Best 4x4 for under £5k

Arley

I would say depends on if it's going to be driven off road. If so Suzuki Jimny, if not and the 4x4 is just occasional or odd dirt track Rav4. There's also the Fiat Panda, very cheap.

Of course if they're not going to be a boy/girl racer, look at a Series Land Rover. Looked after they only appreciate in value. On a fixed mileage, say sub 8000 on classic insurance it would cost next to nothing.

Insurance will be the biggest problem or I'd also say for comfort, safety, reliability and loads of space look at a Volvo XC70.

I use a 20 year old 3 door RAV4 for shooting. Permanent 4 wheel drive and goes anywhere. The back seats are permanently folded forward and takes all my shooting gear. Never bothered to take the rear seats out completely. Only had to use the Diff Lock once in some really thick stuff. Has sailed through the last 5 MOTs whilst in my possession.

Well worth a look, but not sure whether the later ones have diff lock. 

OB

13 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Jimny or Yeti

Enjoying my Yeti. Two points: First is you do need to watch your approach/departure angles if you' ve driven a more competent off roader before, and second, go somewhere slippery which has some space so you can get your head around using the accelerator (judiciously) when you start to lose it. Fear not, it works.

11 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Wait for the knockers !!! But you won’t go far wrong with a discovery 2 td5 , yes they can rust out but if looked after there a bargain and one of the best off road ! 

I loved mine, facelift model, threw some real money at it as I wanted it forever. Couldn't get in it following a stroke. That would be a real bargain if you could find it.  Reg ended in BKV. Let em knock them, mine was superb.

Doubt a 21 year old could insure it unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, spurs 14 said:

Wait for the knockers !!! But you won’t go far wrong with a discovery 2 td5 , yes they can rust out but if looked after there a bargain and one of the best off road ! 

I've got one, love it, but it's not big enough for what I need. It's going up for sale soon!

Got a xtrail 2007 2.2d. Without the hassel of changing the road tyres its useless. I really wish i bought a jimny. Or terios. They are both going to be the realistic options otherwise you'll spend 2k on the 4x4, 2k on insurance and £350+ on tax for a under 21yo. Explore the insurance groups vehicles are in and get some quotes online. 

Edited by strimmer_13

Apologies...did not realize the age problem.    Yes, you need to check out one and everyone for the best deal and the best vehicle but even then a decent old Landie might be your best bet.

Not likely to pull any 'totty' unless she's a farmers daughter but not a lot of trouble you can get up to in a Series 2.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Apologies...did not realize the age problem.    Yes, you need to check out one and everyone for the best deal and the best vehicle but even then a decent old Landie might be your best bet.

Not likely to pull any 'totty' unless she's a farmers daughter but not a lot of trouble you can get up to in a Series 2.

That’s the perfect totty to pull! Think of the shooting on the land!