Where do I find the legal answer to this?

Shearwater

2 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

unless its changed the law on bunnies is,,if you take them on land legally they are vermin/pests,but if you take them illegally ie,by poaching/trespass etc they then become classed as game and you will prosecuted accordingly.

This is how I understand it to be, it certainly was when I was a lad a long time ago.

With regard to shooting a pheasant on 'your land' which then falls dead or injured on someone else's land it then becomes their property.

I have always believed that you would have to have their agreement for you to claim and retrieve it.

Just the same as if you released birds on your land they belong to you but if they wander onto someone else's land they then become their property.

Edited by Good shot?

There is also the humane side of things. . . . Like probably everyone I prefer a clean kill, yet some are winged/pricked and there need to be dispatched asap and I hate it if delayed or worse; can't be found after the drive...…I understand laws can't be made with peoples feelings in mind and can only be based on facts but it would be nice if the law allowed a trained dog to enter and retrieve a bird without causing an almighty fuss