20 boar for game shooting

silver fox 1

5 minutes ago, B725 said:

I thought a 20 boar might be a pig to use. 

Quite a few of my mate's have swapped to a 20b and they still miss, but on a serious note they will not go back and never feel under gunned they shoot exactly the same bird's as before. 

😂  I didn’t think it would be long before someone commented on my spelling  predictive text that’s my excuse anyway  tried to edit it once but didn’t seem to want to know,  do you think it will be okay to shoot these Pigys  at 80 yards  though 🤭

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

I bought a 20g MacNab partially funded by my winter fuel handout [see old people wasting tax money thread] and today used it for the first time on live game, a good 3hr walkabout with my spaniel in the heather, resulted in three woodcock for three shots, the gun weighs a little under 6lb and is a pleasure to use

Glad that you finally got to use your 20g Macnab and that it suits your style/type of shooting. 

OB

17 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

😂  I didn’t think it would be long before someone commented on my spelling  predictive text that’s my excuse anyway  tried to edit it once but didn’t seem to want to know,  do you think it will be okay to shoot these Pigys  at 80 yards  though 🤭

120 yards but only in your dream's, the 20 will be absolutely fine for you. 👍

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Glad that you finally got to use your 20g Macnab and that it suits your style/type of shooting. 

OB

Yes mate finally.😄. just loading some itx and bismuth for ducks in 70mm carts supplied by salfordninja33 but would love to get some 3 inch once fired [if anyone has any] for steel.. thinking the 20 will be my to go to gun

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I have come across two people this season who each thought 34 gram No.4’s was an appropriate load for flat land Lincolnshire partridges over hedges. 
I don’t know where they get these ideas from.

When you've got the likes of Hull making the 'partridge cartridge' can you expect any difference from someone whose fresh to the sport or is easily swayed by a bit of marketing. 

Last outing on BIG shoot I picked up some cartridges at one peg and noticed they were 32grm 5's in 20 bore. The surprising aspect they were paper cartridges; I should have made a note as to the manufacturer. 

We drive redlegs and pheasant, but they are challenging birds, and very rarely low. 

35 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I can't imagine there would be alot left to eat. 

Jokes aside it begs the question how they came to the conclusion that it was the appropriate load. 

That reminds me of a shot a mate pulled off while we were partridge (real English) shooting on Milltown Airfield which I thought was at the absolute limit of the possible range. We had a devil of a job finding it until matey called me over pointing to the ground in front of him. There lay two wings. It really was some shot as the load must have completely balled is the only possible explanation.

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Last outing on BIG shoot I picked up some cartridges at one peg and noticed they were 32grm 5's in 20 bore. The surprising aspect they were paper cartridges; I should have made a note as to the manufacturer. 

We drive redlegs and pheasant, but they are challenging birds, and very rarely low. 

I picked up a mixed case of 20 bore stuff from a gun shop near to you. There was a box of 32 gram 5's and 30 gram 5's in that. I fired a couple of cartridges out of each on some clays. I collect my new false teeth next week  !   🙄

6 hours ago, London Best said:

I have come across two people this season who each thought 34 gram No.4’s was an appropriate load for flat land Lincolnshire partridges over hedges. 
I don’t know where they get these ideas from.

I have taken some birds home this season from shoots and when cleaned they had holes like BBs through them !!!

Makes me wonder what some people do think,  shooting big loads at birds they don’t need to,  since I’ve been loading the past two seasons it’s really open my eyes to what you can shoot with a 28g 6  through a nice old sxs some of the guns  I load for don’t want to put any more than that through 130-year-old gun 

Edited by silver fox 1

Hopefully it will not rain this Thursday and I can take my Army & Navy 16 gauge pheasant shooting for it's day out. I will be shooting standard Eley Grand Prix and I know full well if I do my job it will peel birds out of the sky no problem as high as I want to shoot them. This gun was made very early 1900s and was originally black powder but I had it nitro proofed, original damascus barrels and a joy to shoot.

20 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I can't imagine there would be alot left to eat. 

Jokes aside it begs the question how they came to the conclusion that it was the appropriate load. 

I don't think that is too big a load for partridges, to be honest. I hardly think they would be smashed up, unless shot at close range.