Lots of pinks (inland)

henry d

Just been out n about and heard a few 00 pinks, so I stopped to watch them for a while. Then there were a few more 00 coming to join them, and then some more...

Must have seen in excess of 2000 geese in skeins of 1-200 all heading towards the same direction but were coming from different directions, so there must be a good bit of feeding somewhere north of where I was watching them, happy days if someone gets under them.

I think these have recently arrived or have been shot hard somewhere as there were some passing my house going south when I went for a walk after lunch and they did not like it when a small plane from the local airport circled in front of them and they temporarily scattered.

Geese will feed where there is good food to be had and no disturbance, and that may change day to day, hour by hour.

With fresh beet fields being lifted on a daily basis the geese will virtually follow the harvester about , this year the ground is so wet that if they manage to get the beet off the field it will be left water logged , this is like a five star hotel for the geese , fresh beet tops and they can wash and preen at the same time .

Yesterday , when I came past an old lifted beet field that had been drilled with wheat there was a large pool of water no more than twenty yards from the main road that lead into my village and there must have been about forty Pinks eating away with not a care in the world , cars were going past and the odd person on a bike and they just kept eating away , funny how they know they are safe :hmm: 

48 minutes ago, marsh man said:

With fresh beet fields being lifted on a daily basis the geese will virtually follow the harvester about , this year the ground is so wet that if they manage to get the beet off the field it will be left water logged , this is like a five star hotel for the geese , fresh beet tops and they can wash and preen at the same time .

Yesterday , when I came past an old lifted beet field that had been drilled with wheat there was a large pool of water no more than twenty yards from the main road that lead into my village and there must have been about forty Pinks eating away with not a care in the world , cars were going past and the odd person on a bike and they just kept eating away , funny how they know they are safe :hmm: 

Amazing birds how they evade you on the shore , but sit in a field next your house with people banging nails in and kids playing on a Sunday!!

It's like russian roulette at the moment they  get kicked off,  or strip that many fields and they move on , then fly out a different way every morning off the shore .

Never heard a goose move on the last moon , but they came in this week because the weather was bad and the tides high around 10pm .

On 27/11/2019 at 22:58, motty said:

Pinks can move a hell of a lot during a day. They will often feed on a few different fields in a day. They do not necessarily need to be forced to move, either.

True, but having lived/worked/shot this area for nearly 30 years it seemed unusual, however yesterday they were heading toward the same direction, from the same direction and this morning the same. I`m just hoping it is a good feeding area and not someone feeding them in the greylags are dropping close by but the pinks are passing high up and I`ve not seen them drop in yet but may take a drive about tomorrow after the gym and see if I can spot them.

I tried to film them yesterday but had a nightmare with the camera, but got a still of one small skein...

IMG_1107.JPG.8c3329a3d90f72c35c089b01baf871e1.JPG

6 hours ago, henry d said:

True, but having lived/worked/shot this area for nearly 30 years it seemed unusual, however yesterday they were heading toward the same direction, from the same direction and this morning the same. I`m just hoping it is a good feeding area and not someone feeding them in the greylags are dropping close by but the pinks are passing high up and I`ve not seen them drop in yet but may take a drive about tomorrow after the gym and see if I can spot them.

I tried to film them yesterday but had a nightmare with the camera, but got a still of one small skein...

IMG_1107.JPG.8c3329a3d90f72c35c089b01baf871e1.JPG

They look well and truly on for the extreme long rangers we have been reading about over the last week or so :lol:

had a quick look this morning, on the river not usual to get any pinks there, but they were roosting on a flooded stretch between the river and the flood bank .

First time i ever seen them do that there. I was wrong end they were too high where i wads but, the other end 500 went out low they were not 20 yards up.

Oh well i enjoyed every moment got a  widgeon on the way off so at least i did not fail completely.

These frosts are upping widgeon activity i could have shot my 6 limit i think but let them go as waiting for the geese to move. Great morning really enjoyed it.  Scotland tomorrow makes me wonder why i am going. :lol:

Going further up henry i will be setting off tomorrow night doing a morning flight in the Borders region, breakfast with a mate and make my way up through Monday and up to my favourite little widgeon shooting bay by late afternoon.after flight to my uncles place. i have an eldis tornado Tourer under one of his sheds set up for me and my Labrador. shower and  mikuni diesel heater

Turn my phone off just check in every night at SWMBO & CO. .. back at work 6pm Monday 16th . Bliss.

11 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Going further up henry i will be setting off tomorrow night doing a morning flight in the Borders region, breakfast with a mate and make my way up through Monday and up to my favourite little widgeon shooting bay by late afternoon.after flight to my uncles place. i have an eldis tornado Tourer under one of his sheds set up for me and my Labrador. shower and  mikuni diesel heater

Turn my phone off just check in every night at SWMBO & CO. .. back at work 6pm Monday 16th . Bliss.

Apart from your last sentence ( back at work 6pm on Monday the 16th ) the rest of it sound like my number one ideal vacation , now the weather have turned a bit more seasonable I hope it is in your favour , GOOD LUCK and keep us informed :good:

12 hours ago, panoma1 said:

M******* B**? 

No but i do usually organise for me to go in there i like it . Will be on A********* *** that evening.

54 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Apart from your last sentence ( back at work 6pm on Monday the 16th ) the rest of it sound like my number one ideal vacation , now the weather have turned a bit more seasonable I hope it is in your favour , GOOD LUCK and keep us informed :good:

Not sure where i will go First thing Tuesday Thinking C***** ******* *** but another closer to Nairn might be a go depends how i feel, i got some local intel via mate up there and Nephew but ill work it out i know my way around  up there been going up most of my life  from  a small boy with my dad he was born lived just west of   Beauly until he was 21.

I have a few little inlets in mind up there i  for latter this week mostly greys and ducks, not had a pintail since late last season so that would be goal for me. One thing is for sure nothing i take will be coming into any fields and i am only taking four duck decoys and no goose decoys. Think you get the picture. Taking one gun  Remington SP10  .720 Terror and just steel loads  all Winchester cases &  RSI wads .A 381 BBB and PSB2  2s.

Edited by lancer425

39 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

No but i do usually organise for me to go in there i like it . Will be on A********* *** that evening.

Not sure where i will go First thing Tuesday Thinking C***** ******* *** but another closer to Nairn might be a go depends how i feel, i got some local intel via mate up there and Nephew but ill work it out i know my way around  up there been going up most of my life  from  a small boy with my dad he was born lived just west of   Beauly until he was 21.

I have a few little inlets in mind up there i  for latter this week mostly greys and ducks, not had a pintail since late last season so that would be goal for me. One thing is for sure nothing i take will be coming into any fields and i am only taking four duck decoys and no goose decoys. Think you get the picture. Taking one gun  Remington SP10  .720 Terror and just steel loads  all Winchester cases &  RSI wads .A 381 BBB and PSB2  2s.

Sounds great!

Apparently there should  be a nice windy spell mid-week 👍

Good luck!