Sporting clays

stuartyboy

I don't consider myself a good shot at clays. I struggle with eye dominance, shooting right handed but left eye dominant. Tried various methods to fix this but now mostly use glasses with a small patch to correct it the best I can. I also don't have the opportunity to practice much.

However I still enjoy shooting clays but was wondering if it's worth getting lessons, even after 20 odd years of shooting.

I was just wondering what percentage of targets folk are hitting when they do a round of sporting clays? I know targets are different at different grounds. I break possibly 60% to 70% of the clays and am reasonably happy with that but there's always a nagging doubt that I could do better. Most of the time I introduce new comers to the sport if I'm shooting so don't really have anyone else to compare it too. 

Not looking to be an Olympic competitor, just if I should be content or should be doing much better.

Have to say, regardless of how good or bad I shoot on a day, still happy to be out. 

Yes, never hurts to brush up on the fundamentals. I have a couple of lessons every year in the summer, on top of keeping my hand in at the clay ground every month or so. You'd be amazed at the little quirks and inconsistencies that creep in (I shoot on my own mostly so have no one to keep an eye on me), and an experienced coach can help you iron them out. 

I don't shoot enough to compete (avg 75=80%), but don't beat yourself up about scores, I'd say you're doing alright. 

I asked a similar question and was recommended a couple of coaches, prices, standards and qualifications vary vastly. You have to sort the wheat from the chaff.

A gentleman who is a member on here seems the best deal, quals, experience, approachability, and value for money. I've spoken to him and having a full day early next year.

Just had a gun fitted by my RFD as well as possible without him seeing me actually fire (no charge as I was buying the gun) he also reccomend I see the same coach as I have bad habits and a left eye trying to take over,  but not dominant.

Yesterday, while shooting a coach was waiting with his clients for the high tower, remarked I shouldn't be hitting what I did because of my bad habits. Pushed my feet into a better position and my shoulders followed. I  hit the same birds easier, quicker and with almost no effort. That guy took the time to help for no charge and no benefit. That's a top guy, I'd book in a heartbeat if I hadn't already committed. 

If that's what a coach can do in a few seconds, then I'm certainly looking forward to a full day. I used to be a good rifle shot in my day and am struggling to cross over.

So for an answer to your question, they see what we don't and have the experience, to put that smile on your face, even when you miss you'll know why and can learn from it.

Get a lesson booked, the cheapest lesson is the price of a decent slab and I guess we can all afford that.

70% is excellent for someone who is not really taking it seriously, the jump to 80% is a pretty hard step and won’t come without dedication, application of the fundamentals and shooting once a week, the next jump to 90% is altogether a different animal. 

I personally think you can do both without over reliance on coaching but agree it is important to be told what the basics are, many can work even that out themselves, in other words it does depend on the individual. 

11 hours ago, bornfree said:

Coaching is beneficial but don't forget the 10,000 hour rule. The more you shoot the better you will be.

The 10,000 rule is a misinterpretation of the research. It's quality of practice that counts, otherwise you'll just be repeating low quality work over and over again. 

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

The 10,000 rule is a misinterpretation of the research. It's quality of practice that counts, otherwise you'll just be repeating low quality work over and over again. 

+1 Agree with this and was told the same when first starting out. If you don’t know what you’re doing wrong you will just be practicing your mistakes. Get the fundamentals right early on with help of a good coach.

10 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Maybe. But the more I shoot the better I get.

The only thing consistent with my shooting is my inconsistency !

a week last Friday 49/100!!!!!!! Sunday 69'and it was peeing it down...friday just gone 54! Same layout each time. After much consideration I reckon it's down to my shot pattern not being in the same place as the Clay at the SAME time!

but. Don't really care as I'm enjoying it.  My mate has been shooting 20 plus years ....I have done almost  3 BUT I have managed to beat him 3 or 4 times and he regularly shoots into the 80s

Thanks for your comments. I'm guessing I'm not too far out from an average shot then which I'm happy with.

The idea of getting lessons was bugging me. I struggle to get time out on the clays due to family and work commitments, and to be honest, didn't really fancy the idea of spending a rare free afternoon paying someone to tell me I'm rubbish at shooting. I get that from my pals.

I will keep practicing myself for the time being and get the enjoyment from that. Suppose if I want to get better scores I could always shoot them in the ground when they land. Don't know if that's cheating though..