Eley VIP Steel 12Ga poor pattern

Welcome to the real world cpt hastings.

And congratulations on at least  trying the pattern of your gun and load.

The box idea its not the way to go , you have to have a close to 8 ft square.

target.

You can do this anyway you can dream up. big heston square bales or two three metre pallets on two lengths of scafold pipe. Anything.

I have been using two 8ft lengths of 4x2 scrap timber wired to a chain link fence line with pallet wood tie wrapped  directly to the chain link just 12inch pieces about 13 ft apart along the top and bottom  and five pieces about half way down . for the join to pin the pattern sheets too.

You can buy CAD printer plotter papper that is 44 inches x 50m for around a tenner posted.

These two wont quite get you to a real 8ft but close enough i use a combination of ex scrap jump lead crocodile clips market stall sheet crocodile clips and some big bulldog clips i found in a skip.( i know i an a scruff the wife is forever telling me)

So you have your rudementary but fit for purposeclose to  8ft ish square frame and two runs of the printer plotter paper in position, you can aerosol paint or felt pen a dot in the middle if you want to try for point of aim x point of impact if you want. .

Measure 40 yards shoot off a rest i like to sit down on a folding garden chair ir a ikea steel stool elbows on car bonet or fence line anything.Rest or suport is how i like to shoot patterns.

Take aim on centre or your dot and shoot just the one pattern.

Go to target and see how you did take a photo of the pattern.

Now i use a old kids plastic hoop i chopped a piece out of and rejoined it with some push fit plumbing fittings i got a rough 30 inch circle.

With a sharpie i draw a circle  in the densist bit of your pattern ignore the dot in this equation.  it helps usually drawing the circle to have  help its hard alone doing this.

Photograph the pattern again take a couple of shots each time is best .

Remember to mark the pattern in a place near the pattern with range gun choke load details and if you count up there and then writh the %age on the same sheet that way you got it all there on picture you can download to your pc if you want.

Before you take any pics it wont help to cross every pellet with a marker pen, this makes the pattern clearer on picture.

Now go back and repeat again. this time you will have to look for all the unmarked pellets try and count them and draw your circle disregarding the first altogether.

count the inner circle and work out the %age again and write this on the paper next to the other info as X2 % . then take another photo.

Now this is as far as i go for initial one gun choke load and range.  (note initial)

You should shoot about 8 pairs like this to truly evaluate anty load choke range shor size etc.

Doing it my way is cutting corners but ok for a start (my opinion yours may vaarry)

Basical this is vthe routine you need to repeat again and again marked and unmarked pelet holes  giving you roughly two pattern sheets for the time /price of one .

Its not perfect but you got pictures its easy to store on phone i pad playbook etc. and no mice get to live and breed in your stack of sheets in the back shed  (been there done that back in the day )

Get a load you like then get a bit more serrious with that load then, and do more repeats get accurate % figures. then move on with chokes another gun for comparison and or load mods if the load is your reload.

OH! one last thing please post up any 80 yard patterns you might do :lol:

Just joshing with you.

46 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Welcome to the real world cpt hastings.

And congratulations on at least  trying the pattern of your gun and load.

The box idea its not the way to go , you have to have a close to 8 ft square.

target.

You can do this anyway you can dream up. big heston square bales or two three metre pallets on two lengths of scafold pipe. Anything.

I have been using two 8ft lengths of 4x2 scrap timber wired to a chain link fence line with pallet wood tie wrapped  directly to the chain link just 12inch pieces about 13 ft apart along the top and bottom  and five pieces about half way down . for the join to pin the pattern sheets too.

You can buy CAD printer plotter papper that is 44 inches x 50m for around a tenner posted.

These two wont quite get you to a real 8ft but close enough i use a combination of ex scrap jump lead crocodile clips market stall sheet crocodile clips and some big bulldog clips i found in a skip.( i know i an a scruff the wife is forever telling me)

So you have your rudementary but fit for purposeclose to  8ft ish square frame and two runs of the printer plotter paper in position, you can aerosol paint or felt pen a dot in the middle if you want to try for point of aim x point of impact if you want. .

Measure 40 yards shoot off a rest i like to sit down on a folding garden chair ir a ikea steel stool elbows on car bonet or fence line anything.Rest or suport is how i like to shoot patterns.

Take aim on centre or your dot and shoot just the one pattern.

Go to target and see how you did take a photo of the pattern.

Now i use a old kids plastic hoop i chopped a piece out of and rejoined it with some push fit plumbing fittings i got a rough 30 inch circle.

With a sharpie i draw a circle  in the densist bit of your pattern ignore the dot in this equation.  it helps usually drawing the circle to have  help its hard alone doing this.

Photograph the pattern again take a couple of shots each time is best .

Remember to mark the pattern in a place near the pattern with range gun choke load details and if you count up there and then writh the %age on the same sheet that way you got it all there on picture you can download to your pc if you want.

Before you take any pics it wont help to cross every pellet with a marker pen, this makes the pattern clearer on picture.

Now go back and repeat again. this time you will have to look for all the unmarked pellets try and count them and draw your circle disregarding the first altogether.

count the inner circle and work out the %age again and write this on the paper next to the other info as X2 % . then take another photo.

Now this is as far as i go for initial one gun choke load and range.  (note initial)

You should shoot about 8 pairs like this to truly evaluate anty load choke range shor size etc.

Doing it my way is cutting corners but ok for a start (my opinion yours may vaarry)

Basical this is vthe routine you need to repeat again and again marked and unmarked pelet holes  giving you roughly two pattern sheets for the time /price of one .

Its not perfect but you got pictures its easy to store on phone i pad playbook etc. and no mice get to live and breed in your stack of sheets in the back shed  (been there done that back in the day )

Get a load you like then get a bit more serrious with that load then, and do more repeats get accurate % figures. then move on with chokes another gun for comparison and or load mods if the load is your reload.

OH! one last thing please post up any 80 yard patterns you might do

Just joshing with you.

No wonder you have no time to do any real shooting with the amount of time you spend on here and shooting at bits of paper!

I'm actually surprised you have time to work! 

54 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

No wonder you have no time to do any real shooting with the amount of time you spend on here and shooting at bits of paper!

I'm actually surprised you have time to work! 

Oh really, :lol: Now that was a complete surprise from you wasn’t it, perhaps if you put a bit of time in did some patterning, you would not make yourself look so ridiculous by making wild statements about consistent clean  80 and 99 yard pheasant kills. as for work not that its any business of yours anyway i can keep one eye on you and one eye on keeping the place running every now and then we get a problem some times i need to get involved but mostly i am just clock watching. And i know i am way inferior to you the amount of money you throw about that is if you do is astronomical. and TIME you must get that from the same shop you buy your 80 yard pheasant killer loads.  :lol:

I took a walk back to the river this afternoon and took a 15k bag with me and took a shot at 45 yards with bit better results. 8 hit the ferret and about 30 hit the bag so that is ok. A lot went low i noticed and a few 5 inch gaps. Cheers mr lancer I will give it a go. Worth doing because I had visions of nice dense cones hurtling out there for some reason lol. But at 35 its toast if i hit it and 45 got fair chance and then its gets sketchy at least with these carts and my shooting 

pattern.jpg.8760f787ab0f65c49547eb48cb9c4bbd.jpg

30 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

I took a walk back to the river this afternoon and took a 15k bag with me and took a shot at 45 yards with bit better results. 8 hit the ferret and about 30 hit the bag so that is ok. A lot went low i noticed and a few 5 inch gaps. Cheers mr lancer I will give it a go. Worth doing because I had visions of nice dense cones hurtling out there for some reason lol. But at 35 its toast if i hit it and 45 got fair chance and then its gets sketchy at least with these carts and my shooting 

Two tests, two entirely different results, which one is correct, or neither? Sorry to say that you've wasted your time. Lancer has suggested one way. Another is to do a search - in inverted commas - "First Attempt at Pattern Testing" which should throw up May 2015 with thanks to Cyrus 1988. The comprehensive 6 shot test is towards the end of the thread. The 5" holes mentioned are valid as it's how patterns were at one time assessed.

Do not mind if Perazzishot pulls his hair out as this is what Hull would have done except they would have used 10 shots.

39 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Your shooting has nothing to do with anything involved here, if you are lacking ability / technique that’s no big problem can sort that latter , you can not get consistent no matter how good you are when the ammo is not consistent or up to the task.

A change of ammo might improve things it might not.

First you need to get a pattern on paper you can work out whats going on, then start altering things until you see improvements.

If you get some paper table cloths on a bale end its a start not 8ft but its easy, i do this sometimes messing with powder charges for detail changes, if i see a trend i look at that aspect further.  Will be better than a food sack which might be adding some confusion even doubt where it might not be waranted.

Wait till someone buys a big telly or fridge  etc .they come rapped in huge cardboard boxes .and use that .

U could ask at your local currys or halfords etc if they have any big card board boxes .

I agree with lancer on the need to pattern your carts. 

You will find a natural limit to any  cart /choke  and its usually around 40 yds .

19 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Oh really, :lol: Now that was a complete surprise from you wasn’t it, perhaps if you put a bit of time in did some patterning, you would not make yourself look so ridiculous by making wild statements about consistent clean  80 and 99 yard pheasant kills. as for work not that its any business of yours anyway i can keep one eye on you and one eye on keeping the place running every now and then we get a problem some times i need to get involved but mostly i am just clock watching. And i know i am way inferior to you the amount of money you throw about that is if you do is astronomical. and TIME you must get that from the same shop you buy your 80 yard pheasant killer loads.  :lol:

🎣🎣🎣🐋🐋:thanks: