Westley Richards 916

keeper96

Evening all, 

ive been to look at one of the above guns and I’m tempted to buy it, 

I can’t find any obvious issues, the barrels ring, wood to metal fit is good, no chewed screws etc. Clean bores and a reasonable fit, but would benefit from a small extension. 

it’s a Boxlock non ejector and I can get it for £370

does this sound reasonable?

5 hours ago, keeper96 said:

Evening all, 

ive been to look at one of the above guns and I’m tempted to buy it, 

I can’t find any obvious issues, the barrels ring, wood to metal fit is good, no chewed screws etc. Clean bores and a reasonable fit, but would benefit from a small extension. 

it’s a Boxlock non ejector and I can get it for £370

does this sound reasonable?

Boxlock non ejector today are  at rock bottom prices   on English made guns  they can be bought for  around the £100   only the top makers hold their price 

Feltwad

48 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Boxlock non ejector today are  at rock bottom prices   on English made guns  they can be bought for  around the £100   only the top makers hold their price 

Feltwad

People need to let me know where these unicorns are! 
move been looking for about 2 months and there’s nothing of any note for that sort of money in my area 

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

Try Wabbitbosher on here.

He is good it has to be said and if you want it easy not do any hunting around or research to locate a gun, he is the answer. , but on the finding them yourself  front. Look on auctions. Look online or ring around asking the various auctioneers. they are there.

Some gunshops have older guns in the back they might sell, but this these days is increasingly rare. Guntrader gundeals etc plenty listed but ask a premium on there still some bargains. but auctions look them out thats where you can turn up a good buy, especialy if its unloved non ejector or less than predestine.

Would agree with above.Sadly s/side N/Ej guns are almost in the` free to good home` category now unless they are exceptional in some respect or other.

I`ve seen plenty around for next to no £££ in the last year,some really good guns amongst them too.

Can certainly recommend Wabbitbosher as an excellent member to deal with too!

Edited by matone

5 hours ago, keeper96 said:

People need to let me know where these unicorns are! 
move been looking for about 2 months and there’s nothing of any note for that sort of money in my area 

If you live any ware near the North-East what out for the local auctions  to pick up a good sxs box lock  Ryedale auctions is a good bet .I have seen racks of them in local gun shops

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

Last time i was at rydale there were 70 - 80 lots,  every single gun nearly had a handful of faults which were not reflected in the bidding. I would not recommend buying a gun at auction if you don't have the knowledge to properly appraise them - Next sale is the 8th December - which i don't think i can make.

5 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

Last time i was at rydale there were 70 - 80 lots,  every single gun nearly had a handful of faults which were not reflected in the bidding. I would not recommend buying a gun at auction if you don't have the knowledge to properly appraise them - Next sale is the 8th December - which i don't think i can make.

That’s why I’m wary of auctions as the majority are to far away to travel to with the risk of coming back empty handed, and I will not buy sight unseen. 

ryedake is only a 90 min drive so I think ill have a drive down and I know enough to pick up most faults so feel fairly safe about it....

I'd take with you a wall thickness gauge and a shotgun bore micrometer. I wouldn't trust whoever catalogued the last load, unfortunately im away this weekend or i could meet you there with tools and run through the catalogue though last time it was largely a wasted effort. - Last time nearly every gun had sprung ribs, damaged barrels, bulges, or were out of proof, plenty of guns were listed as 16 bores or 20 bores and turned out to be other sizes completely. There appear to be some okay looking boxlock ejectors in this time around - everything else i would steer clear of.

2 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

I'd take with you a wall thickness gauge and a shotgun bore micrometer. I wouldn't trust whoever catalogued the last load, unfortunately im away this weekend or i could meet you there with tools and run through the catalogue though last time it was largely a wasted effort. - Last time nearly every gun had sprung ribs, damaged barrels, bulges, or were out of proof, plenty of guns were listed as 16 bores or 20 bores and turned out to be other sizes completely. There appear to be some okay looking boxlock ejectors in this time around - everything else i would steer clear of.

After looking at the catalogue there’s nothing there that really takes my fancy anyway but thanks for the offer!

3 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

Just had a quick look,plainly visible sleeved barrels, yet no mention of this in description.

22 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

Well in the end I’ve picked up a nice army and navy Boxlock non ejector from halls, paid £140 all in and I’m very pleased! 
It’s a tad short but I’ve a nice block of ebony looking for a good home in the garage!

pics to follow once I’m home 

hello, sounds good keeper 96, i am sure you can find more info on this with the serial numbers,  good luck

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

16 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, sounds good keeper 96, i am sure you can find more info on this with the serial numbers,  good luck

Army & Navy records held by the University of Glasgow, so Keeper 96 should be able to source details of his gun there.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Army & Navy records held by the University of Glasgow, so Keeper 96 should be able to source details of his gun there.

OB

hello, my Army and Navy boxlock ejector on the same style as a Churchill XXV was made for an Army officer, another one i should have kept me thinks

5 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

You are correct it cost £40 for them to research your gun you will find out , who made it mine is a Midland,  who it was sold to when it was sold and the purchase price. Enjoy here’s mine 

08E91E08-1D38-485D-AD6A-794BBB052900.jpeg