Gun Security at Clay Grounds

akey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 25/11/2019 at 15:47, akey said:

So a recent post on facebook and several of the replies got me thinking about how we secure guns at clay grounds.  I will admit I am a complete anal nut job and always carry my gun around with me (usually in the slip), I go in for breakfast and take my gun with me etc etc.  I don't know if its the ex Military bit of me that wants it always within arms reach or if I am just overly risk adverse.

Anyway the answers to the facebook post varied from people leave them in racks, but keep an eye on them, to just lock it in your car when you are done and heading to the club house, so I thought I would get a view from this fine group:

How do you store / look after your gun while at a shooting ground, but not actively shooting or on the layout?  (I am genuinely interested in peoples thoughts on this btw)

It's why I rarely shoot at the Kibworth Shooting Ground. It has a no guns (even in a slip) in the clubhouse cafe rule. They had a gun stolen from a car some time ago. But the lesson seems not to have been learned.

Its one of the areas I think the CPSA need to provide further guidance on. Guns in (locked) owners cars makes sense to me in terms of insurance and responsibility but the car park needs to be in a place that doesn't make a smash & grab an obvious easy option. I understand racks in clubhouses but it does mean a gun can be picked up and walked off with and it does place some responsibility on the club involved - whats convenient for us usually is for the thief. Being in the insurance (claims) business, I expect most (accessible to the public) clubs are shifting the responsibility to the gun owner and given that the license obligations that may be a fair option for them to take.

Enfield - Given Kibworth is my local ground and I am a member I have a tendency to defend them !!

On 28/05/2020 at 01:10, Adrian Foster said:

Its one of the areas I think the CPSA need to provide further guidance on. Guns in (locked) owners cars makes sense to me in terms of insurance and responsibility but the car park needs to be in a place that doesn't make a smash & grab an obvious easy option. I understand racks in clubhouses but it does mean a gun can be picked up and walked off with and it does place some responsibility on the club involved - whats convenient for us usually is for the thief. Being in the insurance (claims) business, I expect most (accessible to the public) clubs are shifting the responsibility to the gun owner and given that the license obligations that may be a fair option for them to take.

Enfield - Given Kibworth is my local ground and I am a member I have a tendency to defend them !!

Just use common sense, I've seen guns in racks taken out and shot by people who do not know who the guns belonged too, must have thought it was a try before you buy rack, this was at Coniston many years ago.

Mines gone in the car boot for over 40 years at different grounds, if they cannot see it how do they know what's in the boot.

ps, it's nothing to do with the CPSA.

Edited by BlaserF3
addition

Blaser - Agree with you on everything you say other than the CPSA could, & I would suggest should, give some advice to the grounds - I would expect this type of risk advice if they are covered via a CPSA based liability insurance policy. It may have already been done in which case it would be helpful to know what it is - I suspect it would be pass any risk & liability to the license holder at all times - hence the guns in cars policy at some grounds. 

1 hour ago, Adrian Foster said:

Blaser - Agree with you on everything you say other than the CPSA could, & I would suggest should, give some advice to the grounds - I would expect this type of risk advice if they are covered via a CPSA based liability insurance policy. It may have already been done in which case it would be helpful to know what it is - I suspect it would be pass any risk & liability to the license holder at all times - hence the guns in cars policy at some grounds. 

Yes the onus is on you.

2 hours ago, BlaserF3 said:

Just use common sense, I've seen guns in racks taken out and shot by people who do not know who the guns belonged too, must have thought it was a try before you buy rack, this was at Coniston many years ago.

Mines gone in the car boot for over 40 years at different grounds, if they cannot see it how do they know what's in the boot.

ps, it's nothing to do with the CPSA.

This. Guns are gun owners responsibility. 

On 29/05/2020 at 15:46, BlaserF3 said:

I've heard the same, or at least a very similar story. 

Ive also seen a shooter take someone else's gun from the rack by mistake. He didn't realise until a few weeks afterwards and sheepishly returned it back to the club. 

I always keep my gun within arms reach (or arms reach of someone I know and trust) when it isn't securely locked away. I cannot understand why someone would treat an expensive item any differently, especially one that could jeopardise your certificate if it disappeared.

One of my local shooting grounds has removed the racks from outside the clubhouse after what happened at Orston. I understand why, but it was infuriating trying to sort all my kit out whilst holding my gun earlier this week!

On 26/11/2019 at 08:22, discobob said:

The SMG looked the part in the Star Wars movies though

Sterling, not sten

On 16/12/2019 at 11:33, Northern Gunner said:

Maybe Clay Grounds should do away with Gun Racks, thereby discouraging the temptation to leave Guns unattended.

Just a thought for people to debate and have a bun fight over 😎 

Could have gun racks made like bike racks, i.e. they have steel frame and locking point. Insert barrels into keeper at top which is solid to secure chokes and have a wire rope for going through trigger guard secured with personal padlock.

Edited by Stonepark

Without watching the car park, how do thieves know which cars have guns in  ?  They must be watching until someone returns to their car, places the gun inside, then goes off to have a coffee etc., or alternatively arrives, locks car and then goes off to the clubhouse. Maybe CCTV signs prominently displayed on the entrance and around the car park, even coupled with dummy cameras', is certainly a deterrent.