Confused Dog

Grandalf

My Labrador got very confused last night.   He is three years old and is with me just about always.   We pick up, stalk, fox, shoot pigeons and wildfowl together.    He will retrieve foxes.  

A couple of days ago a farmer friend phoned me to say that a fox had killed one of his geese.   These free range birds live on the moat around his house.   Told him to leave the carcass where it was and that I would be there that night.   Noodle and I attended the scene and, after a fairly long sit out in the landrover, shot one vixen on the same field as the goose carcass but about fifty yards away from it.   Job done, or so I thought.   I left the fox by my friends barn and went home.

Next day my friend phoned to say the goose carcass had been moved and chewed again.   Told him as before - keep clear and leave it where it is.

That night off goes Noodle and me again and as soon as we arrived, about 8pm, I see another fox chewing away at the carcass.   Shoot the fox and then waited about three hours to see if another one would put in an appearance.   It didn't so I decided to pick up the fox and go home to bed.   I let Noodle out of the truck and sent him off down the torch beam.   When he gets on scene he is confronted with one dead goose and one dead fox lying side by side.   He just stood and looked at the two bodies and then at me over and over again.

You could almost hear the words - How the hell did you do that with just one shot?

After studying the scene for a few minutes - I just stood and watched him - He lifted the goose and bought it back to me.

He now treats me with greater respect. 

11 hours ago, Grandalf said:

My Labrador got very confused last night.   He is three years old and is with me just about always.   We pick up, stalk, fox, shoot pigeons and wildfowl together.    He will retrieve foxes.  

A couple of days ago a farmer friend phoned me to say that a fox had killed one of his geese.   These free range birds live on the moat around his house.   Told him to leave the carcass where it was and that I would be there that night.   Noodle and I attended the scene and, after a fairly long sit out in the landrover, shot one vixen on the same field as the goose carcass but about fifty yards away from it.   Job done, or so I thought.   I left the fox by my friends barn and went home.

Next day my friend phoned to say the goose carcass had been moved and chewed again.   Told him as before - keep clear and leave it where it is.

That night off goes Noodle and me again and as soon as we arrived, about 8pm, I see another fox chewing away at the carcass.   Shoot the fox and then waited about three hours to see if another one would put in an appearance.   It didn't so I decided to pick up the fox and go home to bed.   I let Noodle out of the truck and sent him off down the torch beam.   When he gets on scene he is confronted with one dead goose and one dead fox lying side by side.   He just stood and looked at the two bodies and then at me over and over again.

You could almost hear the words - How the hell did you do that with just one shot?

After studying the scene for a few minutes - I just stood and watched him - He lifted the goose and bought it back to me.

He now treats me with greater respect. 

😂😂 that’s brilliant, made me laugh!

• 3 weeks later...