Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mecman

Hw35e sighting problem

Recommended Posts

Having a problem with my 35 plus year old hw35e I get excellent groups with open sights at 30 yards but need scope now as sight not what it used to be ,i have tried two good quality scopes with same results it will put pellet on pellet for 3or4 shots then go haywire,thanks in advance for any replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mecman said:

Having a problem with my 35 plus year old hw35e I get excellent groups with open sights at 30 yards but need scope now as sight not what it used to be ,i have tried two good quality scopes with same results it will put pellet on pellet for 3or4 shots then go haywire,thanks in advance for any replies.

hello, what scopes have you tried and type of mounts ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what scopes have you tried and type of mounts ?

Hello,the first one was a hawke varmint 6-24 x 44ao the other one was also a hawke but slightly less magnification but still a good quality scope ,mounts are sports match, I’m fairly sure that there was no movement in either scope or mounts unless it was inside the scopes, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is likely to be mount creep or movement, all recoiling guns need decent mounts but air guns in particular need careful thought  when it comes to making sure the scope stays in one place, if I’m not mistaken it should have a provision for using what’s called an arrestor block although in practice good one piece mounts are just as effective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

The problem is likely to be mount creep or movement, all recoiling guns need decent mounts but air guns in particular need careful thought  when it comes to making sure the scope stays in one place, if I’m not mistaken it should have a provision for using what’s called an arrestor block although in practice good one piece mounts are just as effective. 

Thanks yes it has got provision for arrestor blocks it does have a bit of a kick to it,giving it a bit of a service at the moment polishing and debburing,any advice on best oil -grease when re-assembling,thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mecman said:

Thanks yes it has got provision for arrestor blocks it does have a bit of a kick to it,giving it a bit of a service at the moment polishing and debburing,any advice on best oil -grease when re-assembling,thanks.

I used to spend hours playing with HW35’s, they’re so easy to service but one thing I would advise against is too much polishing inside the cylinder, conventional wisdom seems to be that they need some imperfections inside to perform best. I managed to “tune” mine beautifully to the stage it really was smooth and quiet, the trouble is the power dropped to 9 ft lbs 😝, not that it mattered because with careful stalking I still managed to head shoot plenty of rabbits with it.

It’s ages since I opened any springers up but back in the day someone recommended something (I think) called Comma grease which came in a toothpaste type tube, it was surprisingly effective in quietening the spring noise although these days your best bet is simply to order one of many excellent drop in kits which come with everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have u looked at the barrel lock up leaver ?. See if its doing its job properly. 

If the barrel is moving slightly up down side to side  then the scope wont be the issue .this will also explain why u can achive good groups with open sights .

I had a similar issue with a hw 30  

Grouped with opens  but not with a scope  .

It was barrel wobble .

Edited by Ultrastu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hamster said:

The problem is likely to be mount creep or movement, all recoiling guns need decent mounts but air guns in particular need careful thought  when it comes to making sure the scope stays in one place, if I’m not mistaken it should have a provision for using what’s called an arrestor block although in practice good one piece mounts are just as effective. 

hello, scopes are ok just get a decent one piece mount, with arrestor stud, put some tissue in thread hole and screw in but not to tight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just brought a 1970 HW35 22 seller said it may need a new leather washer or spring as i live in Orpington  and want to get it looked over. Can you guys recommend some one local or in Kent as i want to keep it original

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Just brought a 1970 HW35 22 seller said it may need a new leather washer or spring as i live in Orpington  and want to get it looked over. Can you guys recommend some one local or in Kent as i want to keep it original

hello, go on the TW Chambers web site and look at the strip down parts guide for the HW 35, spring is MS 058 washer is PW077 but new type, then there are video strip down guides, look for Nick  Stanning AKA tinbum tuning.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Sorry forgot to say  I only want  a service and check over

hello, it is not that hard to strip/clean/ and replace parts, but you could try countryways gun shop in kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To oldypigeonpopper

 

Yes would love to do it my self but not sure about putting back the trigger assembly and does it have to be cocked or not . countryways guns are about twenty mins drive and I use them to buy ammo from and always so helpful to customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

To oldypigeonpopper

 

Yes would love to do it my self but not sure about putting back the trigger assembly and does it have to be cocked or not . countryways guns are about twenty mins drive and I use them to buy ammo from and always so helpful to customers.

hello,  if you do not feel up to doing a service they do repairs so worth a call when open again, did you check out that video ? Nick Stanning HW35 strip down guide and fit a tune kit,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Will check out the strip down now but did look at Nick Stanning he knows is craft so many thanks.

hello, if you decide to but a tinbum kit there are all the instructions to go with it and a free phone number but you can just buy the standard spring and piston seal from chambers like i mentioned before, if you join the UK AGF forum there maybe someone near you could help  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Thank you yet again 

I have not heard of UK AGF before so will look now. thanks

hello, uk air gun forum, lots of good advice and i know quite a few live in Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To oldypidgeonpopper 

 

Thank you for your advice yet again have now joined UK AGF and ordered a new breech seal and some  leather oil so thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

To oldypidgeonpopper 

 

Thank you for your advice yet again have now joined UK AGF and ordered a new breech seal and some  leather oil so thanks

hello, ok no problem, let us know how you get on,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend was gifted an early HW35.

Between us we gave it a total overhaul but it drove us crazy as, depite several scope and mount changes it would not hold zero.

He then sold it to somene who was hell bent on old 35

12 months later I saw the  buyer who told me went to a gunsmiths to PX the 35

the 'smith wouldn't take it and claimed the barrel was bent.

Perhaps this is the issue?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Stu might be in the right area - also pretty sure that these run shims twixt the breach block and the action sides - if run dry these will need sorting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...