Emergency vehicle sirens

Doc Holliday

For some time now I have found ambulance sirens to be at a level which hurts my ears and have had to cover them whenever I hear an ambulance coming. Arriving at the office this morning, one came screaming past and, as I had both hands full, was unable to get inside or cover my ears. I don't mind saying that I found it unbearable, to the point where I had to turn my head and cuss as it passed. Since then, a number of police vehicles and ambulances have passed and there is most definitely a very discernible difference in loudness between the 2 (no fire engines have passed as yet). Has anyone else noticed this and does it hurt/affect your hearing? 

I appreciate that they are doing an invaluable service but if the police vehicles can have theirs at a tolerable level then why can't the ambulances also? 

For the record, I do have quite sensitive hearing and even ultrasound equipment needs to be on its lowest setting whenever I see my sports therapist. 

Yes they are loud and lots of pedestrians have similar reactions to you. Unfortunately people in cars still don’t hear or see us. Wether that’s due to people driving with headphones in (my pet hate), or cars are sound insulated better these days I don’t know. 
the lights are also too bright, it’s distracting to drive, let alone be driven towards. The newer vehicles in our fleet have now got a dimming function for the lights, but that’s new. 

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

It might be due to the height of the siren above the ground rather than the loudness?

Ambulance are definitely louder, we do school fetes in the summer and often park next to police cars. The kids love our sirens as they are the loud ones. The water fairies don’t usually turn up so can’t compare to them.

45 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

Ambulance are definitely louder, we do school fetes in the summer and often park next to police cars. The kids love our sirens as they are the loud ones. The water fairies don’t usually turn up so can’t compare to them.

Far too busy saving people, obvs!

6 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I've find the lights worse, like you, I appreciate they are doing an important job but in the dark I find the intensity of the lights blinding. Not an issue with my eyesight as I know its 20/20.

Evrything thease days seem to have  a 100 super bright led lights attatched

5 hours ago, Ozz said:

Evrything thease days seem to have  a 100 super bright led lights attatched

Ive lost count of the amount of times  on dark on unlit roads I've had to blink hard after sonething has passed. 

Always makes me think ill end up sticking the car in a ditch and they'll be coming back for me 😂

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

Is it not the point for the siren to be loud and the lights bright and easy to see? 

Unfortunately in London even with the blues and two's going you cannot get out of the way for emergency services there is just no room to pull over. 

Nail on head moment!

When I drove on blues and two's we wanted everyone in front to hear and see us and get the hell out of the way whether in/on vehicles or foot.

I agree I live just off a ambulance route to a hospital. Sometimes whilst walking the dogs you hear them coming from far as they pass it the dogs startle and the pitch of the siren seems to meet between your ears and resonate for a second.

I do however like the fire engines sirens, they go through a full range of noises. You can't mistake them for any other emergency vehicles.

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

I agree I live just off a ambulance route to a hospital. Sometimes whilst walking the dogs you hear them coming from far as they pass it the dogs startle and the pitch of the siren seems to meet between your ears and resonate for a second.

I do however like the fire engines sirens, they go through a full range of noises. You can't mistake them for any other emergency vehicles.

We had three settings, two tone,Yelp and wail. I think the idea was you changed the siren from one to the other when approaching a junction. Or as sometimes in my case I’d change between all three and try a play a tune.

Fire engine went past me on Saturday and definitely not as loud as ambulance sirens. 

With reference to getting out of the way, I remember this was covered in old Jezza Vine's show some time back as some people received a fine for going in to the bus lane to make way for the emergency vehicle(s). The upshot was that drivers should stay put and let the emergency vehicles go around them. 

Personally, I make a judgement call as to whether it best serves the approaching emergency vehicle as to whether I pull over or stay put. 

A major chunk of blue light driving training is about the blue light driver  positioning or driving the vehicle in a way to get drivers in front to do what you want them to do.  Doesn’t always work and sometimes the reactions of drivers to the blue lights is quite astounding.

2 hours ago, Jonty said:

A major chunk of blue light driving training is about the blue light driver  positioning or driving the vehicle in a way to get drivers in front to do what you want them to do.  Doesn’t always work and sometimes the reactions of drivers to the blue lights is quite astounding.

Absolutely, but as a blue light driver it’s almost possible to predict what drivers are going to do before the driver has even thought about it. They always swerve towards the kerb and brake if on an A road as soon as they see you, then invariably slow down and come to a complete stop opposite an oncoming car! 

2 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Absolutely, but as a blue light driver it’s almost possible to predict what drivers are going to do before the driver has even thought about it. They always swerve towards the kerb and brake if on an A road as soon as they see you, then invariably slow down and come to a complete stop opposite an oncoming car! 

I agree, it really gives an insight into what people are hopefully going to do.  It’s the curve ball ‘hang on whilst I crawl down this road and get reverse parked’ that leave me hand on face!