FX new slugs

villaman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a slug maker in uk . pro hunter 

but can’t get them to work in my fx guns , not just me , but others around the country I have spoken too 

plus about £25-30 per 100 compared to £11 per tin of 200 delivered to your door from Germany for H&N slugs

Edited by villaman

Matt Dubber has just put a video up of him shooting the new FX Hybrid slugs.

Some good info from the field shooting them.

25 m zero and oy 2.3 mils holdover at 100 m he is shooting them at 980 FPS

68.whiskey also have a video of them shooting the Hybrid slugs to good effect.

Don't need perfect shot placement with the expansion, it rips them apart.

Edited by figgy

I've been on airgun 101 Giles WebTV channel a few times after he launched it. Only thing is I watch most videos on YouTube app on my smart TV. Now figured out how to web channels/websites in the web browser on it.

Ultrastu if you go on it you could have told us about all the FX slug videos 😁

Edited by figgy

Found the other slug manufacturer I mentioned earlier, avs he's a one man band selling on eBay.

Stu not having a dig mate, was to tongue in cheek.

Soon as the .22 become available I'll try some to see what speed and accuracy or lack of.

.177 should be better suited to our guns and power.

• 1 month later...

Don't get it - why would the slug expand more than a conventional pellet - looking at the sectional pic why would it not fold inwards? + Being heavier at the back (I presume) then a larger wound would only be achieved by the projectile "tumbling" - not likely in sub 12 and debatable at all in .177 where the diameter and OAL are similar? I smell yet more fairy dust and powdered Unicorn horn. Until I see absolute proof I'm sticking with JSB/AA - few complaints from vermin in the real world. 

The weight at the back continues to drive forward ,the rear of the pellet on impact and causes the mushroom effect .

The side walls cant fold inwards only out wards (basic physics .think of the roof of  the pantheon  in Rome ) 

A Diablo pellet doesnt expand in the same way .because all the lead of the head is connected in the centre and the skirt has little mass  to force the head apart  from the rear  .

Basically these hollow slugs are almost completely different to a standard pellet as you can get  .and hence perform in a totally different way  

Traditionally the main  issue with slugs from an airgun has been that they need high velocities for them to be spin stabilised(limited by the expansion rate of compressed air - speed of sound ). And fast twist rates . And also the amount of friction caused in the barrel by a slug reducing velocity further .

These hybrids have gone a long way to sloving some of these issues .combine that with the birth of bull pups  (long barrels ) smooth barrels and efficent regs and air delivery and the slug starts to work (velocity and hence accuracy  follows ) 

Screenshot_20200109-202044.jpg