Age/proofing

Centrepin

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Miroku model 3800.

Letters in serial number PY, according to some posts dating back to 2008 (I actually searched before posting) it comes up as being proofed in 1982.

Does this mean it's an 82 gun or just proofed in 82 and older?🤔

I would say proofed and stamped in 82 when new

4 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

82 gun . mirokus and brownings are the best. call me biased because i am where they are concerned.

The 3 people I trust most to advise me, my son, my brother in law and my RFD, all said go for Miroku/Browning or Winchester. I was looking at a Berreta but came across a fabulous Miroku 3800 grade 1 with full set of Teague chokes (that I know nothing about) it's on loan, 72 hours, and I'm out from 0800 till I'm too cold tomorrow to try it. Chokes set at 1/4, 1/4 to try as I usually shoot 1/2 and full.

2 slabs 🤔🙄😁 just in case🙈

Nothing handles like Browning /  miroku for me, just seem to get on with them.

Nothing wrong with winchesters as you say, good had a 101 waterfowl years with the stupid win chokes in it. some winchesters are made by anyone from laurona huglu in turkey to italian sabati and nikko /singer / miroku . the real 101s were nice gun but forends did start to split and play up on ejectors some time. had the shake crack in the forend on 2 a 2 3/4 inch game and the waterfowl. Both roughly same place , a shame but this put me off those 101s for life.

Edited by lancer425

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Nothing handles like Browning /  miroku for me, just seem to get on with them.

Nothing wrong with winchesters as you say, good had a 101 waterfowl years with the stupid win chokes in it. some winchesters are made by anyone from laurona huglu in turkey to italian sabati and nikko /singer / miroku . the real 101s were nice gun but forends did start to split and play up on ejectors some time. had the shake crack in the forend on 2 a 2 3/4 inch game and the waterfowl. Both roughly same place , a shame but this put me off those 101s for life.

I just learnt Browning took over Winchester, maybe old news to some but I didn't know. B in law is looking for a new Browning as he's a confirmed Browning man and runs a local shoot. We both arrived in the dealers a couple of minutes apart looking for similar, only he wants new, new.

I'm lucky I have a good RFD he spent over 2 hours sorting out the right gun, checking and fitting it for me as far as he can go without seeing me fire. Gave me a pack of snap caps to practice and 72 hrs to shoot and make up my mind. No charge.

Told me my stance is wrong, corrected it,(50 years a rifle shot) and what do you know suddenly my mount is better. Had me practising in the gun room till he was happy, made an adjustment and it feels right now. I kept wanting to extend the butt of everything else I've fired. Now to put some lead in the air and see if I'm better than my SBS.

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I just learnt Browning took over Winchester, maybe old news to some but I didn't know. B in law is looking for a new Browning as he's a confirmed Browning man and runs a local shoot. We both arrived in the dealers a couple of minutes apart looking for similar, only he wants new, new.

I'm lucky I have a good RFD he spent over 2 hours sorting out the right gun, checking and fitting it for me as far as he can go without seeing me fire. Gave me a pack of snap caps to practice and 72 hrs to shoot and make up my mind. No charge.

Told me my stance is wrong, corrected it,(50 years a rifle shot) and what do you know suddenly my mount is better. Had me practising in the gun room till he was happy, made an adjustment and it feels right now. I kept wanting to extend the butt of everything else I've fired. Now to put some lead in the air and see if I'm better than my SBS.

Sure you will love it.

For the record Browning doesn't own Winchester. Today, both the Browning brand and the Winchester shotgun business brand are owned by the Herstal Group in Belgium. They also own FN and have a big holding in Miroku as well as various other brands and some Turkish makers. Winchester brand ammunition and merchandise is owned by the Olin Corp in America.

The original Win 101 was built in Japan under a joint venture between Olin & Kodensha. Kodensha also sold the same gun in the same markets under the Nikko name.  Rumour has it the Nikkos were better built and had better woodwork causing friction with Olin. After a few years they fell out out and Olin walked away. Kodensha carried on producing Nikkos but didn't survive too long after that. Herstal eventually acquired the rights to restart Winchester shotgun production, basing it in Belgium but (I think) sourcing some parts from their Turkish subsidiaries. The modern Winchesters are fairly decent guns for the money but don't have the cachet of the original 101s and certainly aren't up with Miroku, Browning, Beretta etc.