BBC Impartiality

wymberley

Worth a read.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noble-Liar-Distorts-Promote-Liberal/dp/1785903497/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=noble+liar&qid=1575035115&sr=8-1

(other vendors are available).

To some, it is the voice of the nation, yet to others it has never been clearer that the BBC is in the grip of an ideology that prevents it reporting fairly on the world. Many have been scandalised by its pessimism on Brexit and its one-sided presentation of the Trump presidency, whilst simultaneously amused by its outrage over 'fake news'.

Robin Aitken, who himself spent twenty-five years working for the BBC as a reporter and executive, argues that the Corporation needs to be reminded that what is 'fake' rather depends on where one is standing. From where his feet are planted, the BBC's own coverage of events often looks decidedly peculiar, peppered with distortions, omissions and amplifications tailored to its own liberal agenda.

This punchy polemic from the author of Can We Trust the BBC? galvanises the debate over how our licence-fee money is spent, and asks whether the BBC is a fair arbiter of the news, or whether it is a conduit for pervasive and institutional liberal left-wing bias

Unquote

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

But no one is claiming they are impartial Henry, except the BBC that is. It’s part of their charter. 

Again no one can be so we have ofcom to complain to if they do not adhere to their rues of due impartiality and accuracy. If you think they are not then the OP (and others) should complain as much as they like to ofcom rather than bump gums here?

I am tempted to go through all topics on "Off Topic" to see whether all posters have made a complaint to the relevant body, before posting on here.

Then again, I might save myself the trouble, as I suspect that number would be few. The need to report matters might stifle debate on here, down the pub or anywhere else.

Have you complained henry d?

wymberley - you beat me to it. 😀

Edited by Gordon R

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Again no one can be so we have ofcom to complain to if they do not adhere to their rues of due impartiality and accuracy. If you think they are not then the OP (and others) should complain as much as they like to ofcom rather than bump gums here?

I’m not complaining Henry, ( I know the BBC aren’t impartial but don’t care ) merely pointing out no one has claimed they themselves are impartial, but that the BBC has, as part of their charter. 

38 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No good moaning on here, why not have a word with the BEIC.

🙂👍

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

No good moaning on here, why not have a word with the BEIC.

I don't eat them, just surprised, is £1-19 the going price for 1/2 a doz?

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Have you complained henry d? 

Not yet, is there a complaints department in the Right Royal Order of Gammons?

And why can't we have a moan on here about the Beeb?  It is, after all, off-topic?

I suspect those complaining are unlikely to get anything but the BBC's stock, corporate response. 

Doesn't affect me as I neither watch the BBC nor have a Facebook account.  I gave up on the former's (television) news output because they were second only to Channel 4 in their blatant, obvious bias.

All this is not to say people shouldn't complain; as a nation we are pre-disposed to taking things on the chin and just getting on with it, rather than kicking up a stink.  It's just that I would put my energies elsewhere than the BBC, they are seemingly determined to become a complete irrelevance to a large percentage of the population.

'Broadcast Television' is not something the current generation of teenagers either know much or care about.  I personally doubt the BBC will survive their next charter renewal, due in 2027, unscathed.

5 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I have complained to the BBC ans found the entire process a complete waste of time. The responses were either deliberately obstructive or written by someone who would have failed an "O" level English comprehension test as they were unable/unwilling to answer simple questions.

This and that is if you actually get an answer

Edited by Yellow Bear

20 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I have complained to the BBC ans found the entire process a complete waste of time. The responses were either deliberately obstructive or written by someone who would have failed an "O" level English comprehension test as they were unable/unwilling to answer simple questions.

I have also, on more than one ocassion, but not about their lack of impartiality. I never received a response at any time. 
It would seem certain Government departments don’t like inquisitive or critical enquiries either; am still awaiting responses to an email I fired off in regard to another thread a couple of weeks ago. 🤔

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

If you want really biased reporting listen to James O'Brian on LBC. I really don't know how they allow him to get away with half the stuff he says because it just plain one sided biased claptrap.

I thought broadcasters had a legal responsibility to be even handed but apparently not

Did you complain to LBC, OFCOM? 

11 hours ago, Vince Green said:

If you want really biased reporting listen to James O'Brian on LBC. I really don't know how they allow him to get away with half the stuff he says because it just plain one sided biased claptrap.

I thought broadcasters had a legal responsibility to be even handed but apparently not

No, only the BBC have a self acclaimed responsibility to impartiality, as far as I’m aware. LBC is just a radio show, it’s presenters can and do express where their loyalties and interests lie.