Knackered dog

bicykillgaz

Hi,

recently rehomed a little springer off a friend, I’ve worked him the last 4 shoot days without issue. Yesterday has really taken it out of him though, is there anything I can give him as a treat or add to his diet to help him recover quicker after a real hard days work?

Thanks in advance

Gary

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

what protien% are you feeding him............

He has Harrington’s dry food which is 26% protein, 1 sachet of meat and an egg cracked on top. Portion wise he’s about 13kg but eats the same as my 24kg staffy Cross which is measured for his weight.

59 minutes ago, bicykillgaz said:

He has Harrington’s dry food which is 26% protein, 1 sachet of meat and an egg cracked on top. Portion wise he’s about 13kg but eats the same as my 24kg staffy Cross which is measured for his weight.

sounds good .:good:perhaps he/she needs to build up its strength bit by bit...which will come over a while 

what do you feed it on a shoot day in the morning ?

53 minutes ago, ditchman said:

sounds good .:good:perhaps he/she needs to build up its strength bit by bit...which will come over a while 

what do you feed it on a shoot day in the morning ?

We’ve always fed our dogs at night so in a morning it’s literally toast a few treats and my pack up at lunch, I normally add extra sausage rolls, ham and other dog friendly human food.

If it's just tired at the end of the day I would ensure he is washed off, checked for no injuries and dried off, nice and warm, fed and watered and somewhere comfortable. 

How often are you working him? It might just not be used to the amount of work and the dogs needs to build fitness etc, after a heavy gym session the best recovery is good food, and rest. 

Are you taking the dog out for big walks etc the next day? Dog might need a day off to just relax after shoot days? 

I know some of the lurcher boys will give the running dogs a day or two kennel rest after a big night of work. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

If it's just tired at the end of the day I would ensure he is washed off, checked for no injuries and dried off, nice and warm, fed and watered and somewhere comfortable. 

How often are you working him? It might just not be used to the amount of work and the dogs needs to build fitness etc, after a heavy gym session the best recovery is good food, and rest. 

Are you taking the dog out for big walks etc the next day? Dog might need a day off to just relax after shoot days? 

I know some of the lurcher boys will give the running dogs a day or two kennel rest after a big night of work. 

I’ve had him for roughly 2 months now, previously he was a kitchen/garden dog who was barely walked. Since I’ve had him he’s been getting a quick 15-20 mins walk in a morning, 45mins in an evening, then most weekend days I’ve had him in the woods training and getting him use to working with the starter pistol. He’s also been with me on 2-4 shoot days every other Saturday.

He was very confident this week and worked hard, you would think he’d been doing it years (still working on retrieving at the minute though). Didn’t walk him Saturday evening or at all Sunday though, Monday day he seemed tired but back to normal in the evening.

I'm going to feed him a proper meal in the morning next time and see if he’s any better. Cheers.