Tungsten shot

Guest cookoff013

On 30/11/2019 at 14:23, Old farrier said:

Ahh but 😊

we’re moving forward with reloding 

the possibilities with the heavy shot tungsten are as yet not fully explored and the distance striking energy and pattern potential could change the way we perceive shotgun performance 

just need a decent non plastic wad to go with it 🙄

Looking very much as though you're right. But let's just put the wads to one side for a moment. And I'm satisfied that I have corrected my earlier error.

The Hull High Pheasant Extreme that we've heard about run at 1450 ft/sec. Hull normally use V2.5 and their graph suggests that this applied here so V0 1550 won't be too far out. Calculations for an 80 yard range agree with theirs and now having deducted  the velocity lost at the threshold and having allowed 0.5ftlbs for that, the remaining velocity  equates to 1.38 inches penetration into soft target gelatin.

There's nothing we can do about the above; you get what you pay for but we can improve things if we roll our own.

Picking an easy MV of 1310 to possibly aid pattern density while still producing the goods regarding energy, The USA 7 TSS gives - with the same criteria as above - a 1.75" penetration which is generally deemed sufficient for your bigger duck and wild pheasant.

If we were to match the load weights at the Hull level, the pattern density would favour the tungsten by 180 and 222 respectively

I have no doubt that the wad situation will be resolved but am not so sure whether or not the biggy -  the cost - will. Having said that, I see one USA supplier has sold out of one of their range.

Thank heaven for 28g of lead 7s and pigeon.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Looking very much as though you're right. But let's just put the wads to one side for a moment. And I'm satisfied that I have corrected my earlier error.

The Hull High Pheasant Extreme that we've heard about run at 1450 ft/sec. Hull normally use V2.5 and their graph suggests that this applied here so V0 1550 won't be too far out. Calculations for an 80 yard range agree with theirs and now having deducted  the velocity lost at the threshold and having allowed 0.5ftlbs for that, the remaining velocity  equates to 1.38 inches penetration into soft target gelatin.

There's nothing we can do about the above; you get what you pay for but we can improve things if we roll our own.

Picking an easy MV of 1310 to possibly aid pattern density while still producing the goods regarding energy, The USA 7 TSS gives - with the same criteria as above - a 1.75" penetration which is generally deemed sufficient for your bigger duck and wild pheasant.

If we were to match the load weights at the Hull level, the pattern density would favour the tungsten by 180 and 222 respectively

I have no doubt that the wad situation will be resolved but am not so sure whether or not the biggy -  the cost - will. Having said that, I see one USA supplier has sold out of one of their range.

Thank heaven for 28g of lead 7s and pigeon.

Thank you for the information 

I appreciate your time and thoughts many thanks 😊 

I probably do things differently first I load a cartridge fire it at a set distance at a plate 

if it doesn’t pattern or kicks like a mule I start again 

then when I get a comfortable cartridge with a decent pattern I go and shoot some stuff with it if it works for me I replicate that load 

as for the cost pigeon and wildfowl are realetivly cheap compared to partridge and pheasant 

I’m enjoying the journey with the cartridge development and like the distance it’s giving me definite kills at I find it easy to set up and range find markers at 60/80 yards taking a lot of guess work out of distance 

the governing factors with any of this is you have to be able to shoot and hit your target 

all the best 

of