Gun Security at Clay Grounds

akey

On 16/12/2019 at 21:53, Centrepin said:

It was a sad day when the final Bren went. We kept ours until the silly SA80 was forced on us. They would have been better keeping it and scrapping the LSW.

I have a good claim to be the second last to fire a Bren in the Army, we were told ours were the last to go and I was on the last detail to fire them, the guy next to me  counted his rounds more carefully and managed to hold onto one till everyone else had stopped. The serial number of mine started UE44 I'll remember the rest later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe off topic but given the comments regarding accidental discharges (or whatever the correct terminology is) could somebody explain to me why some grounds like guns in slips between stands and other allow them out in the open. My own mental risk assessment prefers guns I can see (and that are open) and I worry a discharge can occur when guns are being put in (or are kept in) a slip; often people put guns in a slip without really thinking where they are pointing in the process.

35 minutes ago, Adrian Foster said:

Maybe off topic but given the comments regarding accidental discharges (or whatever the correct terminology is) could somebody explain to me why some grounds like guns in slips between stands and other allow them out in the open. My own mental risk assessment prefers guns I can see (and that are open) and I worry a discharge can occur when guns are being put in (or are kept in) a slip; often people put guns in a slip without really thinking where they are pointing in the process.

I've never been to a ground which has expressed a preference for either method, but some folk don't like others to have guns over their shoulders ( as is often the preferred method of carrying when broken, at clay grounds ) lest they turn quickly and give someone a slap with the butt. I'm totally indifferent which method shooters employ. 

I'm not really sure I understand your second paragraph, as guns returned to slips are invariably empty, so a discharge is highly unlikely at this point. I've no doubt it could happen, but in all the years I've been shooting either clays or game, I've never known anyone return a loaded gun to its slip, nor remove a loaded gun from a slip. We have to have an element of trust between ourselves, otherwise where do we stop, or start, regarding risk assessment? 

On 25/11/2019 at 19:12, ehb102 said:

There are thieves amongst shooters, just like anywhere else. I had a double set of chokes stolen during a National Intercounties. I was lulled into being careless  by the sense of community and the "most law abiding people in the country" spiel. 

It was amazing how certain high profile people felt I shouldn't say anything about this. It was Pigeon Watch kindness that set me back up with at least some chokes. 

Hopefully they broke a few clays 😉

On 09/01/2020 at 15:44, Adrian Foster said:

I think the idea is that if the gun is in a slip it can’t be shot. Iv been to less formal clay grounds where people think its funny to take a shot at your clay while waiting, or at best shoot it after you have missed to wind you up. Guns in slips prevents such behaviour. 

I must add that whenever its happened I have never felt it has been dangerous, but with the wrong person doing it, getting excited, it could be very dangerous. 

On 26/11/2019 at 16:47, Vince Green said:

The police don't always regard 'locked in the car' as adequate security. One of those "we can make the rules up as we go along" situations. I have a U bolt and a heavy duty steel cable with padlock as well in my boot. Damned what ever you do, if it goes missing you are in the do-do

Years ago our then club liaison officer made a telling comment, stolen guns virtually never get used in crime - they are too valuable. They disappear abroad

What was telling about it? 
Was he a gun thief? 🤔

On 09/01/2020 at 15:44, Adrian Foster said:

IF a gun is put into and removed from, a gunslip in a correct manner, the muzzles will ALWAYS be pointed in a safe direction and the gun will be seen to be clear instantly. The reason I use a gunslip to carry my gun around grounds,  is simply to protect my gun from any damage. I disagree with a gun being worn as a scarf simply because I have been smacked on the back of the head by one. I recently saw someone leaving a stand with a gun over his shoulder and the barrels pointed to the rear, it was this way around because he had just ejected his spent cases into the bin. If he had put as much effort into hitting the clay as he did the bin, he would probably be a better shot  !

8 minutes ago, Westley said:

IF a gun is put into and removed from, a gunslip in a correct manner, the muzzles will ALWAYS be pointed in a safe direction and the gun will be seen to be clear instantly. The reason I use a gunslip to carry my gun around grounds,  is simply to protect my gun from any damage. I disagree with a gun being worn as a scarf simply because I have been smacked on the back of the head by one. I recently saw someone leaving a stand with a gun over his shoulder and the barrels pointed to the rear, it was this way around because he had just ejected his spent cases into the bin. If he had put as much effort into hitting the clay as he did the bin, he would probably be a better shot  !

You are absolutely correct but unfortunately most people haven't worked out the correct way to slip a shotgun.

21 hours ago, bigroomboy said:

You are absolutely correct but unfortunately most people haven't worked out the correct way to slip a shotgun.

It is a standing joke on some of the game shoots and clay grounds in this locality, IF someone removes and replaces the gun in a slip in the approved manner, it is probable that  they have had a lesson with me  !     😂

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Adrian Foster said:

Now the interesting thing about that article is the duct tape around the grip. I noticed Ben Husthwaite has done that in some of his videos and I wondered how long it would take to catch on !

NO, that was Gorilla tape  !         :lol:

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

The Police catch them and submit the case to CPS, who prosecute - fine up to now. What I can't get a grip of is the pathetic sentences. What happened to 5 years?

My thought exactly. A slap on the wrist for them and a slap in the face for the general public.