Gun Security at Clay Grounds

akey

So a recent post on facebook and several of the replies got me thinking about how we secure guns at clay grounds.  I will admit I am a complete anal nut job and always carry my gun around with me (usually in the slip), I go in for breakfast and take my gun with me etc etc.  I don't know if its the ex Military bit of me that wants it always within arms reach or if I am just overly risk adverse.

Anyway the answers to the facebook post varied from people leave them in racks, but keep an eye on them, to just lock it in your car when you are done and heading to the club house, so I thought I would get a view from this fine group:

How do you store / look after your gun while at a shooting ground, but not actively shooting or on the layout?  (I am genuinely interested in peoples thoughts on this btw)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to leave my gun in the rack in the clubhouse until I found a total stranger had picked it up and was going to shoot a round with it, he thought that they  all belonged to the shooting ground. I asked him if that were the case why are they all in gunslips?

After that I always left my gun locked in my car between rounds.

Vic.

35 minutes ago, Harnser said:

More guns are stolen from clay grounds than any where else . Mine are in the slip with me at all times .

harnser

Really? I’d be very interested in learning where you found this info’. 
Mine are always locked in a vehicle when not in use, but at three grounds I frequent there are racks which always contain unslipped guns. 

Welcome to the forum 😊

you should find most members are very security conscious as some have very valuable guns with lots of time and expense put into getting them fitted and set up for competition shooting 

best plan for a novice is leave in locked boot with fore end removed and with you 

sign on and have a brew then go and get your slipped gun shortly before your squad departs 

enjoy the round of clays keeping the gun with you

end of the round either keep the slipped gun with you or back into the locked boot 

obviously a lot depending upon the ground some have cctv and or rules for gun storage 

enjoy your clay shooting 

I must be honest and say that I do NOT like guns in a clubhouse. This is due entirely to having had the misfortune of witnessing TWO accidental discharges of shotguns in clubhouses. IF ever I am putting an unslipped gun into,  or removing it from a gun rack, whilst the barrels are still pointing at the ceiling, I open or close the gun and then complete the operation. EVERY week, at whatever ground I happen to be at,  I witness some of the worst gun handling imaginable.  Most of which is by,  dare I say,  game shooters who seem to think it perfectly acceptable to wave a closed gun around the room,  prior to opening it.  My gun remains locked in my car when I am in the clubhouse. As the car park is ALWAYS the busiest place on the ground and my car is fitted with an excellent alarm system, I think the gun is safer there,  than in a gun rack.  Having run a shooting ground for some 17 years, I suppose it was inevitable that I would encounter most things concerning guns and their misuse. However, I have never encountered a 'stolen' gun, 3 'misplaced' guns, yes (those taking the wrong gun home) but thankfully never a stolen gun. That may have been in no small part due to being on a Military Range,  where MOD security were on site.  For all of these 'stolen' guns from gun clubs and shooting grounds, only something around 0.02% end up in the hands of criminals, but I doubt your FEO would admit to that one  !   I suggest that maybe Criminals find it difficult to procure a Doctors Letter  ?   🤔

If you are shooting you need your gun with you.'

If you are eating surely you don't need it with you. Where do you put it? Lock it in the car.

My heart goes out to the ex serviceman who has to have a gun beside him at all times.

Edited by DUNKS

24 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

If you are shooting you need your gun with you.'

If you are eating surely you don't need it with you. Where do you put it? Lock it in the car.

My heart goes out to the ex serviceman who has to have a gun beside him at all times.

Cheers Dunks, just difficult to break 21 years of habit I guess, either that or I am just paranoid about leaving anything in my car, I wont leave a laptop in my car either.

I assume you are the same Dunks for other forums, if so we should catch up at a ground soon (coffee's on me) :)

Edited by akey

There are thieves amongst shooters, just like anywhere else. I had a double set of chokes stolen during a National Intercounties. I was lulled into being careless  by the sense of community and the "most law abiding people in the country" spiel. 

It was amazing how certain high profile people felt I shouldn't say anything about this. It was Pigeon Watch kindness that set me back up with at least some chokes. 

36 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I beg to differ, you either fire deliberately or handle a gun so negligently as to cause it to be discharged in the presence of others. No such thing as an accidental discharge.

So you’re in the stand shot your first pair unload check barrels are clear reload close the gun and it goes off 

because a fireing pin broke and jammed causing the gun to fire on closing is that negligence or deliberate? 

or maybe accidental ? 

36 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I presume the weapon stolen from Orston Shooting Ground started this post.

The woman concerned seemed to show very little regard for the security of her weapon.

I wonder if she will keep her SGC?

Yes, thats the one.  I thought the same, but also the varied responses about security at grounds got me thinking and was interested in others views.