Empire Cartridges

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, dodeer said:

7s are available in Impax, Supreme Game, RC pro game, RC Sipe, Hull Imperial, and various others . 

Yep, but look at the prices. As it happens although I've always been prepared to pay a bit if something suits, at the moment I'm in the "various others" camp (except for the 20 bore for which I have to fork out a bit) and get what suits admirably at a more sensible price.

I always get in a muddle when looking at RC, could you confirm that the ones mentioned are 7s and not 6&1/2s?

It wasn't all that long ago that many products had a comprehensive size range but first of all the 6&1/2s were thinned out followed later by the 7s.

1 minute ago, Snoozer said:

32g ?

RC Sipe plastic wad do a 7, not sure about fibre wad version.

If people look at RC, Fiocchi, etc they will be able to get 32-36g 7 easily as the Italians love small shot and it can be added to a pallet coming over but I’d expect you’d have pay upfront and wait a while

Just now, wymberley said:

Yep, but look at the prices. As it happens although I've always been prepared to pay a bit if something suits, at the moment I'm in the "various others" camp (except for the 20 bore for which I have to fork out a bit) and get what suits admirably at a more sensible price.

I always get in a muddle when looking at RC, could you confirm that the ones mentioned are 7s and not 6&1/2s?

It wasn't all that long ago that many products had a comprehensive size range but first of all the 6&1/2s were thinned out followed later by the 7s.

They will be 6.5’s but I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. Just get out there and use them 

21 minutes ago, dodeer said:

RC Sipe plastic wad do a 7, not sure about fibre wad version.

If people look at RC, Fiocchi, etc they will be able to get 32-36g 7 easily as the Italians love small shot and it can be added to a pallet coming over but I’d expect you’d have pay upfront and wait a while

They will be 6.5’s but I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. Just get out there and use them 

Many thanks for the prompt reply. That's what I thought but was never too sure. Although the theoretical figure is a little less, me and my guns like the extra 50 pellets on offer by the "various others" as the pigeon don't.

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks for the prompt reply. That's what I thought but was never too sure. Although the theoretical figure is a little less, me and my guns like the extra 50 pellets on offer by the "various others" as the pigeon don't.

i Wouldn’t worry about it. If you need the “50 pellets extra” then you need help from an instructor. 
Just use a 30g 7 and be happy😁

12 minutes ago, dodeer said:

i Wouldn’t worry about it. If you need the “50 pellets extra” then you need help from an instructor. 
Just use a 30g 7 and be happy😁

I hear what you're saying, but I've been one since '86 and have been shooting since '58 and think I've now got the hang of it. Unless perhaps you think it's me wanting/using 32g (used to back in the day though when it was 1&1/8 oz), why should I pay extra for 30g when 28 does the job.

31 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I hear what you're saying, but I've been one since '86 and have been shooting since '58 and think I've now got the hang of it. Unless perhaps you think it's me wanting/using 32g (used to back in the day though when it was 1&1/8 oz), why should I pay extra for 30g when 28 does the job.

Ah sorry thought you we’re wanting a 32g 7. If your after a 28g then loads of choice around.

4 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

It's 32g 

Think that's probably about the size of it. The only place I've seen actual English 7's is on just cartridges and I certainly wouldn't pay them prices. I've got lucky in a few shops that have had old stock before but it doesn't happen very often. 

If i could get a 32g 7 load I'd use it for all my wing shooting. 

Assuming fibre we can knock RC of the list but add Gamebore. And you're right, there are no 32g 7s. If you look back at the history of shooting it's easy to understand the 1&1/8 oz load for a multitude of reasons many of which - and if you brought multi chokes into the equation, it is possible to say none - no longer apply. All things being equal and using the BASC's required strike rate for a pigeon sized 'target' 30g gives c2 yards extra range over 28 and 32 a further c2. This assumes the maximum energy range for 7s as 45 yards and full choke. As the 28g range is c 42 yards and we do have a little leaway with the BASC ideal we're at the ideal point whereby pattern and energy fail together but the energy will stretch a tad. OK, we can fiddle around it a bit but for all intents and purposes, that's your lot and the 28g with 7s will do nicely.

46 minutes ago, matone said:

...and Gamebore Blue Diamond 7.5`s....english No7,at a better price!

Damn me, you were supposed to keep that quiet. :whistling: And if you have an older English SbS that needs looking after, then for somewhat more but not extortionate, their Super Game Hi-bird.

11 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Anyone know the difference / pellet count of 28g 7’s VS 30g 6’s ? 🤷‍♂️

Theoretically, 7s - 336 and 6s - 286

1 hour ago, matone said:

...and Gamebore Blue Diamond 7.5`s....english No7,at a better price!

Game shooting, even cheap game shooting, is so expensive that the difference between one slab of cartridges and another makes an insignificant impact on the overall cost of a day, or season for that matter.

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

Game shooting, even cheap game shooting, is so expensive that the difference between one slab of cartridges and another makes an insignificant impact on the overall cost of a day, or season for that matter.

yes ,my wallet knows that.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I could well imagine that is true, but for me personally, game shooting is as overrated as is its cost - give me a pigeon hide any day - so I look for a good workmanlike cartridge at a reasonable cost.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Assuming fibre we can knock RC of the list but add Gamebore. And you're right, there are no 32g 7s. If you look back at the history of shooting it's easy to understand the 1&1/8 oz load for a multitude of reasons many of which - and if you brought multi chokes into the equation, it is possible to say none - no longer apply. All things being equal and using the BASC's required strike rate for a pigeon sized 'target' 30g gives c2 yards extra range over 28 and 32 a further c2. This assumes the maximum energy range for 7s as 45 yards and full choke. As the 28g range is c 42 yards and we do have a little leaway with the BASC ideal we're at the ideal point whereby pattern and energy fail together but the energy will stretch a tad. OK, we can fiddle around it a bit but for all intents and purposes, that's your lot and the 28g with 7s will do nicely

I did type a reply but it's gone, long and short was I'm just speaking from my personal experience and opinions. 

Not knocking anyone else's. 

Edited by Farmboy91

19 minutes ago, dipper said:

All  empires cartridges seem to be for game shooting .Therfore  would be better loaded in 65   671/2 cases .plus some loaded. with 7.that would make them OK for clays game And game guns.

Hes does 7.5 also. 

90% of guns used for game shooting i bet are 70mm and if you have  65mm gun you should be wary and know what to buy

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I did type a reply but it's gone, long and short was I'm just speaking from my personal experience and opinions. 

Not knocking anyone else's. 

:good:

Yep, that's all any of us can do.

Sometimes if you have an itch it just has to be scratched so why not give these new boys a call and see if they can help. You never know - before they changed hands Express knocked me out just 2000 Supreme 1 oz of 6&1/2s which they did not do routinely at the time.

6 minutes ago, wymberley said:

:good:

Yep, that's all any of us can do.

Sometimes if you have an itch it just has to be scratched so why not give these new boys a call and see if they can help. You never know - before they changed hands Express knocked me out just 2000 Supreme 1 oz of 6&1/2s which they did not do routinely at the time.

If i thought I was going to be shooting seriously anytime soon I would. 

With a bit of luck I'll be back to it in a year or so then I'll see what they can do for me, just thought I'd stick it in the thread as I can't see their social media.