20 bores   And I have Seen them take some very nice birds with 28g 6 rc,  it started me off thinking why am I carrying this 12g  around four, I’ve had a look at  this chap is gun when I cleaned it it’s a fixed Choke not sure what it’s choked up at  but looks quite tight 

I had a very similar experience, I bought a beretta 690 and shot some paper with it, 26gm RC seem to pattern quite well through it, I used it roost shooting with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes and was more than happy with the results, if the centre pattern of 1/2 choke connects it's pretty devastating. On the two driven days I've shot this year I've kept the cyclinder and half choke in from summer decoying and havent really thought about it. 

Paradoxically, you could extend your range if you were to just shoot pheasant cocks, but if your six days include hens then your patterns need some 60 pellets in the central 20" circle. All things being equal full choke with 25g of 6s will give you 50 yards. However, that is a high bird situation so I'd be inclined to go for 26g (only because I can't seem to quickly find any other choice than RC Sipe) of 6&1/2s - Italian 7s which would make things easier by opening the choke out but slightly reducing the range. All figures are ish.

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have come across two people this season who each thought 34 gram No.4’s was an appropriate load for flat land Lincolnshire partridges over hedges. 
I don’t know where they get these ideas from.

Guilty I have put some heavy loads through my 12g for 30  yard to 60 yard birds,  haven’t really found it uncomfortable but you certainly know you’ve been shooting,  nowadays I have no intention of beating myself up I’d much rather use a lighter cartridge and maybe enjoy my day more 

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Paradoxically, you could extend your range if you were to just shoot pheasant cocks, but if your six days include hens then your patterns need some 60 pellets in the central 20" circle. All things being equal full choke with 25g of 6s will give you 50 yards. However, that is a high bird situation so I'd be inclined to go for 26g (only because I can't seem to quickly find any other choice than RC Sipe) of 6&1/2s - Italian 7s which would make things easier by opening the choke out but slightly reducing the range. All figures are ish.

Yes both cocks and hens.  I’m going to pattern test a few different cartridges to try and put this one to bed in my mind I tend to shoot better when I don’t think,  I tend to shoot better if I snapp shoot  not enough time to think just up and  Bang 

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have come across two people this season who each thought 34 gram No.4’s was an appropriate load for flat land Lincolnshire partridges over hedges. 
I don’t know where they get these ideas from.

That made me laugh if it were me I would’ve picked something like a 28g 6,  through my 12g ,if you see somebody that can really shoot everybody seems to want to know what cartridges  they’re using 

I bought a 20g MacNab partially funded by my winter fuel handout [see old people wasting tax money thread] and today used it for the first time on live game, a good 3hr walkabout with my spaniel in the heather, resulted in three woodcock for three shots, the gun weighs a little under 6lb and is a pleasure to use

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I bought a 20g MacNab partially funded by my winter fuel handout [see old people wasting tax money thread] and today used it for the first time on live game, a good 3hr walkabout with my spaniel in the heather, resulted in three woodcock for three shots, the gun weighs a little under 6lb and is a pleasure to use

That sounds really nice I couldn’t think of a better way to spend 3 hours,  when I’m not loading I’m picking up with the spaniels  i Love working my dogs  just as much as I do shooting 

Thing is with a 20 you can get a gun in o/u with its single nice narrow rib that weighs in the same as a typical 12 bore SxS game gun.

Some may like this for whatever reason.

If you go Sxs however your lighter, this again might suit you or you might like a heavier gun for whatever reason.

We are all different want something different for different reasons some times.

One thing i like about 20s ammo room, you can stuff a good few more shots for a 20 bore in your jacket pocket than you can 12s.

Loads are lighter less shot powder charges lighter too nand although other components can be disproportionately more expensive pick your loads and components and reloading can be quite economical.

Recoil ? well ok may be the case if your on 3/4 ot 7/8th oz ammo but 20s are lighter and cab bump a little compared to say a 6 1/2 lb 12ga on impax or reloaded clone of impax .

20 has its pros and cons, its not as versatile as the 12, but its probably all many of us need, and probably more enjoyable to shoot with the light loads.

20s in my experience like 3/4 or 7/8ths 7s or 7 1/2s they handle this weight of load well most of the time. once they get to 1oz they can start to get a bit fussy. not saying they wont workon oz loads  just i found the lighter loads were better in guns i tried this weight load in compared to 1oz.

But as said before let the gun decide what it works on it will give you the range it works at as a max range best, and stay lethal and humane if you do not run it outside its capabilities.

13 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Thing is with a 20 you can get a gun in o/u with its single nice narrow rib that weighs in the same as a typical 12 bore SxS game gun.

If you go Sxs however your lighter, this again might suit you or you might like a heavier gun for whatever reason.

One thing i like about 20s ammo room, you can stuff a good few more shots for a 20 bore in your jacket pocket than you can 12s.

Loads are lighter less shot powder charges lighter too nand although other components can be disproportionately more expensive pick your loads and components and reloading can be quite economical.

Recoil ? well ok may be the case if your on 3/4 ot 7/8th oz ammo but 20s are lighter and cab bump a little compared to say a 6 1/2 lb 12ga on impax or reloaded clone of impax .

20 has its pros and cons, its not as versatile as the 12, but its probably all many of us need, and probably more enjoyable to shoot with the light loads.

20s in my experience like 3/4 or 7/8ths 7s or 7 1/2s they handle this weight of load well most of the time. once they get to 1oz they can start to get a bit fussy. not saying they wont workon oz loads  just i found the lighter loads were better in guns i tried this weight load in compared to 1oz.

But as said before let the gun decide what it works on it will give you the range it works at as a max range best, and stay lethal and humane if you do not run it outside its capabilities.

mines fixed choke imp cylinder and 1/2,  30 inch barrels, i was using factory loads 24g 7's. I dont notice the gun when mounting and firing. they were easy shots today TBH one crossing and two going away.. and well within range

1 hour ago, motty said:

I prefer to use a 12 sow for my game shooting.

I thought a 20 boar might be a pig to use. 

Quite a few of my mate's have swapped to a 20b and they still miss, but on a serious note they will not go back and never feel under gunned they shoot exactly the same bird's as before. 

25 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

That was my other option is I would’ve liked a side-by-side as it’s more traditional but there always seems to be a but  i’ve always shot o/u  it’s what I was given when I first started shooting,  A bit like when you first start driving I bought the same car I learnt to driving in  as I knew I could drive it,  rabbit Boshier on here had a lovely AyA no2  I so very nearly went down that route