Removable magazine plugs.

Lloyd90

I blame Douglas Hurd. After the Hungerford tragedy, the government sought to defer the wrath of the media and anti shooting fraternity away from the police and licensing authorities, who it seemed did not enact the law and requirements for firearms ownership that existed at that time. Mr Hurd, needing to be “seen to be doing something “ did not want to upset his landed gentry friends so put the blame on certain types of firearm, thereby penalising specific shooting groups outside of his personal interest. If he had been honest in wanting to tighten up the law then he could have simply made everything section one. Can you imagine the Tory uproar if lord muck had to register all his doubles individually? And request a slot so as to buy another Purdey? And all the other restrictions that we suffer for our chosen sport(s)

The half baked legislation (repeated after the dreadful events at Dunblane) would not, in either case have been necessary had the then current rules and checks been properly administered.

the two tier shotgun rules make nothing or nobody safer, one shot is just as dangerous as five or three or ten. What we have is a system of political bias and dare I say corruption, media led hysteria and lobbying by activists for their own agendas, piggybacking on terrible events. The shooting public have been let down by their own organisations who have been negligent in the discharge of their responsibilities and have in some cases actually condemned other’s sports or disciplines with a misguided view that it would make their own sport look better. 

Sorry guys rant over

I was under the impression that the magazine being non removeable (welded in) was for shotguns with a box magazine rather that fixed mag guns but I could be wrong.

If I was so inclined I could remove the crimp in my guns mag in a few minutes so it is all down to trust really.   

21 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thats what I said! 

Yet some bloke on Facebook was going mental on me for saying what you have said, saying how he has a browning 12 and 10 Bore that both have plugs and shouting that a company as big as browning wouldn’t sell guns that weren’t legal in the U.K. 

He may well be right that he has a plug but the tube may also be crimped. 

My weatherby has the removable plug as I guess it is standard to shove it in for boxing up for shipping around the world. 

The tube is also crimped though, I guess to comply with UK law. 

I did have a moments panic when I got the gun home and realised I could remove the plug... Thought I had been sold the S1 version. 🤣

On 29/11/2019 at 19:08, bluesj said:

I was under the impression that the magazine being non removeable (welded in) was for shotguns with a box magazine rather that fixed mag guns but I could be wrong.

If I was so inclined I could remove the crimp in my guns mag in a few minutes so it is all down to trust really.   

Unless I’m mistaken, that is the reason the mag’ is cut also, during the crimping process.  If the crimp is forced out it opens the cut and renders the mag’ unusable. 

On 29/11/2019 at 18:09, impala59 said:

the two tier shotgun rules make nothing or nobody safer, one shot is just as dangerous as five or three or ten. What we have is a system of political bias and dare I say corruption, media led hysteria and lobbying by activists for their own agendas, piggybacking on terrible events. The shooting public have been let down by their own organisations who have been negligent in the discharge of their responsibilities and have in some cases actually condemned other’s sports or disciplines with a misguided view that it would make their own sport look better. 

An absolutely correct summation IMO.