Out at Last

pigeon controller

I had a call on Thursday, loads on the rape, when can you come out. I hate to commit to farmers as they often see more birds that are

actually on the field and if you turn up you can view the field and make a decision to shoot or not, If you commit to shoot you are stuck. He did say that if we could not make it he would get another lad to shoot it, so commit I did.

The weather for today was fog and frost the very best weather for pigeon shooting, NOT!!.

We arrived at the field with the sun shining and ten birds down, we watched it for thirty minutes a two birds joined, but commit we had so we set up. Following previous weekends disasters we only had six real bird decoys to set up with. Two on the magnet and four on spikes.

We were all set up for 11.00 then the wind got up and the fog rolled in for the next thirty minutes. Eventually we had a bird decoy and pay the price.

To put it mildly it was a very slow day , we had three game shoots around us sending spooked pigeons over the field which would not decoy but we continued and had a bonus at 15.30 to 16.00 as we were on a flightline to a roost wood with some very high birds.

We ended the day with fortynine pigeons and one crow which kept the Farmer happy and gave us some shooting.

Ive had a number of messages asking how the Tash is going see below:-

100-3457.jpg

fortynine pigeons and one crow
IMG-1619.jpg

four weeks and growing

Not the ideal weather for pigeon shooting but like you say it's good to be out again in cold but dry conditions, we would have found it nigh on impossible to had shot 49 Pigeons today , the day started minus 2 with a sharp frost , the morning improved with a plus 5 then after dinner it started to turn cold again , but at least it stayed dry all day .

It must have been late when you finished by the look of the light in your photo and as far as the tash , like TESCO's slogan , every little helps .:good:

Having walked a fair patch of stubble today, unless the ground is very well drained it may be after Easter !

Very few pigeons seen today out Shropshire way but lots of geese movements all day.  Maybe some potato fields close bye.

It was a cracking day for a change though.

Edited by Walker570

11 hours ago, Fuddster said:

nice result.

as for the 'tash-did collars and cuffs match?

brings back memories of my 'special haircut' on the day on my vasectomy.

asking for a friend who doesn't'  have t'internet....

f.

You can tell your friend that they do not match as my pubic hair is a delicate shade of puce to match my veins!!!!

Thanks for all your comments.