FX new slugs

villaman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, figgy said:

I've just watched a video by Utah Airguns. The slugs seem to shoot very well. Shooting out to 190 yards.

The .177 sound promising in sub12, if they made a light .22 that could ok too. Iirc H&N do a 19 grain.

If they make the .177 light enough for a sub 12 that would be a great start. Hoping no heavier than 10 or 11 grains though. As justin stated in his video slugs need more energy ckmpared to pellets due to the friction in the barrel. Ive got a silly feeling that the .177 cal version will still be too heave for sub 12 as these slugs all seem to be desigmed for usa market / higher power outputs

Well in the video that i watched (but apparently didnt need to cos villa man has all the answers to questions not asked ) 

He shoots an fx streamline with standard  st pellet  barrel .he usually shoots 18 grn jsb s at 30 fpe or 870 fps .

He says in the vid he made no adjustments to the gun and the 22 grn hybrids were shooting around 790 fps which is 30 fpe  .

So i guess these hybrid slugs (in .22 at least  )dont seam to rob any muzzle  energy .

Which is great .

So a 10 grn .177 would be fantastic at sub 12 .giving the same trajectory as a 8.4 grn jsb (at 770 fps) and more velocity past 30 yds and much more retained energy  .

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Well in the video that i watched (but apparently didnt need to cos villa man has all the answers to questions not asked ) 

He shoots an fx streamline with standard  st pellet  barrel .he usually shoots 18 grn jsb s at 30 fpe or 870 fps .

He says in the vid he made no adjustments to the gun and the 22 grn hybrids were shooting around 790 fps which is 30 fpe  .

So i guess these hybrid slugs (in .22 at least  )dont seam to rob any muzzle  energy .

Which is great .

So a 10 grn .177 would be fantastic at sub 12 .giving the same trajectory as a 8.4 grn jsb (at 770 fps) and more velocity past 30 yds and much more retained energy  .

If they do a 10 grain... just have a feeling they will be heavier. They dont mention .177 will be comming. They say there not looking at it at the minute however on one of the cardboard outer packaging tge purple colour is .177 🤨

Not many would buy the .177 slugs apart from in some European countries with power limits. France has a bit more power than us so .177 will be running at higher speed than us.

The biggest sellers will be .25 in USA with .30 second. 

Rest of the world will be a mix of .22 and .25 I think. 

If they made a 18 or 19 grain I'd still try the slugs even in .22 sub12 just to see how they do. Slower for sure but at distance they should be more effective than pellets. The shape alone will open out even at our power limits.

Anyone with fac will have some options.

Edited by figgy

Im a bit suprised that the .22 hybrid is 22 grains  .

As the .25 cal version is 26 grns only 1 grain heavier than a jsb king (standard pellet for fac .25 guns ) 

These pellets  have a hollow core so keeping the weight down should be relatively  easy .

Maybe they will bring out a lighter (18 grns ish ) .22 and a heavier .25 of around 30 grns  .

But the whole point of these hybrids is to have pellet like speeds (and air consumption ) but with a slug like bc  .

The lighter weight making them stop fast and expand prividing excellent killing ability (also safer on unintentional targets ) 

Arron time to buy a FX with interchangeable barrels.

Ultrastu if you have a look on the ratsniper website they list all the slugs sizes and weights. The FX hybrids are listed, iirc they were more weights to come in future.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Arron time to buy a FX with interchangeable barrels.

Ultrastu if you have a look on the ratsniper website they list all the slugs sizes and weights. The FX hybrids are listed, iirc they were more weights to come in future.

True but the a sub 12 .22 22grain is going to be slower than the .177 hybrid lol sub 12. Do they do a .177 hybrid dlug then or soon maybe

Looking at the image on the first page.

The red is 22 .yellow .25  blue .30 

And green .35 cal .

It looks like the. 30 cal is 39.5 grns and the .35 cal looks like 49.3 grns ( to my eyes ? 

Which is very light for both slugs compared even to a standard jsb pellet at 50 grns and 81 grns respectively..

I guess if the .25 cal is 26 grns compared to a 25grn jsb and the .22 is 22 grns compared to a 16 grn jsb .

Then the slug design has something to do with wall thickness and a minimum thinkness required for it to work ./be made ..

Which extrapolating the trend down wards the .177 would be very heavy for its cal .or not have enough cavity inside to be effective on expansion or work with the barrel .

Probably around 15 / 17 grns 

Which might be ok for fac but rather useless for sub 12. (Personally id feel 15 grns too heavy for fac work in .177 ) 

Well thats good news .

I guess he knows whats likely to be achived. And if they do work well at 10 grns it will be a complete game changer for all sub 12 .177 pcps .Id predict a bc of around 0.05 as opposed to a jsb exact of 0.021 ish  Which will make for a massive jump in performance .

For hunters and ft boys alike