20 boar for game shooting

silver fox 1

6 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't think that is too big a load for partridges, to be honest. I hardly think they would be smashed up, unless shot at close range.

I would have thought an oz of 6's or 7's would have been more appropriate for the quarry, just seems to me like rather a lot of big-ish lead to be chucking out at a small bird. Granted there's not a massive amount between 6's and 5.5 but I've always thought of 5's as the towards the end of season cock bird shot size.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

I would have thought an oz of 6's or 7's would have been more appropriate for the quarry, just seems to me like rather a lot of big-ish lead to be chucking out at a small bird. Granted there's not a massive amount between 6's and 5.5 but I've always thought of 5's as the towards the end of season cock bird shot size.

I would probably use an ounce of 7, provided the partridges weren't all 50 yarders, but the aforementioned load isn't exactly huge.

2 minutes ago, motty said:

I would probably use an ounce of 7, provided the partridges weren't all 50 yarders, but the aforementioned load isn't exactly huge.

No its not huge, just bigger than I and I'm guessing a fair few others would use. 

When they were first announced I did jokingly ask my local rfd if he planned on stocking them, the swear filter won't left me post he's response 😂

13 minutes ago, motty said:

Short of reloading and I have noted your earlier post, but for the 20 and British make your choice is Hobson's. It's getting silly and will probably get worse until things come full circle again.

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Short of reloading and I have noted your earlier post, but for the 20 and British make your choice is Hobson's. It's getting silly and will probably get worse until things come full circle again.

I do think it is because more and more I am coming in contact with sportsmen and women who are going to 20s, 28s and 410 but even with 410 I talk with guns who are looking at 21 and 23gr loads in a 410 now I reload my own and to go from my 18.7g to 21g is probably 3 or 4 #5s and the fact that the load is further limited by the muzzle velocity you can push those larger loads to is not really worth it.  I have experiemnted quite a bit from 16 through to 19 and find that 18.7 is just about optimum with #6s or 7s#  I only opoad #5s in non toxic for the occasional duck.

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I do think it is because more and more I am coming in contact with sportsmen and women who are going to 20s, 28s and 410 but even with 410 I talk with guns who are looking at 21 and 23gr loads in a 410 now I reload my own and to go from my 18.7g to 21g is probably 3 or 4 #5s and the fact that the load is further limited by the muzzle velocity you can push those larger loads to is not really worth it.  I have experiemnted quite a bit from 16 through to 19 and find that 18.7 is just about optimum with #6s or 7s#  I only opoad #5s in non toxic for the occasional duck.

I used a 28 bore SA  last year, really liked it. own loaded 23gr. Ive gone for the 20 bore this year as I think it capable for all of my quarry , I.e Greylag to Snipe,  bismuth or lead, we shall see, Still got 12g semi for heavy steel loads,  

Reloading for 20 or any ga is generally not a huge saving, but small bores can be cheap as ammo firms like to charge the earth for small bore ammo. or big bore.

20s more popular now than its ever been so prices have comparatively fallen a little but not by much.

I reload for everything i shoot ex /22LR . and use only a few factory loads.

But for me reloading is more about availability of anything i want to shoot when i want to shoot it without leaving the house literaly anytime of day or night.

No more looking around for a 3 inch load of steel 3s if you have the idea 1s will work better want to try in your gun set up load a few see how they go.

.Buy a lee load all 2 about £65/70 posted off the net. cheap loader bbut they work. other option used try by all means but the lee is there now and they are really ok tools and for the money good.

Reloadings for 20 not for everyone but it has some advantages not so obvious until you get into doing it.

Cheap  option lee load all.

20 bore a cracking gauge for game  or pigeons ,  I have friends that use matched pairs of  410  and   28 bore   they shoot a lot just about every day / every other day  some where  , on game don't miss a lot  a pleasure to watch  driven pheasants  heads over their shoulders dead in the air   at unbelievable distances   one after another  a good team of guns  whom shoot daily    a delight on any shoot   day be it glyimpton  or a farm shoot   a clean kills foremost or send a well trained dog retrieve 

Been having a PM chat which reminded me Anyone who is already shooting 12 and possibly reloads who is after a 20 bore could not do much better than this:

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/webley-scott/side-by-side/12-gauge/2-boxlock-ejector-180323154013003

but who on earth messed up the Hellis?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/hellis-chas/side-by-side/12-gauge/191022151048002

3 hours ago, silver fox 1 said:

Thanks everybody for the information And lancer425  for the reloading link,   That Lee shotshell  is quite cheap  going to look into the Reloading  more, at  The moment it’s looking like a no-brainer 

Lee loadall off ebay just under £80 now posted.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lee-Precision-Lee-Load-All-II-20-Bore-Gauge-Shotgun-Reloading-90012/183926883450?hash=item2ad2e5847a:g:NAQAAOSwrXddXrIS